Using Northern Brewer to up the IBUs

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Using Northern Brewer to up the IBUs

Unread postby niels » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:33 pm

I just formulated a recipe for my brew tomorrow. The recipe is based on a recipe that I was given by my nephew: "Liquid Black", a Black IPA.

Since I will not use the Sinamar to darken the colour I call my version "Liquid Not-So-Black", a Not-So-Black IPA, but when reviewing the ingredients I noticed that the Simcoe I have in stock is 11.70% AA instead of the 14% AA used by him. This way I lack about 9 IBUs...

I have a new package of Citra 13.70% AA in stock, but I want to avoid opening it just yet. So my next high % AA hop is Northern Brewer. It comes in at 9.00% and I would need about 11 gr in a 90 minute boil to compensate the missing IBUs.

The original hop additions:
Code: Select all
Simcoe    14.00%    30 gr    90 Min.   38 EBU
Simcoe    14.00%    25 gr    15 Min.   15 EBU
Simcoe    14.00%    20 gr    0 Min.    0 EBU
Simcoe    14.00%    25 gr    Dry       0 EBU

My replacement:
Code: Select all
Northern Brewer  9.00%    11 gr    90 Min.   9 EBU
Simcoe          11.70%    30 gr    90 Min.   32 EBU
Simcoe          11.70%    25 gr    15 Min.   12 EBU
Simcoe          11.70%    20 gr    0 Min.    0 EBU
Simcoe          11.70%    25 gr    Dry       0 EBU

Also... his recipe was made using BeerSmith and the bitterness is calculated as 65 IBUs. When I use the Tinseth formula manually I only get 53 IBUs with his additions. Thats a big difference...

My question: would the Northern Brewer addition add any flavour and disturb the all-Simcoe recipe? Or is a 90 min boil long enough to drive off all its flavour and only impart its bitterness?

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Re: Using Northern Brewer to up the IBUs

Unread postby Elderberry » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:05 pm

I don't think adding NB at 90 min will change the flavor much. In fact, I think Simcoe at 90 min is a waste of simcoe. If it were my recipe, I would maybe do all NB at 90 (or 60 - you won't notice a difference) and shift some simcoe to around 30.

I wouldn't worry too much about the IBU's. I'd focus more on hops flavor instead. You'll have plenty of bitterness.
Elderberry

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Elderberry » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:07 pm

Oh, and simcoe and NB should work pretty nicely together.
Elderberry

Unread postby leosardinha » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:04 pm

Elderberry wrote:I don't think adding NB at 90 min will change the flavor much. In fact, I think Simcoe at 90 min is a waste of simcoe. If it were my recipe, I would maybe do all NB at 90 (or 60 - you won't notice a difference) and shift some simcoe to around 30.

I wouldn't worry too much about the IBU's. I'd focus more on hops flavor instead. You'll have plenty of bitterness.

I was going to say the same, most of my recipes I use a clean bittering hop, like columbus for example at 60 minutes. And the hops I want aroma or flavour contribution I add with maximum 15 minutes to the end of the boil.

If I were you, I would put like 50gr of NB at 90min and split those 30gr of simcoe between flameout and dry hopping
leosardinha

Unread postby niels » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:25 pm

Ok, this way I can get the NB cleared out and add a little more Simcoe aroma :)

Thanks for the confirmation!

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:34 pm

there are those who would suggest even 90 minutes isn't long enough to boil simcoe....
i'm not one of them, i tend to like it, but it can divide a crowd.
i also use it in my tried and tested black ipa recipe, but with columbus and centennial. actually it's mostly centennial
dinnerstick

Return to General Brewing Discussions