Thermometer Strip Reliability question

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Thermometer Strip Reliability question

Unread postby royco » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:17 am

I have an STC1000 to control my fermentation fridge. The probe is in a 1-litre bottle of water to even out the switching (is this a good or bad idea?).
Problem is, the thermo-strip on the Speidel 60L fermenter shows a 1~2°C higher temp than the STC reading. The fermentation is exothermic, but surely the STC should be able to cope.
It probably doesn't matter about the slight disparity as this is an Amber Ale with US05, set-point 17°C and thermo-strip 19°C. Ferm going nicely.

The temp by either method is in the ideal range for 05 but I'm just curious as to what the experienced brewers do.
royco

Model: 50 litres

Re: Thermometer Strip Reliability question

Unread postby niels » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:36 am

You could put the strip on a jar of water and put the STC-1000 probe in the water. This way both should show the same temperature, no? You can add a calibrated thermometer in the mix to make sure which is the closest to reality.

You can define a preset difference on your STC-1000 by setting the value for F4.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby royco » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:36 am

Thanks Niels, good information. I never got to the F4 setting as I didn't RTFM :oops:
royco

Unread postby niels » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:51 am

royco wrote:Thanks Niels, good information. I never got to the F4 setting as I didn't RTFM :oops:

Voila... Here you go. :)

STC-1000 Operation Instructions.pdf
(903.37 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Victor Coelho » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:21 pm

You should place the probe on the wall of the fermenter vessel with some kind of isolation as shown above.
Placing it in the water bottle will only control the bottle temp not the fermenter.
Victor Coelho

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby royco » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:50 pm

Hey Victor, now that's a brilliant way to do it. There will always be a lag using a small bottle. Will do this immediately.

And thanks Niels; I lost the instructions so this will help.
royco

Unread postby royco » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:13 pm

Victor, are you following the football? We had it here in 2010 and it was amazing.
royco

Unread postby Victor Coelho » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:08 pm

Yeap!
Right now I'm watching France x Switzerland drinking the one that was in the fermenter!
Life couldn't be better!

Victor Coelho

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:58 pm

There is a manufacturer here in Australia that makes THESE

They allow you to measure the actual temperature of the fermenting wort at any time during the ferment.
The advantage of this is that it will give you the correct reading as the fermentation temperature is hotter during the first couple of days and then settles down for the rest of the fermentation.

Having posted this info I currently use the probe strapped to the side of the fermenter method under a piece of foam for insulation.
I allow two degrees difference for the first two days and then turn my controller up two degrees to compensate after the krausen has began to subside.
For example if the recommended temp for fermentation is 19 deg c then I set my controller on 17 deg c for approx two days then turn it up to 19 deg c on day three and for the rest of the ferment.
I based my method on results that others have posted on other forums and it seems to work OK for me.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Return to General Brewing Discussions