Ph5.2 Stabilizer

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Ph5.2 Stabilizer

Unread postby Rich.T » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:41 am

Has anyone used this product and is it worth it?
Ive had a water report done from Murphy's (specialized for beer water) and they have listed the required chemicals and quintiles needed for my water to suit different styles of beers. I understand getting the hardness and calcium right but to get the pH right you have to test the mash 15 mins into it the add what ever to correct said mash.
This product appeals to me as it takes this process out but does it effect the beer in any way?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Rich.T

Model: 20 litres

Re: Ph5.2 Stabilizer

Unread postby grooves » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:05 am

I have never used it personally, but I don't hear good things about it. Grainy taste to beer, little effect on pH, excessive sodium etc. It contains some of the same salts you will add based on your water report - so it will mess the amounts needed up.

I'd suggest either not worrying about it unless you have hard water like me, then use cheapo bottled water for light beers (or 50/50 split with tap), and tap water for dark beers. Or do it properly by investing in a decent pH meter and some phosphoric acid and use the bru'n water spreadsheet - then you can control the pH to match the beer style.

Can you post the water report here? - I'd be interested to see what information they give. I've just been using the yearly report from my water provider - free from their website, but probably not as accurate.
grooves

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Rich.T » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:45 am

I think that I may as well go down the proper route than the easy fix way. Attached is my report. Cost me 35quid so I think I need to invest in some other means of doing it myself so I can make my own adjustments.
I'm looking forward to seeing the results from taking their recommendations.http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5c41ba27f2de0/3998%20Richard%20Taylor.pdf

Rich.T

Unread postby grooves » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:35 pm

The two biggest jumps in quality of my beer were - 1) fermentation temperature control and 2) pH control of the Mash. If you nail these two I promise you your homebrew will be better than the pub.

You just need the values from the raw liquor column. Then use brewing salts / acid to do the rest based on this spreadsheet https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/ - then you can tune to style - I use the generic yellow balanced etc profiles as a target. Getting within 5.2 - 5.5 reliably and you'll also see a modest jump in efficiency too.

I have this pH meter now and I can recommend it - http://hmdigital.com/product/ph-200/ - less than 60 quid on amazon now, maybe better on ebay somewhere
grooves

Unread postby Rich.T » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:03 pm

grooves wrote:The two biggest jumps in quality of my beer were - 1) fermentation temperature control and 2) pH control of the Mash. If you nail these two I promise you your homebrew will be better than the pub.

You just need the values from the raw liquor column. Then use brewing salts / acid to do the rest based on this spreadsheet https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/ - then you can tune to style - I use the generic yellow balanced etc profiles as a target. Getting within 5.2 - 5.5 reliably and you'll also see a modest jump in efficiency too.

I have this pH meter now and I can recommend it - http://hmdigital.com/product/ph-200/ - less than 60 quid on amazon now, maybe better on ebay somewhere
I have the fermentation fridge up and running.
I just need to nail the water. I reckon with a couple more brews I should be something like.
The next step after that is getting a kegerater fixed up. I'll have to sweet talk the missus first. Nowt wrong with bottling for now though

Rich.T

Unread postby Aleman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:12 pm

One of the biggest wastes of time and money you can buy!

Seriously it won't even produce a pH of 5.2 in distilled water, what hope will it have in the mash.

Even Charley Talley who owns 5 Star has said it was produced for ONE brewery with a specific problem ... It hasn't stopped him from selling it though even though it just doesn't work!!!

Get your alkalinity in the correct range for the beer style you want to brew (~15 for pale beers up to ~125 for dark ones) ... Measure it with aSalifert Total Alkalinity test kit, adjust with acids CRS if you must, or hydrochloric / sulphuric, if you want more control over the 'flavour profile'

Add calcium salts to hit 100ppm if required. use calcium sulphate for hoppier styles and calcium chloride for maltier styles.

That's it simples!
Aleman

Unread postby Winklehoc » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:12 pm

Where do you get your hydrochloic or sulphuric acid and what concentration do you recommend to buy.
Winklehoc

Unread postby Aleman » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:37 am

I am lucky enough to source mine from Niche solutions via a not so local brewery, I get sulphuric in 25% and hydrochloric at 35%. I dilute them back to working solutions 1Molar in the case of sulphuric and 2Molar in the case of Hydrochloric ... that way the same volume of either acid neutralises the same equivalent of alkalinity
Aleman

Return to General Brewing Discussions