Using pure oxygen

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: Using pure oxygen

Unread postby mashy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:15 am

McMullan wrote:Has anyone attempted a fermentation without oxygenating the wort?

Yes. Bit complex but it is to do with the yeast needing certain things at the start that the oxygen enabled the production of. .These can also be synthesised from olive oil. Minuscule amount. Tried it. Brilliant.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Aleman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:33 am

McMullan wrote:Has anyone attempted a fermentation without oxygenating the wort?

I've been known to do it . . . Using dry yeast, and lots of it (say 40g in 25L). . . . would I do it with a liquid yeast? Not really, I normally want to repitch those, and want the yeast to be healthy at the end of fermentation, oxygenating the wort is one of those things that should be done if you are repitching.
Aleman

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby McMullan » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:03 am

This was an interesting article, Luis. Even though it was written 20 years ago and now looking a bit outdated in some respects, I’d recommend it to serious home brewers too. Not wanting to propagate a myth, though, I should say: the author acknowledges that pitched yeast do benefit from O2 therefore the home brewer should oxygenate his/her wort. Unless you absolutely know you have sufficient healthy yeast (Aleman :cheers:). Mashy, I haven’t tried the olive oil trick, but will plan to at some point when time and space permits. There is a well written MSc dissertation kicking around that reports a test of the idea. It was a good scientific experiment, not an exBEERment. From memory, it was found that the olive oil was associated with a significant lag in fermentation and the level of one or two undesirable compounds were significantly higher too, relative to the oxygenated control. Bad for commercial brewers, but not necessarily bad for home brewers?
McMullan

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby johnrm » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:42 pm

I attended the Irish National Homebrew Club (NHC) BREWCON - Chris White (Whitelabs Founder) said that Olive Oil does nothing positive for yeast. Again referring back to the study referenced above.
johnrm

Previous

Return to General Brewing Discussions