5l mini kegs

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

5l mini kegs

Unread postby Victor Coelho » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:07 pm

Hi guys!
Who else besides me uses mini kegs?
I use it with a Party Star Deluxe CO2 system but I'm having too much foam, let's say half and half.
The CO2 is only for dispensing not carbonation therefore I use the same priming amount as for bottles.
But when I buy any commercial 5l keg, I get a great tap with the same system.
Is anyone else having this same issue?
Victor Coelho

Model: 20 litres

Re: 5l mini kegs

Unread postby niels » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:16 pm

As far as I know these kegs should not be primed the same as bottles. You should use way less (like 2gr/l IIRC).

I have thought about buying one of these but I don't see me drinking 5l of the same beer in a short period.

- Niels

EDIT: I checked the website of the reseller and it states max. 3gr/l.
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby culblanc » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:00 pm

Yes, I use those 5 l minikegs a lot, with a CO2 cartridge tapping device called Party King Fazz Fizz (Deluxe GTi Turbo Intercooler or something like that, the most expensive of them).Ten pints in a handy container.

I use a little less priming sugar than in the bottles, about 5 g/litre . Otherwise there's a risk of bursting kegs. It has happened to me two times, that's why I also keep the minikegs in a plastic box or bucket during the conditioning at room temperature, covered with a towel, just to be safe.

(And yes, the first 2 pints or so are almost entirely foam, so you might want to pour the first liter on a pitcher first. It settles down and you can drink it later on.)
culblanc

Unread postby Victor Coelho » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:11 pm

Thanks guys!
I'll do that next time.

Niels, the CO2 prevents oxidation.
After the first tap for one week it goes just fine, I've tested it.
Victor Coelho

Unread postby Sportyone » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi,

Do you need to prime, if your filling the minikeg from a corny keg that has already been force carbonated?

Stephen
Sportyone

Unread postby perdido » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:25 pm

I have used 5l minikegs in the past with mixed results.
I don't change the priming rate for the minikegs although I tend to carbonate on the low end.

I've gad issues with the party star deluxe tap... it leaks CO2 half the time and alsoit must have an internal leak. When serving beer, it comes out of the tap but also from around the shaft and seal on the handle.

I have had to throw away beer because if metallic off taste coming from damaged kegs that did not seem damaged from the outside (no dents).
perdido

Unread postby culblanc » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:26 am

perdido wrote:I have had to throw away beer because if metallic off taste coming from damaged kegs that did not seem damaged from the outside (no dents).

Minikegs are not eternal, they have a coating inside which gets deteriorated during time. They must be sanitized chemically, not by heat. Maybe the metallic taste is due to a too old keg? I use mine only 5-6 times before metal recycling.

Hopefully the long plastic tube that is inserted in the keg is not screwed tight enough into the tap base. If the leak is somewhere inside the device, it may be hard to repair, so compact is the structure.
culblanc

Unread postby royco » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:32 am

culblanc wrote:
perdido wrote:I have had to throw away beer because if metallic off taste coming from damaged kegs that did not seem damaged from the outside (no dents).

Minikegs are not eternal, they have a coating inside which gets deteriorated during time. They must be sanitized chemically, not by heat. Maybe the metallic taste is due to a too old keg? I use mine only 5-6 times before metal recycling.

Hopefully the long plastic tube that is inserted in the keg is not screwed tight enough into the tap base. If the leak is somewhere inside the device, it may be hard to repair, so compact is the structure.

Is it not more viable to buy a 9L Corny? They are expensive but last forever. I use a cheap party tap and 4m or so of the thinner 3/16" tube and get a great pour.
royco

Unread postby perdido » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:02 am

royco wrote:
culblanc wrote:

Is it not more viable to buy a 9L Corny? They are expensive but last forever. I use a cheap party tap and 4m or so of the thinner 3/16" tube and get a great pour.

My mini kegs were fairly new and had been treated gently. I feel that my problem came from not drying thoroughly the kegs. They do not drain well and I did leave them upside down for a couple of days. I think that moisture collected right around the opening. I noticed rust spots in this area after discarding the tainted beer.

Corny kegs would be ideal but are rather expensive in Europe even though they are made in Italy. They go for as much as 150 € for 19l while 5l mini kegs are 7 €.
Also space is at a premium here.

Used corny kegs are also very rare here. Fountain soft drinks were not very common for a number of years and now soft drink companies have moved away from cornelius type kegs and are using bag-in-box set ups.

Also refridgerators are not as big as in the USA for instance. It is already hard enough to fit a 5 l mini keg in euro sized fridges.

I used to live in the US and back then I had a kegerator that I put together spending less than 150 $ total including a second hand fridge, 3 used corny kegs, CO2 cylinder and regulator, taps and all. It was that cheap back then and you could find just about everything second hand.
perdido

Unread postby royco » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:31 am

Yes, valid point. In South Africa the "half" size (9Litre) Corny's are about EUR90 which is damned expensive. I only bought one and luckily have a double door "larder-type" fridge (now a kegerator) which can take 2 Corny's on each level, i.e. four altogether. As you know the 9L has the same footprint as the full size Corny so in a regular fridge it would take a lot of space!
royco

Unread postby perdido » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:50 am

royco wrote:Yes, valid point. In South Africa the "half" size (9Litre) Corny's are about EUR90 which is damned expensive. I only bought one and luckily have a double door "larder-type" fridge (now a kegerator) which can take 2 Corny's on each level, i.e. four altogether. As you know the 9L has the same footprint as the full size Corny so in a regular fridge it would take a lot of space!

OK, I did find 9L corny kegs here for around 90€ as well. Like you said, still a large footprint for a regular fridge.
I would like to get a kegerator with 19L cornies, but not enough space. I already have an extra refrigerator with temperature control for fermentation purposes so I have a hard time justifying a third fridge in the house.
perdido

Unread postby royco » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:28 am

I know, perdido, my wife is getting very nervous about my obsession. Looking for a good psychiatrist. :)
royco

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:19 pm

As Roy mentioned the Corney kegs are quite expensive in South Africa. I have gone with 20l slim line kegs (tri-lobe spear) which were approximately E65 each (brand new). Also managed to pick up a second hand fridge for less than E40 at a fridge repair shop. (Per the repairer it stood in a garage and the owners wife drove into it - sides are scratched but suits my purpose 100% :D )

Still waiting for my braumeister - spending "smaller amounts" on all the accessories although the wife has commented that this is quite an expensive hobby :cheers:
Fritzkellerbrau

Unread postby perdido » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:38 pm

Expense is one issue but space is another one!! I would have a hard time finding a spot for the keggerator.
My partner has no issues with my beer brewing hobby, I'd say she enjoys beer more than me!
I have more concerns about the electricity bill going up the roof with 3 fridges running in the summertime. I have no A/C and it can easily get over 30ºC inside in the summer months.
perdido

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:21 pm

Here are two interesting concepts when it comes to mini kegs that may interest some on here,

Re use a 5 litre keg

A cheap mini keg system

Cheers
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Return to General Brewing Discussions