Rice Hulls

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Rice Hulls

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:56 am

After this was mentioned in another topic I though I would find the old pics and post the info on here.

I was using rice hulls in my mash on my 3V brewery to prevent stuck mashes when lautering but I was concerned about a certain flavour that appeared in my beer so I did a little experiment.

I took a handfull of rice hulls and I put them in a vessel and added hot water and then tipped the resulting liquid into a beer glass
IMG_0501.jpg
IMG_0501.jpg (11.62 KiB) Viewed 974 times

I then did it again with the same rice hulls.
IMG_0502.jpg
IMG_0502.jpg (10.37 KiB) Viewed 974 times

And again for the third time.
IMG_0507.jpg

As you can see, the liquid is quite discoloured and as Batz alluded to in another topic here...it doesn't taste very well at all.

My plan now is if I have to use rice hulls I will use an old esky cooler mash tun that I have and wash the hulls thoroughly before use, or avoid using them at all. :wink:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Re: Rice Hulls

Unread postby cpa4ny » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:13 am

Hi Dicko - interesting, thanks for the write-up :beer:

In "Brewing Better Beer" (if I remember correctly) Gordon Strong mentions that he adds half a pound (~200 gr) of rice hulls into every batch for smoother lautering.

Just curious what was the quantum of the rice hulls that you used in your experiment?

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:33 am

cpa4ny wrote:Hi Dicko - interesting, thanks for the write-up :beer:

In "Brewing Better Beer" (if I remember correctly) Gordon Strong mentions that he adds half a pound (~200 gr) of rice hulls into every batch for smoother lautering.

Just curious what was the quantum of the rice hulls that you used in your experiment?

Mate, I have been searching other forums for the original post but unfortunately I haven't found it yet. When I do I will add the details here.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:49 am

Ah!! just found it.

Here is the topic from another forum and apart from a bit of "off topic " banter it will give you all the details of the experiment.

Please note guys...the reference to "rice gulls" and not "rice hulls" is a carry over joke from another forum where a guy made a typo and hit the "G" instead of the "H" on the qwerty keyboard.

Niels, if I have broken forum rules by directing readers to another forum then please feel free to delete my link and this post. :cheers:
Dicko

Unread postby Rooster » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:04 am

Do u need rice hulls with a braumeister? I am looking at a roggenbier with a large amount of rye, and the recommendation is for rice hulls to prevent clogging.
Rooster

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby cpa4ny » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:08 am

Many thanks.

Makes me wonder if there are "brewing-grade" rice hulls (i.e. thoroughly washed and dried) and "regular" rice hulls (i.e. just bagged as is after getting the rice out with all the gunk and all).

I bought some from LHBS previously and don't believe I had any color / flavor contribution.

Where do you source your rice hulls from, if you don't mind me asking?

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:21 am

I get mine from BeerBelly Brewshop in Adelaide. I don't know where they source there hulls but I would imagine because of the cost being so cheap that they would not be pre washed as this would be labour intensive and would add to the price of the retail product.

:cheers: :drink:
Dicko

Unread postby cpa4ny » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:27 am

Palmer does recommend to wash them thoroughly:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-2.html

Unread postby niels » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:15 am

Dicko wrote:Niels, if I have broken forum rules by directing readers to another forum then please feel free to delete my link and this post. :cheers:

The internet consists of useful links, so this forum shouldn't be different. I don't have any problem linking to other forums (or websites in general) as I'm not focused on the number of daily visit but rather on the quality of the content of this forum.

On-topic: I did read about this taste of rice hulls before and never used them. But if washing them thoroughly works well I might try them in e.g. a wheat beer. Last time the pumps had problems pushing through the 50% pilsner/50% wheat grist.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:23 am

i can't seem to find them here, but can find oat hulls, which i have used a few times in the BM, for example in a witbier with around 50% flaked wheat. i didn't rinse them so now am curious about what i extracted. the weird thing with using them is that even if you mix them in with the grist beforehand they seem to all float up to the top when you are doughing in, and then just stay there, where really they aren't needed. dunno if rice hulls are different?
dinnerstick

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:26 am

niels wrote:
Dicko wrote:Niels, if I have broken forum rules by directing readers to another forum then please feel free to delete my link and this post. :cheers:

The internet consists of useful links, so this forum shouldn't be different. I don't have any problem linking to other forums (or websites in general) as I'm not focused on the number of daily visit but rather on the quality of the content of this forum.

On-topic: I did read about this taste of rice hulls before and never used them. But if washing them thoroughly works well I might try them in e.g. a wheat beer. Last time the pumps had problems pushing through the 50% pilsner/50% wheat grist.

- Niels

Thanks Niels, I agree but some forum owners don't allow links to other HB sites.

I have had a slow recirculation of wort when I used flaked oats in a beer.
I am currently washing some to see if I can clear them up but I don't know how I am going to re dry them for storage.
If it doesn't work I will just wash them the day before brew day.

As far as taste goes I can't see any need to have to use them in a delicate Pils or similar as the BM has no problems with recirculation.
I just wont do a Pils with an overnite mash if I have to use rice hulls.

:cheers: :beer: :drink:
Dicko

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:30 am

dinnerstick wrote:i can't seem to find them here, but can find oat hulls, which i have used a few times in the BM, for example in a witbier with around 50% flaked wheat. i didn't rinse them so now am curious about what i extracted. the weird thing with using them is that even if you mix them in with the grist beforehand they seem to all float up to the top when you are doughing in, and then just stay there, where really they aren't needed. dunno if rice hulls are different?

Rice hulls appear to float as well but after they become fully water logged they seem to mix more with the husks from the other malt.

When I had my 3v I stirred them through the mash a few times to mix them in.
Dicko

Unread postby Elderberry » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:32 am

Rooster wrote:Do u need rice hulls with a braumeister? I am looking at a roggenbier with a large amount of rye, and the recommendation is for rice hulls to prevent clogging.

What's a "large amount?" I've done a 20% rye beer on the brauwmeister without a problem.
Elderberry

Unread postby cpa4ny » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:44 am

Elderberry wrote:
Rooster wrote:Do u need rice hulls with a braumeister? I am looking at a roggenbier with a large amount of rye, and the recommendation is for rice hulls to prevent clogging.

What's a "large amount?" I've done a 20% rye beer on the brauwmeister without a problem.

BJCP actually defines roggenbier style as having => 50% of rye: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style15.php

For beers with such significant amounts of either wheat or rye, I personally wouldn't brew without a good pound of rice hulls.

Unread postby royco » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:06 am

Am using rice hulls for the first time today on a 50L Wit, after heeding Dicko's advice and rinsing thoroughly 3 times. I used 0.5kg and it seemed to help a bit but I still removed the top sieve twice during the mash to stir it up a bit. Last time the mash jammed solid and I went into panic mode as it had never happened before. The recipe has 4kg flaked wheat and 3/4kg flaked oats, so the mash became a real porridge!
My local supplier says for that reason he uses wheat malt instead of flaked.
Any personal experience with this? This is only my second Wit and the first one tasted really good; even my wife, a non-beer drinker, loves it, so I don't want to mess with it too much :)
royco

Next

Return to General Brewing Discussions