Maltsters / Malting Companies

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Maltsters / Malting Companies

Unread postby niels » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:44 am

I'm working on a little thingy and I want to gather as much malt analysis sheets as possible to build up a database of malts.

Currently I have the following maltsters:
- Best Malz (Germany)
- Briess (USA)
- Castle Malting (Belgium)
- Dingemans (Belgium)
- Muntons (UK)
- Weyermann (Germany)

The following maltsters are mentioned in one of the replies below:
- Bairds (UK)
- Barrett Burston (Australia)
- Blue Lake (Australia)
- Crisp (UK)
- Fawcett (UK)
- Great Western (USA)
- Holland Malt (The Netherlands)
- Joe White (Australia)
- Rahr (USA)
- Schill (Germany)
- Simpsons (UK)
- Viking Malt (Finland)
- Warminster (UK)

Do you know other maltsters and maybe even a link to or a copy of a typical malt analysis sheet?

:cheers:
- Niels
User avatar
niels
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:08 pm
Location: Belgium
Model: 50 litres

Re: Maltsters / Malting Companies

Unread postby fy0d0r » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:56 am

fy0d0r
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:10 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Model: 50 litres

Re: Maltsters / Malting Companies

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:02 am

Sounds like a major undertaking! :beerbang:

I can think of a couple of more maltsters:
- Bairds (UK)
- Fawcett (UK)
- Crisp (UK)
- Great Western (USA)
- Rahr (USA)
- Schill (Germany)
- Simpsons (UK)

I further understand that there are quite a few maltsters in Australia / NZ; however, I haven't tried their malts yet.
_______________________
20L BM user from Singapore
User avatar
cpa4ny
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:54 am
Location: Singapore
Model: 20 litres

Re: Maltsters / Malting Companies

Unread postby Hoppyone » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:31 am

There is a couple of Australian Malting companys :beer:

Barrett Burston
Joe White
Blue Lake

Cheers
Hoppyone
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:55 pm
Location: Brisbane Australia
Model: 20 litres

Re: Maltsters / Malting Companies

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:03 am

Holand Malt NL
User avatar
dinnerstick
 
Posts: 979
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:51 am
Location: Utrecht NL
Model: 20 litres

Re: Maltsters / Malting Companies

Unread postby Oz11 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:41 am

Warminster, UK
FV: Oatmeal Stout
Cond: US Amber
On MiniKeg: Summit IPA, Dogbolter, Jaipur, 1930's Courage Stout
Bottled: Triple Stout, English Wheat Beer, Salem Porter, Triple Stout '15, JHB, Fuggles/EKG Bitter, Exmoor Gold, APA, Foundryman's Gold, Whitbread 1905 XK, US IPA, Irish Stout, SNPA, Autumn Mild, US Stout, Boadicea Bitter, Single Hop Boadicea, Milk Stout

http://www.PubsAndBeer.co.uk
User avatar
Oz11
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:05 pm
Location: Tonbridge, Kent. UK. Brewing at the Rockin Robin Brewery (15BBL), Maidstone.
Model: 20 litres

Re: Maltsters / Malting Companies

Unread postby niels » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:01 am

cpa4ny wrote:Sounds like a major undertaking! :beerbang:

I'm setting up a database and hope that it will be maintained by "the crowd", but I need a basic list of maltsters and their products to get a sample database going.

It's probably not a project that will see daylight in a few weeks, but rather when the weather is becoming colder and I stay inside more :)

But... I do use the figures of "my" maltsters already in another project: a recipe builder :)

I should win the lottery so I can free up my schedule and complete all these nice ideas I have!

- Niels
User avatar
niels
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:08 pm
Location: Belgium
Model: 50 litres

Re: Maltsters / Malting Companies

Unread postby Cervantes » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:01 am

Niels,

Here's something similar that I started and didn't get around to finishing.

Malts.xlsx
Malts
(21.13 KiB) Downloaded 53 times


It may, or may not, be of some use to you.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
User avatar
Cervantes
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:54 am
Location: Cervantes, Western Australia
Model: 20 litres

Re: Maltsters / Malting Companies

Unread postby rocketman » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:11 am

niels wrote:
cpa4ny wrote:Sounds like a major undertaking! :beerbang:

I'm setting up a database and hope that it will be maintained by "the crowd", but I need a basic list of maltsters and their products to get a sample database going.

It's probably not a project that will see daylight in a few weeks, but rather when the weather is becoming colder and I stay inside more :)

But... I do use the figures of "my" maltsters already in another project: a recipe builder :)

I should win the lottery so I can free up my schedule and complete all these nice ideas I have!

- Niels


Niels, what are you writing it in (programming language)? Anything you are thinking of open sourcing in the end? Want some more hands on it, I don't
have a ton of time, if it's open source I'm allowed to put some hours on it even at work :beer:
User avatar
rocketman
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:18 pm
Location: Sweden
Model: 20 litres

Re: Maltsters / Malting Companies

Unread postby paulg » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:15 am

niels I dont know if this is of use
Attachments
malt ref chart.odt
(16.96 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
paulg
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:49 am
Location: corfu greece,formally suffolk/essex border england
Model: 50 litres

Re: Maltsters / Malting Companies

Unread postby paulg » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:27 am

paulg
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:49 am
Location: corfu greece,formally suffolk/essex border england
Model: 50 litres

Re: Maltsters / Malting Companies

Unread postby cpa4ny » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:16 am

The only issue here is that malt analysis sheets are batch-specific and data will vary from batch to batch, let alone year to year.
_______________________
20L BM user from Singapore
User avatar
cpa4ny
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:54 am
Location: Singapore
Model: 20 litres

Re: Maltsters / Malting Companies

Unread postby niels » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:53 pm

Cervantes wrote:Here's something similar that I started and didn't get around to finishing.

Thanks! This saves me some typing ;)

@Paul: Thanks for the info! I'll add them to the list.

rocketman wrote:Niels, what are you writing it in (programming language)? Anything you are thinking of open sourcing in the end? Want some more hands on it, I don't
have a ton of time, if it's open source I'm allowed to put some hours on it even at work :beer:

On my day job I mainly use .NET/C#. I'll possible go with Mono/C#, but I didn't decide anything yet. I'm still in the planning phase with some trials in a spreadsheet to test formulas etc. There is not even a decent concept (Web? Mobile? Offline? Combination of the previous?). I'll let you know when I start planning the actual development. Parts of the project (e.g. the core logic) will be open-sourced, but I can imagine that I will not open-source e.g. a possible front-end.

cpa4ny wrote:The only issue here is that malt analysis sheets are batch-specific and data will vary from batch to batch, let alone year to year.

This is true. But as with all recipe calculations we have to compromise. Most maltsters provide typical malt analysis sheets with min/max extraction. This is usable for homebrewers who are working with averages anyway.

- Niels


- Niels
User avatar
niels
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:08 pm
Location: Belgium
Model: 50 litres

Re: Maltsters / Malting Companies

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:09 pm

Hi Niels,

There is another maltster in Australia.
Powells Malts are based in Victoria / Melbourne.

They don't appear to have a website unfortunately.

I used their malt years ago. From memory it is under modified and requires the brewer to modify mash steps accordingly. It is also floor malted.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

Re: Maltsters / Malting Companies

Unread postby niels » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:47 pm

Dicko wrote:Hi Niels,

There is another maltster in Australia.
Powells Malts are based in Victoria / Melbourne.

They don't appear to have a website unfortunately.

I used their malt years ago. From memory it is under modified and requires the brewer to modify mash steps accordingly. It is also floor malted.

Thanks! I will focus on the main players first, but I'll add it to the list for completeness.

- Niels
User avatar
niels
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:08 pm
Location: Belgium
Model: 50 litres

Next

Return to General Brewing Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron