Starter for dry yeast

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: Starter for dry yeast

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:07 pm

Luis Coentrao wrote:
I have bought dried yeast in bulk packs of 500 gramms and made starters from smaller amounts by using the calculator on Brewers Friend but these days I am getting lazy and that is a lot of work to vacuum seal so many small packages.

Hi Dicko,
I'm thinking getting a dry yeast 500g pack and split it into small 20g packs with vacuum seal. I'll keep them in the freezer at minus 2C.
Did you have good experience with this? For how long did you store them?

It is not recommended to store yeast in the freezer.
I store all yeast in the fridge and a packet of dried yeast will last a couple of years this way.
By buying the bulk pack and repacking it you can select the correct amount of yeast for your brew volume and this way avoid making a starter.
Just be aware that different brands of dried yeast have varying pitching rates for different beers.
For example Danstar Nottingham has a rate of 1 gramm per litre but Fermentis S04 has a rate of around half that from memory, so pack your yeast in the required size to gain the best value for your work effort in repacking it.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi Dicko,

I use fermentis dry yeast. Fermentis suggest to store at temperature below 10C. Is there any problem to store at temperature between -2 to 0C?

Other thing, did you get any problems with repacking?
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:24 pm

Luis, I think the manufacturer means below 10 deg c in a fridge and maybe not at freezing temps.
I have only ever stored yeasts in a fridge but dried yeast maybe OK in a freezer....I am just not 100% sure that it will be OK stored that way.
I do know that freezing is not suitable for liquid yeasts unless you are prepared to store them under glycerine, but that is another topic entirely.

When vacuum sealing yeast don't try to make the packets too small or you may draw some dry yeast from the packet into the sealing machine.
I will take a picture of mine later and post it on here if you like.

The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:39 pm

Dicko,
Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
Waiting for the picture
Luis Coentrao

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:26 am

Wait no longer Luis, here it is.... :lol:

image.jpg
Dicko

Unread postby Cervantes » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:32 am

Dick, just for an idea of scale. Is that an A4 sheet of paper?

Also where do you get your bulk yeast from?

Cheers
Andy
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby malzrohr » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:04 pm

Steven Deeds has posted a number of nice articles about experiments he performed on yeast growth,viability, etc. as a function of all kinds of parameters on his blog. He uses Fermentis yeast in most of his experiments.
This article describes how he observed that when rehydrating yeast the lowest viability was seen in the yeast that sank first, and the highest viability was in the container that sunk last. I.e. you'll have more viable yeast when it floats longer on the service and thus has time to properly rehydrate. So basically, he confirms what is written on the back of the package...

I have applied this with the following procedure by first giving the fermenter a good shake to aerate the wort. Then I sprinkle the yeast evenly on top of the thick foam layer formed, which prevents the yeast from sinking. After 20 mins. or so a nice yeasty foamy layer has formed on top of the wort foam, after which I swirl the fermenter and let the yeast do the work.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:30 pm

This is a timely subject for me with alot of useful info, I have been given 500g of Mauri Ale 514 which is out of date by 2 years, still in its vacuum packed brick, I've had it in the freezer for a few months now waiting for me to use up my existing stocks of yeast before I try repackaging using a vacuum packer and testing for viability.

What is the infection risk of repackaging?
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:19 pm

Nice one Dicko :beer:

Great posts :beerbang:
Luis Coentrao

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:30 pm

Cervantes wrote:Dick, just for an idea of scale. Is that an A4 sheet of paper?

Also where do you get your bulk yeast from?

Cheers
Andy

Yes Andy it is an A4 sheet.

I usually purchase bulk packs from Craftbrewer in Brisbane as he seems to be the only one that sell it this way.

Dicko

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:51 pm

malzrohr wrote:Steven Deeds has posted a number of nice articles about experiments he performed on yeast growth,viability, etc. as a function of all kinds of parameters on his blog. He uses Fermentis yeast in most of his experiments.
This article describes how he observed that when rehydrating yeast the lowest viability was seen in the yeast that sank first, and the highest viability was in the container that sunk last. I.e. you'll have more viable yeast when it floats longer on the service and thus has time to properly rehydrate. So basically, he confirms what is written on the back of the package...

I have applied this with the following procedure by first giving the fermenter a good shake to aerate the wort. Then I sprinkle the yeast evenly on top of the thick foam layer formed, which prevents the yeast from sinking. After 20 mins. or so a nice yeasty foamy layer has formed on top of the wort foam, after which I swirl the fermenter and let the yeast do the work.

Some great information there, thank you for those links. :D

Dicko

Previous

Return to General Brewing Discussions