Pressure cooking wort for starters

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Pressure cooking wort for starters

Unread postby grooves » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:08 pm

Has anyone here tried pressure cooking starter wort?

I'm thinking of switching to this method as I'm tired of boil overs and waiting for boiled wort to cool before pitching yeast when creating starters. I've already got a pressure cooker that I use for keeping a frozen yeast bank, so I'd only have to invest in some Kilner jars or 1l reagent bottles.
grooves

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Pressure cooking wort for starters

Unread postby mashy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:17 am

That's an interesting idea. I can see you've come at the problem from a completely different angle.

I solved boil overs and speeded up cooling. I gave up on starters & Rehydration, because I don't think there is a measurable gain (depending on your yeast source).

I will give it some thought. Hopefully I am brewing this weekend. Cold overnight.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby grooves » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:37 am

Well I also build starters not only to increase viability and vitality for the brew, but also so there's enough of it that I can take samples to freeze. I've recently started this in earnest to save money on yeast.

I too will be brewing this weekend - Brulosophy MACC IPA http://brulosophy.com/recipes/macc-ipa-by-ray-found/
grooves

Unread postby mashy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:11 am

Absolutely agree with that - play that game myself.

I have to say I'm getting idle at that too - I just steal a pop bottle full [lunchbox size] out of the brew. (I know I can hear the screaming from here)
mashy

Unread postby Mick Van » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:33 am

Hello,
I use a drop of Fermcap to avoid boil overs. Really works.
For example:
https://www.ebay.es/itm/Kerry-FermCap-S ... 1438.l2649
Regards
M
Mick Van

Unread postby mashy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:03 am

What did your granny do with a pan of milk boiling over... Blew on it.

So I built a hood that fits in the top with vents around it and never hop until after hot break. Really does work.
mashy

Unread postby IPA » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:54 am

mashy wrote:What did your granny do with a pan of milk boiling over... Blew on it.

So I built a hood that fits in the top with vents around it and never hop until after hot break. Really does work.

My granny used a thing called a 'Milksaver' a pyrex disc that went into the saucepan :lol:
Joking aside to prevent boil over mix the DME with boiling water and then boil it. It works every time. Don't know why but it does.
IPA

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mashy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:37 am

IPA wrote:

My granny used a thing called a 'Milksaver' a pyrex disc that went into the saucepan :lol: .

:beer:

Still available...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/METALTEX-GLASS ... way&sr=8-1

... and no they won't !! :D
mashy

Unread postby grooves » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:34 pm

Thanks for the suggestions - mixing with boiling water and then boiling hasn't worked for me in the past, FermCap is an option but I want to minimise the ingredients used in the production of my beer, the MilkSaver is a new one to me - but it won't fit in the Erlenmeyer flask. I think I'll try the pressure cooked wort for convenience, I just need to decide between Kilner jars and reagent bottles - maybe I'll try one of each the first time.
grooves

Return to General Brewing Discussions