Dry Hop

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: Dry Hop

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:52 pm

To dry hop, I add the hops to the corny keg at the same time refrigerate and pressurize with CO2.

When you remove the hops (I suppose they are inside a bag) is there any foaming problems due to Carbonation?
Or you carbonate the beer aftet removing the hops?
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby NewEnglandBrewer » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:25 pm

Luis Coentrao wrote:
To dry hop, I add the hops to the corny keg at the same time refrigerate and pressurize with CO2.

When you remove the hops (I suppose they are inside a bag) is there any foaming problems due to Carbonation?
Or you carbonate the beer aftet removing the hops?

After secondary fermentation and aging has completed, I transfer the beer to the corny keg and add the dry hops. In the past I used hop bags. Now I use 2 5/8" x 11 1/2" 300 Micron Stainless Corny Keg Dry Hop Filters made by http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/brew ... ydryhopper .

Immediately after filling the corny keg with beer and hops, I place the corny keg in the refrigerator and pressurize with CO2 using about 40psi. After 2 days, I taste the beer. If the beer has enough hop flavor, I remove the pressure from the keg, open the keg, and remove the dry hops. If the beer needs more hop flavor, I will wait another day and taste it again. Then I will either remove all hops or replace the hops with fresh hops if more flavor is needed. I have never had a problem with the beer foaming. Although, If I left the keg open for a long period of time, it is certain that all CO2 will eventually bubble out of the beer.

Also, after tasting the beer, if the beer needs more CO2 I continue to keep the pressure at 40 psi, otherwise I drop the pressure to about 12 to 15 psi.

cheers!
:cheers:
NewEnglandBrewer

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby leosardinha » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:40 pm

Dicko wrote:
leosardinha wrote:The 18-20C is due to the fact that the hop oils are better extracted at this temp than at cool temps.

I hope you are correct mate,

I have just been called away for work and wont be home until the earliest of Wednesday or Thursday next week. I have dry hopped an APA last Sunday but now I have to put it in the fridge until I get home.
This will be a time of around 12 days so when I get back I will post comments on here as to how it went being dry hopped for that length of time under cold conditions.

I based my statement on a study from Oregon State University which is quite long, but you can find a summary here.

http://inhoppursuit.blogspot.fr/2012/02 ... -holy.html

The highlights are:

* Beer samples dry hopped for one day had significantly more aroma than beer dry hopped for 7 days.

* Second, the rapid extraction rates were likely influenced by the temperature of the solution (23.3C, which may not be representative of real world conditions)
leosardinha

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:42 pm

leosardinha wrote:
Dicko wrote:
leosardinha wrote:The 18-20C is due to the fact that the hop oils are better extracted at this temp than at cool temps.

I hope you are correct mate,

I have just been called away for work and wont be home until the earliest of Wednesday or Thursday next week. I have dry hopped an APA last Sunday but now I have to put it in the fridge until I get home.
This will be a time of around 12 days so when I get back I will post comments on here as to how it went being dry hopped for that length of time under cold conditions.

I based my statement on a study from Oregon State University which is quite long, but you can find a summary here.

The highlights are:

* Beer samples dry hopped for one day had significantly more aroma than beer dry hopped for 7 days.

* Second, the rapid extraction rates were likely influenced by the temperature of the solution (23.3C, which may not be representative of real world conditions)

Interesting read, thanks for the link.

Based on that I shouldn't be too worried about my hops being in there for twelve days.
In any case I will report back with my observations.

The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:55 pm

After secondary fermentation and aging has completed, I transfer the beer to the corny keg and add the dry hops. In the past I used hop bags. Now I use 2 5/8" x 11 1/2" 300 Micron Stainless Corny Keg Dry Hop Filters made by http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/brew ... ydryhopper .

Are you happy with the hop filter? Better than bags?
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby NewEnglandBrewer » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:14 pm

Luis Coentrao wrote:Are you happy with the hop filter? Better than bags?

Luis, I am very happy with the hop filter.
It is easier to use than the bags. I just drop the filter loaded with hops into the corny keg. To remove it, I use sanitized tongs to reach in and pull it out.
Also, it is very easy to clean.
Cheers :cheers:

John
NewEnglandBrewer

Unread postby NewEnglandBrewer » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:25 pm

Dicko wrote:

Interesting study.
I have to think about it to see if it is consistent with my semi-scientific experimental observations.

I typically dry hop beer with pellets while the beer is cooled between 5 C and 10 C.
I find I gain little flavor or aroma after 3 or 4 days. But, the bitterness seems to increase beyond the 3 or 4 days. .
NewEnglandBrewer

Unread postby leosardinha » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:37 pm

I did loose hops versus hops in a voil bag.

Loose hops have a definite edge.

Also I think that any extended contact would leave grassy flavors.

The only long dry hop I did, which was 14 days due to a travel resulted on that.
leosardinha

Model: 50 litres

Previous

Return to General Brewing Discussions