Allocating fermenters.

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Allocating fermenters.

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:20 pm

Hi all,
I have recently brewed a Belgian Blonde Ale and it is currently sitting in the secondary fermenter in the fridge awaiting priming in a corny keg.
The fermenter that I used to brew the Belgian has since been employed to brew a mid strength Australian Lager for my son and when I took a gravity sample last night and of course took the mandatory taste it has an ever so slight hint of the Belgian yeast in it.
My question is should I keep this fermenter for only for Belgians and Saisons now or do I need to review my cleaning regime of the fermenters?
I use Sodium Percarbonate for cleaning and Starsan for sanitation followed by a liberal dose of boiling water for rinsing.
I have been using this method for years without incident and am a bit dissapointed that it has seemed to have failed me on this occasion.
I would appreciate you views.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Re: Allocating fermenters.

Unread postby Batz » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:04 am

I don't normally post this because brewers get their hops in a knot.

After I have brewed in a fermenter I fill it with water and a good dose of bleach, this sits for a day or three. I then rinse and fill with clean water for a day or three, next time I brew with it I do the Phos. Acid sanitizing thing. I've not noticed a carry over flavour, before this I did most defiantly have some carry over flavour.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby paulg » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:36 am

batz
what is the phosphoric acid sanitation thing?,I have the acid for water treatment so I am interested in the sanitising information
paulg

Unread postby niels » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:27 am

Batz wrote:After I have brewed in a fermenter I fill it with water and a good dose of bleach, this sits for a day or three. I then rinse and fill with clean water for a day or three, next time I brew with it I do the Phos. Acid sanitizing thing. I've not noticed a carry over flavour, before this I did most defiantly have some carry over flavour.

I suspect you also use plastic fermentors? I've heard about using bleach to get rid of the beer smell in plastic fermentors, but I've also been warned for bleach flavour in the beer afterwards. The theory is that bleach could end up in small cavities in the wall and is released afterwards in the beer. But I would think this isn't a problem if you rinse it with warm water and let it soak with clean water for 3 days.

I might try it out with a heavily used plastic fermentor that has a nice beer colour and smell. :)

paulg wrote:batz
what is the phosphoric acid sanitation thing?,I have the acid for water treatment so I am interested in the sanitising information

StarSan is mainly phosphoric acid with some other stuff.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Batz » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:16 am

I turn them upside down and they air dry for a week or two until it's back to their turn again. I believe all the bleach or chlorine has dissipated by then.

Yes ATM I'm using plastic fermenters.

And yes phosphoric acid is basically Starsan, I buy phosphoric acid buy the 20lt drum. One drum will last my life time, 3ml to 1 liter.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby cpa4ny » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:06 am

I use plastic fermenters.

An overnight soak in PBW (caveat - never scrub inside - the chemical soak does the trick) + an hour of StarSan makes a very freshly-smelling fermenter :cheers:

Never had any issues with smell/taste carryovers from previous batches :beer:

Unread postby niels » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:36 am

cpa4ny wrote:An overnight soak in PBW (caveat - never scrub inside - the chemical soak does the trick) + an hour of StarSan makes a very freshly-smelling fermenter

That's getting pretty expensive if fill the fermentor completely and use the prescribed doses of PBW/StarSan, not?

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby royco » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:46 am

I toss mine in the swimming pool for a few days, then high pressure spray and all the goo seems to come off without scrubbing. Then swill 5L of diluted Cl02 for 10 mins or so. That will get rid of any strange substances from the pool. The chlorine in the pool provides some sanitization but is too diluted to be absorbed in big enough amounts to be noticeable.
royco

Unread postby cpa4ny » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:42 am

niels wrote:
cpa4ny wrote:An overnight soak in PBW (caveat - never scrub inside - the chemical soak does the trick) + an hour of StarSan makes a very freshly-smelling fermenter

That's getting pretty expensive if fill the fermentor completely and use the prescribed doses of PBW/StarSan, not?

- Niels

I use couple of tablespoons' worth of PBW + hot water from the faucet.

Works fine.

In my book - an infected batch due to sanitation issues is even more expensive :wink:

Unread postby Elderberry » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:20 am

Dicko wrote:Hi all,
I have recently brewed a Belgian Blonde Ale and it is currently sitting in the secondary fermenter in the fridge awaiting priming in a corny keg.
The fermenter that I used to brew the Belgian has since been employed to brew a mid strength Australian Lager for my son and when I took a gravity sample last night and of course took the mandatory taste it has an ever so slight hint of the Belgian yeast in it.
My question is should I keep this fermenter for only for Belgians and Saisons now or do I need to review my cleaning regime of the fermenters?
I use Sodium Percarbonate for cleaning and Starsan for sanitation followed by a liberal dose of boiling water for rinsing.
I have been using this method for years without incident and am a bit dissapointed that it has seemed to have failed me on this occasion.
I would appreciate you views.

:cheers:

If you cleaned, dried and sanitized after the previous brew rather than go straight from one batch to another, I highly doubt you are getting any influence from a previous yeast. If the yeast didn't all die off, you probably got other beasties in there as well, and that you'll notice. As they say in America, RDWHAHB (relax, don't worry, have a home brew).

By the way, there's no need to rinse after using Starsan. Just drain well.
Elderberry

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:15 pm

I think you are correct Elderberry,
I have tasted it over the last couple of days and it is now getting worse.
I very rarely have a beer that is "off" but this appears to be the exception now.
I will be tipping this beer in the morning.
I was hoping that it was a carry over flavour but it is now obvious that it is not. :x :|
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Elderberry » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:44 am

That's a bummer. I was hoping it was just a case of odd flavors on young beer.
Elderberry

Unread postby IPA » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:38 pm

Dicko wrote:I think you are correct Elderberry,
I have tasted it over the last couple of days and it is now getting worse.
I very rarely have a beer that is "off" but this appears to be the exception now.
I will be tipping this beer in the morning.
I was hoping that it was a carry over flavour but it is now obvious that it is not. :x :|

Does It taste smell like what is sold here under the name of 'Dettol' which is an antiseptic? If so you should look at your rinsing procedure as even a small amount of chlorine will produce this. Incidently I use Calcium Hypochlorite which is available from your local swimming pool suppliers. It's 68% unstabilised chlorine and 1 teaspoon in 25 litres of warm will clean and sanitise the most grubby vessel if left for 24 hours. Rinse thoroughly after use as usual.
IPA

Unread postby niels » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:23 pm

IPA wrote:Incidentally I use Calcium Hypochlorite which is available from your local swimming pool suppliers. It's 68% unstabilised chlorine and 1 teaspoon in 25 litres of warm will clean and sanitise the most grubby vessel if left for 24 hours. Rinse thoroughly after use as usual.

That's a coincidence. I just got a left-over can of this stuff from my father-in-law to use in our inflatable swimming pool. I will try this instead of bleach.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:42 pm

My method of cleaning my fermenters is
Rinse out the trub and yeast with a hose and town water supply.
Soak with hot water and Sodium Percarbonate for a minimum of 6 hours.
Rinse with hose from town water supply.
Add 2 litres of Starsan and swirl it around to ensure contact to all surfaces.
Allow to stand until ready for the next use.
Tip out Starsan and allow to drain upside down.
Dismantle tap, clean and place in boiling water with Starsan.
Assemple tap and fit to fermenter.
Fill with " The Golden Nectar" for fermentation.

On reflection, I think I used a fermenter that had only been washed with Sodium Percarbonate and had not been sanitised with Starsan due to a bit of confusion when storing said fermenters.

I might add that I absolutely hate tipping beer out but fortunately I have not had to tip for quite a long time until now. :(
Dicko

Next

Return to General Brewing Discussions