Crystal Clear Beer

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: Crystal Clear Beer

Unread postby royco » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:56 pm

+1 dinnerstick
I made 2 kegs' worth of a tasty Wit which was pretty cloudy. After 1 week at 3°C in the dispensing fridge it became as clear as a pilsner all by itself.
I didn't bother with trying to settle it out too much as I thought Wit was meant to be cloudy.
royco

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby BrauTim » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:17 pm

All this talk and speculation about haze in beer and how to get rid, when all you need to do is listen to Charlie the beer guru......

Beer Haze with Dr. Bamforth
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby niels » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:16 am

kstiglich wrote:But currently I am fermenting at 19°C...why do you recommend me to raise the temp to 27°C?
Regarding final gravity, you are right i remember I read that I would expect that low gravity, but beersmith was giving me a 1.010 FG.

By raising the temperature to the end of the fermentation you'll help the yeast to remain active which results in better attenuation and cleaner beer as the yeast cleans up various fermentation by-products.
The 27°C is just the figure I use for this saison yeast as it was recommended to me by another (experienced) homebrewer. You don't have to raise it that high, but I would raise it at least 3~4°C above your main fermentation temperature.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby kstiglich » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:33 am

niels wrote:
kstiglich wrote:But currently I am fermenting at 19°C...why do you recommend me to raise the temp to 27°C?
Regarding final gravity, you are right i remember I read that I would expect that low gravity, but beersmith was giving me a 1.010 FG.

By raising the temperature to the end of the fermentation you'll help the yeast to remain active which results in better attenuation and cleaner beer as the yeast cleans up various fermentation by-products.
The 27°C is just the figure I use for this saison yeast as it was recommended to me by another (experienced) homebrewer. You don't have to raise it that high, but I would raise it at least 3~4°C above your main fermentation temperature.

- Niels

Great! Interesting....its like giving some final redbull to yeast to finish its job! I will do it.... thanks
kstiglich

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Wobbly » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:47 am

Hi dinnerstick

My push to minimise the amount of "hot/cold break" carry over into the FV is not to do with flavour/taste implications that on a "home brew" scale/situation don't seem to be an issue with trub "in or out" of the FV but one to do with how the/my "Williamswarn Personal Brewery" manages collection and removal of "trub and yeast" at the end of the fermentation phase.

The collection/sediment bottle is limited to just less than a litre and therefore requires a number of operations when using fresh wort produced in the BM.

Not that this is a serious issue/matter. My research has been driven by trying to "tweak" the system and as I understand it large breweries take this matter seriously so as to minimise age related staling issues associated with less than ideal transport and storage sytems from brewery to consumer

Cheers

Wobbly
Wobbly

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby leosardinha » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:38 pm

kstiglich wrote:
leosardinha wrote:Follow this proccedure and I guarantee you will have crystal clear beer.

1) Drop fermenter vessel temp to 0C.
2) Prepare a solution with 12g of gelatin(unflavored) for 250ml of water @67C.
3) Open the fermenter, do a gentle whirpool and drop the solution on the middle of the whirlpool.
4) Close the fermenter and let it rest for at least 48 hours.
5) Keg it and force carb.

This is what you will achieve.

photo1.jpg

From my experience light beers get really really clear, the hoppy and stronger beers get clear also.

The one in the picture is only 4.5% abv

Thanks for all responses...Dear Leosardinha...when do you recommend to drop fermenter temp to 0ºC?
For example, yesterday I brew a 5Gl Saison with ginger....Today it was fermenting perfectly at 20ºC...I think it would finish fermenting in 7 or 8 days....So do you recommend to cold crash as soon as it finishes its primary fermentation? It is an ALE, therefore I am not going to syphon to secondary...
Please confirm 12gr of gelation is for a 5Gl fermenter vessel.
How do you avoid oxidation during the whirlpool of the fermenter?

Regards,
Kenneth

Kenneth,

I usually fement for at least one week and at least 4 days of diacetyl rest. my normal fermentation schedule runs through 14 days.

What i really do is measure the gravity daily, starting on the fourth day until it stops atennuating, afterwards I raise the temp to accelerate the D-Rest and taste the beer until it has consumed all the diacetyl.

then I drop the temp to 0C(if you repitch you might want to do this gradually)

I never transfer to a secondary.

Yes, 12 grams per 20-25 liters.

to avoid oxidation do it as gentle as you can.
leosardinha

Previous

Return to General Brewing Discussions