Dry Hop

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Dry Hop

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:06 pm

Hi guys,

Can I ask you a few simple questions?

1. How do you usually perform dry hopping? During fermentation or lagering phase? In a carboy or keg?
2. When you do dry hopping, how do you manage beer carbonatation? Dry hop first and carbonate afterwards, or the opposite? Natural carbonatation or "Forced CO2"?
3. For how long do you usually leave the dry hops in the fermentor/keg?

P.ex., You have a beer in the primary fermentor (carboy). Fermentation reaches your predicted FG and you have made the maturation in the carboy (diacetyl rest). You intend to transfer the beer to a Keg for dry hop and carbonatation. At the end you'll transfer the beer from the keg to bottles and serving keg.

I should you manage with dry hop and carbonatation?
a) Transfer the beer from the carboy to the keg, dry hop, remove the dry hop bag, start carbonatation, cold crash at the end?
b) Transfer the beer from the carboy to the keg, perform simultaneously carbonatation and dry hopping, cold crash, remove the dry hop bag at the end?

:cheers:
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Re: Dry Hop

Unread postby leosardinha » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:29 pm

1. How do you usually perform dry hopping? During fermentation or lagering phase? In a carboy or keg?
I do it on the primary carboy, after the fermentation + diacetyl rest is done.
2. When you do dry hopping, how do you manage beer carbonatation? Dry hop first and carbonate afterwards, or the opposite? Natural carbonatation or "Forced CO2"?
DH first and Forced CO2 afterwards
3. For how long do you usually leave the dry hops in the fermentor/keg?
From 2 days to maximum 7 days.
Baleia Brewing Co.
leosardinha

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:33 pm

my preferred method (not always possible due to logistics): ferment to completion, transfer to a keg purged with CO2 and with dry hop pellets in already, if doing second dry hop add to keg, leave 4-7 days at ~18-20 degrees for each dry hop, cold crash at 1-4 degrees for at least 2 days, transfer to new keg and force carbonate immediately
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:25 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for the usefull information :beer:

Three further questions:
- Any reason to be at 18-20ºC (for Ales, I think) during dry hopping? To let yeast activity go on?
- Why first dry hop and after carbonation? Can't we do it simultaneously?
- Do you see any possible advantage of natural carbonatation instead of forced CO2?
Luis Coentrao

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:33 pm

18-20: because that's room temperature where i leave the keg! you will get additional yeast activity for sure, or at least more CO2 will be released.

dry hop first and then carbonate: i don't want hops in my serving keg. the particles clog the dip tube, clog the poppet valves, come out in the beer, and make cleaning awful. bits of hop 'dust' in the beer make it super bitter. that's why i cold crash the beer to get all this stuff to settle out, and then transfer to a new keg. i know some people put hops in a bag inside the keg and then just leave it in there, carbonate and serve. i don't do it so can't comment. others say that if you leave the hops in the beer more than a week or two you start to get vegetal/grassy flavors. again, i don't know.

natural carbonation is easier and cheaper, but the result is the same, sorry to anyone who thinks it's not.... dissolved CO2 is dissolved CO2. bottle conditioned vs. bottles filled with already carbonated beer, sure there will be some difference in time due to yeast activity and whatever else, different processes. but if i'm dry hopping a beer it's because i want fresh hop flavors, i don't want to keep that beer more than a few months, and i want to keep it as cold as possible until i drink it. so it's usually force carbonated, kept nice and cold. natural carbonating in the keg is great though, especially when the kegerator is full.
dinnerstick

Unread postby niels » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:25 pm

I only dry hopped once and added the hop pellets after main fermentation (around 22°C) in the primary and unplugged the temp controller. Ambient temperature was about 17~18°C and let these sit for a few days before cold crashing. Due to timing problems the hops were in it for 10 day (6 of which at 4°C). I always bottle, so I siphoned off the beer from the yeast/hops trub into a bottling bucket. The beer came out pretty nice.

I have another brew in the fermentation fridge which will be bottled on August 24. Main fermentation is almost over so I will cold crash in a few days. On the 17th I will add the dry hops when the beer is still cold. I have no idea if adding the hops when the beer is cold will influence the dry hopping in either positive or negative way. I'll let you know how it turned out.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:52 pm

niels it *should* affect the amount of time it takes to extract the flavors you want from the dry hop, so at a lower temperature it should take longer than the normal ~4 days. i have read (somewhere?) that the longer amount of time you need at a lower temperature can bring out the 'grassy' hop flavors. i have no proof that this is the case, have never tested it. have you searched other homebrew forums? i bet someone has tested different dry hop temperatures. as far as i know, ie from brewers that i know personally and ones i have heard interviewed on 'can you brew it', commercial breweries tend to dry hop 16-20 degree range.
dinnerstick

Unread postby niels » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:54 pm

Ok, that means that I'll either have to use a secondary or raise the temperature after cold crashing...

Since it is about 60 litres and I don't have a second vessel that size I'll have to rethink my strategy.

(It's actually not a Braumeister brew, but one of our "club" brews.)

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:44 pm

Ok, that means that I'll either have to use a secondary or raise the temperature after cold crashing...

Do you feel that warming the beer to 16°C after cold crash could increase off-flavors?
Luis Coentrao

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:50 am

i don't see why it would, that's what has happened to beer on the shelf at the bottle shop...
dinnerstick

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:54 am

I've read some comments regarding beer oxidation due to high temperature exposure:

http://www.professorbeer.com/articles/o ... _beer.html

What do you think about it?
Luis Coentrao

Unread postby niels » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:57 am

Luis Coentrao wrote:

Do you feel that warming the beer to 16°C after cold crash could increase off-flavors?

The only thing that might happen is that some proteins etc. that settle down will dissolve again in the beer, but I think it will be minimal.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby leosardinha » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:22 pm

The 18-20C is due to the fact that the hop oils are better extracted at this temp than at cool temps.
Baleia Brewing Co.
leosardinha

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:05 pm

leosardinha wrote:The 18-20C is due to the fact that the hop oils are better extracted at this temp than at cool temps.

I hope you are correct mate,

I have just been called away for work and wont be home until the earliest of Wednesday or Thursday next week. I have dry hopped an APA last Sunday but now I have to put it in the fridge until I get home.
This will be a time of around 12 days so when I get back I will post comments on here as to how it went being dry hopped for that length of time under cold conditions.

The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby NewEnglandBrewer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:15 pm

I bitter my beers with hops in the boil. But, for flavor hops, I dry hop.

To dry hop, I add the hops to the corny keg at the same time refrigerate and pressurize with CO2.

The most important advise I can suggest is this.
Do not leave the hops in the corny keg longer than 3 days. You will get flavor from the hops for the first few days. After that, you will gain nothing but more bitterness. If you do not have enough hop flavor after 3 days of dry hopping, remove the hops from the corny keg and add fresh hops.
cheers
Last edited by NewEnglandBrewer on Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NewEnglandBrewer

Next

Return to General Brewing Discussions