Five litres of wort left in the BM

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Five litres of wort left in the BM

Unread postby Kronos » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:05 pm

Once I have cooled down my boiled wort to the required temperature I transfer to the fermenting vessel using the BM tap, the tap stop dripping with 5 litres of wort still in the BM. Is there a modification or replacement tap that I could fit so it leaves a lot less than 5 litres in the BM. I know I could tilt the BM but all the weight is transferred onto the display screen if you do this and obviously I do not want to crack it.

I have a BM 20L plus so I could also transfer to the FV using the drain tap which would leave zero wort in the BM but this would also include all the bits etc, I suppose if there was a small pipe that could be plugged into the drain tap hole on the base of say 1 cm it could stop the bit being sucked out.

All advise would be appreciated, thank you.
Kronos

Model: 20 litres

Re: Five litres of wort left in the BM

Unread postby Schmurf » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:31 pm

I'm able to tilt my BM10 somewhat before it hits the screen, I probably leave a litre, or so, in my kettle. I think I've been reading on this forum someone making a mod to their BM using the pump inlet/outlet to drain the kettle, thus being able to get all of the wort out, with trub and all. I don't remember now what thread or how he/she did it, but I'm guessing a tee attachment and a spigot on the pumps outlet pipe?
Schmurf

Unread postby Everhopfull » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:36 pm

When I used to gravity drain my BM I think I just lifted and tilted for the last little bit to avoid putting any weight on the control panel.
Or open up the drain tap and empty the last 5 litres through a sanatised fine mesh colander.?
Everhopfull

Unread postby mashy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:33 am

Do a good whirlpool. Use the lower tap.

A bit of trub is not a bad thing, and will settle out during fermentation.

I have blanked off my main tap.
mashy

Unread postby IPA » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:59 am

Use a BacBrewing Springer and without tilting there will be just one litre of wort left in a 20 litre BM and 2 litres in a 50. Make sure that you have at least a 70 cm drop into the FV via a hose when transfering in order to get enough suction.
IPA

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Everhopfull » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:09 pm

I use the Springer filter myself and can't recommend it highly enough. If your set up can't facilitate a 800mm+ drop I would advise using a pump. Notice Brew Uk sell a modified Springer to fit the BM Plus.
Everhopfull

Return to General Brewing Discussions