S-04 experiences

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

S-04 experiences

Unread postby luk-cha » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:56 pm

Does anyone have much experience with this yeast, as i have my fridge set to 18C and after 10 days in primary it has a massive banana aroma and flavor - esters with it, i have it cold conditioning now at 5C, is this a common trait with this yeast of should i have set my temp to be 2-3C lower?
Last edited by luk-cha on Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
luk-cha
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:54 am
Model: 20 litres

Re: US-04 experiences

Unread postby leosardinha » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:30 pm

are you talking about the S-04(English Ale) or US-05(american Ale)?
leosardinha
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:06 am
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Model: 50 litres

Re: US-04 experiences

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:48 pm

luk-cha wrote:Does anyone have much experience with this yeast, as i have my fridge set to 18C and after 10 days in primary it has a massive banana aroma and flavor - esters with it, i have it cold conditioning now at 5C, is this a common trait with this yeast of should i have set my temp to be 2-3C lower?


I have used this yeast extensively over many years of brewing and I have never had this yeast throw a banana flavour.
In fact I believe this yeast to be quite clean in its fermentation.
I generally set my fermentation temp for this yeast to 19 deg but in days gone by I have just fermented beers at ambient (around 22) with no real off flavours.

I would say that the brew you have done has been underpitched thus giving you the banana.
Maybe the pack that you pitched was old or had been stored badly.
Did you rehydrate it?
What sort of beer where you making?

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

Re: US-04 experiences

Unread postby leosardinha » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:37 pm

if it is S04, the only thing I get when I ferment over 20C is a little bit of saltiness.

tried to ferment at 22C to get some fruity esters for a bitter ale, got some but after the Diacetyl rest it was all gone.
leosardinha
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:06 am
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Model: 50 litres

Re: US-04 experiences

Unread postby luk-cha » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:55 am

Dicko wrote:
luk-cha wrote:Does anyone have much experience with this yeast, as i have my fridge set to 18C and after 10 days in primary it has a massive banana aroma and flavor - esters with it, i have it cold conditioning now at 5C, is this a common trait with this yeast of should i have set my temp to be 2-3C lower?


I have used this yeast extensively over many years of brewing and I have never had this yeast throw a banana flavour.
In fact I believe this yeast to be quite clean in its fermentation.
I generally set my fermentation temp for this yeast to 19 deg but in days gone by I have just fermented beers at ambient (around 22) with no real off flavours.

I would say that the brew you have done has been under-pitched thus giving you the banana.
Maybe the pack that you pitched was old or had been stored badly.
Did you rehydrate it?
What sort of beer where you making?

:cheers:


yes it is S-04 bought new with well over 12 months left on the best before stored at 2C in my fridge - using it for a zombie dust clone!

1 pack for a 5G brew, so i dont think it was under pitching as these should be good for 30 liters, yes i re hydrated it in a 110ml of cooled wort @ 27C (first time i had done this/ this was advised by fermentis personally as i had been to a talk by them recently)

I was expecting it to be clean too, just making the hops more fruity and a little residual sweetness compared to US-05, as from what i have read about it on their website fermentis says this has less esters than US-05, but when i use 05 i normally ferment it at 16C setting for my ambient temp
luk-cha
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:54 am
Model: 20 litres

Re: US-04 experiences

Unread postby luk-cha » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:57 am

leosardinha wrote:if it is S04, the only thing I get when I ferment over 20C is a little bit of saltiness.

tried to ferment at 22C to get some fruity esters for a bitter ale, got some but after the Diacetyl rest it was all gone.


interesting thanks, never had a brininess with any of the yeast i have used - but i am bitterly dissapointed with my result thus far with this yeast
luk-cha
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:54 am
Model: 20 litres

Re: S-04 experiences

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:36 am

i can't say for sure as i haven't used this yeast in years, was never hugely impressed with it so use other english strains, but all of these should ferment way warmer than s05, which is quite happy even at 15, so i'm with dicko, likely an underpitch. the other thing, perhaps not unrelated, is it's odd that fermentis told you to rehydrate in wort, as the point of rehydrating is to get the cells in suspension in water before subjecting them to wort! if you're gonna put them in wort before wort, i don't see the point.

i know it's not a what-english-strain-do-you-like thread but for me fullers/1968/002 is the go-to strain, fermented low (18-19) for quite neutral and higher (21-22) for estery. love it, even though it's a wee bit temperamental.
User avatar
dinnerstick
 
Posts: 979
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:51 am
Location: Utrecht NL
Model: 20 litres

Re: S-04 experiences

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:59 am

Get in contact with fermentis and ask them if they have other reports of this, it could be a duff batch, these things do happen.

Do you still have the packet with the batch numbers?
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
User avatar
BrauTim
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:03 pm
Location: England
Model: 50 litres

Re: S-04 experiences

Unread postby luk-cha » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:13 pm

dinnerstick wrote:i can't say for sure as i haven't used this yeast in years, was never hugely impressed with it so use other english strains, but all of these should ferment way warmer than s05, which is quite happy even at 15, so i'm with dicko, likely an underpitch. the other thing, perhaps not unrelated, is it's odd that fermentis told you to rehydrate in wort, as the point of rehydrating is to get the cells in suspension in water before subjecting them to wort! if you're gonna put them in wort before wort, i don't see the point.

i know it's not a what-english-strain-do-you-like thread but for me fullers/1968/002 is the go-to strain, fermented low (18-19) for quite neutral and higher (21-22) for estery. love it, even though it's a wee bit temperamental.


I am only really able to get dry yeasts, so i am limited a little, as to the ones you advise, i do like WL007 myself i have had some beers made with that and its great flavor

Well i had always hydrated before in water at 34C again about 30 mins before i would add it too the wort, but it was after the ferment talk that they suggested 27C wort, thus it was my first brew after that talk so i thought perhaps that is the best way, in fact i had also done it with some nottingham and just last week with US05 so i am hoping that this is not the issue;

As to the fermentis fact sheet for both S04 and US05 from their website this is what they advise;

rehydration instructions
Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 27°C ± 3°C (80°F ± 6°F). Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes.
Gently stir for 30 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F). Progressively sprinkle
the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes, then mix the
wort using aeration or by wort addition.
luk-cha
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:54 am
Model: 20 litres

Re: S-04 experiences

Unread postby luk-cha » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:15 pm

BrauTim wrote:Get in contact with fermentis and ask them if they have other reports of this, it could be a duff batch, these things do happen.

Do you still have the packet with the batch numbers?


well i will try this yeast again, as i do have a couple more in the fridge, but it will try it my normal way - i am not sure if the codes are the same as this just used, but if they are i will save the next ones just in case - and will touch base with them!
luk-cha
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:54 am
Model: 20 litres

Re: S-04 experiences

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:51 pm

BrauTim wrote:Get in contact with fermentis and ask them if they have other reports of this, it could be a duff batch, these things do happen.

Do you still have the packet with the batch numbers?


That is a good point. :cheers:

Quite a few years ago it became evident in Australia that Danstar Nottingham had a bad batch.
I was lucky, I had not bought any of that yeast. :D
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

Re: S-04 experiences

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:49 pm

Check out this thread seems to be common for brewers to have problems with S04:

http://www.bear-flavored.com/2012/12/of ... ng-my.html
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
User avatar
BrauTim
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:03 pm
Location: England
Model: 50 litres


Return to General Brewing Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest