Rice Hulls

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: Rice Hulls

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:42 pm

Rooster wrote:Do u need rice hulls with a braumeister? I am looking at a roggenbier with a large amount of rye, and the recommendation is for rice hulls to prevent clogging.

I've brewed 3 wheat beers now with 70% wheat without using rice hulls, I give the mash a couple of stirs at 30 min intervals as the circulation can slow, I also condition my malt before milling to get the crush level and consistency I feel works for me.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Batz » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:31 am

Just as a interesting note, agricultural supply stores sell bails of rice hulls for horse bedding. Very cheap.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:01 am

Batz wrote:Just as a interesting note, agricultural supply stores sell bails of rice hulls for horse bedding. Very cheap.

Batz

According some of the Adelaide guys they sell it in rural stores for lining chook pens and laying boxes.

When I asked the rural stores over here on the Eyre Peninsula they said that they never stock it and would never get it in as any one with chooks use hay / straw or shell grit from the beach.

I washed some yesterday in a mash tun and now I am trying to dry it. Being winter it is a bit slow to dry. :D
All that being said, I am still not that keen on using them but overnite mashing is now worrying me. :?
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:57 pm

BrauTim wrote:
Rooster wrote:Do u need rice hulls with a braumeister? I am looking at a roggenbier with a large amount of rye, and the recommendation is for rice hulls to prevent clogging.

I've brewed 3 wheat beers now with 70% wheat without using rice hulls, I give the mash a couple of stirs at 30 min intervals as the circulation can slow, I also condition my malt before milling to get the crush level and consistency I feel works for me.

Hi Tim,

Do you condition wheat too?
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby zoigl » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:31 pm

After being impressed by reading Dicko's experiment with washing rice hulls, I now regularly make a tea with the hulls in my 5L jug. I use 2 litres volume of rice hulls, and pour 2 kitchen kettles of boiling water over them and leave to soak overnight. The next day I drain them in a seive. I add some before adding the crushed grain to the BM, some part way and some at the end of the adding the grain. In effect making a filter bed at the bottom, middle and top of the malt pipe.
The wet rice hulls do not float.
I do not crush the rice hulls as some-one seems to have suggested.
After 40 odd brews, and finding a lot of ways of how not to brew in a BM, I still can't get my head around why one would need to stir the mash, surely the pumps and pump interruptions do this for us?
Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!
zoigl

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:41 am

I would like to add here that drying the hulls after washing was almost impossible and resulted in me throwing what I didn't use, away.

Zoigl's method above is about the simplest way to use these rice hulls and as he said, just wash 'em the night before you are brewing so to have them ready to go.

Also have to agree that I find no need to stir a mash during the BM function. The only time I touch the grain in the mash is when I sparge and then it is only to stir the top 1/4 of the bed so that the sparge water doesn't run straight through the mash in the hole caused by the centre shaft.
I might add that I lift the malt pipe clear of the BM and place it in another pot / bucket then just pour all the sparge water on top of the malt pipe and as the kettle comes to the boil the sparge water slowly runs through the grain bed. It is a slow sparge because the red rubber seal forms a partial seal between the malt pipe and the bottom of the pot / bucket.
When the sparge is done I remove the malt pipe and tip the wort into the kettle.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby zoigl » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:55 am

Dicko, Gaganis has a lot of gear for making wine, they have nylon/plastic paddles and spoons with super long handles. I lift the malt pipe just enough to get the "U" saddle thingy under the supports, then stick one of these long handles down the hole left by the central SS post.
I also leave the top sieve and filter in place and lauter through this, I find leaving everything in place seem to spread the lauter water more evenly.
I picked up a super wide bowl from the guy selling el cheapo chinese kitchen ware at North Arm market and use this to collect the remainder of the wort
PM me if you want me to pick up anything for you.
zoigl

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:17 pm

Hi zoigl,
If understand correctly you use the handle of the spoon to seal the hole in the grain left by the centre rod on the BM? ......what a simple idea :idea:

Thank you for the offer mate, I am coming to Adelaide before the end of the month for a flying visit to pick up my daughter from hospital after an operation so I will get a chance to do a little bit of "shopping" while I am there.

When I am given more time, possibly in the new year, it would be great to meet you and talk brewing :D

Next time I brew I will try to get some pics of me sparging into my pot but will be looking for a suitable long handle as I hate lifting that top plate and mesh as it is a process that is messy.

:cheers:
Dicko

Unread postby zoigl » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:55 pm

Hi Dicko
Give me a call when you are in Adelaide.
I do not lift the top filter and sieve, it stays together until I dump the grain into the wheel barrow watched by hungry chooks, 3 chooks can get through the spent grain in about a week.
I have an electric winch set into the ceiling, and haul the tube out with that.
I have a hospitality industrial stainless steel "tea" trolley, so I can move the BM away and dump the tube onto a tray to collect more wort.
zoigl

Previous

Return to General Brewing Discussions