Mashing

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Mashing

Unread postby Kronos » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:53 pm

I have been reading a couple of recipe books for brewing ales 'Home Brew Beer' states a single mash of 60 minutes while 'CAMRA's Brew Your Own British Real Ale' states a single mash of 90 minutes.

Doe the extra half an hour make a difference?

Thank you

Mark
Kronos

Model: 20 litres

Re: Mashing

Unread postby IPA » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:48 am

The late Graham Wheeler was one of the most experienced homebrewers. If he reccomends ninety minutes then who are we to argue. He also said that in most cases the conversion will be complete in one hour. His best book ever is the European Beers one. A bit pricey but worth every penny.
IPA

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mashy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:07 am

I have tried both and can't see the difference - so I am 60 mins. For a day brew.

That said there will be a gain - its just how small vs how long.

That said I am converting my recipes to cold overnight mashing so I am now moving to 180 mins....ask me again in 6 months :D
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Wezzel » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:34 pm

I tend to mash in at 40 deg then do 30 minutes at 66 deg, 30 minutes at 67 deg and then a 15 minute mash out for 15 minutes at 78 deg.

By the time you allow for ramping up temperatures it’s the equivalent of about 90 minutes.

It just works for the style of beers I like so I just stick with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wezzel

Return to General Brewing Discussions