PBW or VWP Cleaner

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

PBW or VWP Cleaner

Unread postby Nashbrew » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:00 pm

Up until now I have been using PBW, but there seems to be a nationwide shortage is VWP a good alternative?
Don't forget to wake up breathing!
Nashbrew

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: PBW or VWP Cleaner

Unread postby f00b4r » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:24 pm

Nashbrew wrote:Up until now I have been using PBW, but there seems to be a nationwide shortage is VWP a good alternative?

The Malt Miller sells what is essentially a clone.
f00b4r

Unread postby mashy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:08 am

I use neither. Truck wash (TFR) is brilliant.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby IPA » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:58 am

Nashbrew wrote:Up until now I have been using PBW, but there seems to be a nationwide shortage is VWP a good alternative?

I use it. 1 teaspoon per litre. For cleaning the surfaces must be immerged but for sanitising they just need to be wetted. The thing to remember is to thoroughly rinse after use or your beer will taste like disinfectant. The 4 kg tub costs around £38.
IPA

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Sladek789 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:39 am

VWP is fine. As I see that you are in Europe, also look for "Chemipro OXI" or simply buy some pure Sodium percarbonate from a chemical supplier as it is the main ingredient in PBW (+-70%).

PBW and Chemopro Oxi both contain other stuff (than Sodium percarbonate) which makes it a bit more efficicent. But just Sodium percarbonate will do also well and is the cheapest option.
Sladek789

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Onthebrew » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:05 am

I use both. i use PBW for stainless steel and VWP for plastic, Although you can use VWP on SS as well, and i I have done on occasion - but don't let it soak and rinse with cold water right after cleaning. Its works well.
Onthebrew

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby f00b4r » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:33 pm

Sladek789 wrote:VWP is fine. As I see that you are in Europe, also look for "Chemipro OXI" or simply buy some pure Sodium percarbonate from a chemical supplier as it is the main ingredient in PBW (+-70%).

PBW and Chemopro Oxi both contain other stuff (than Sodium percarbonate) which makes it a bit more efficicent. But just Sodium percarbonate will do also well and is the cheapest option.

Sodium percarbonate works well (although not as good as PBW if you see any side by side tests) BUT can cause issue if you have hard water and use it for anything more than a brief soak, it will cause white build ups on your items that are very difficult to remove without using an acid solution or a lot of elbow grease (Starsan may be worth trying); I have a load of pure sodium percarbonate but since moving really use it now, a lot of people advocate it's use but their water just happens to not be of the type that will cause problems.
f00b4r

Return to General Brewing Discussions