New owner, advice needed

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

New owner, advice needed

Unread postby Schmurf » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:32 pm

I'm about to soon receive my BM10 litre and I'm now planning my first brew with it. I've been brewing BIAB for about a year and totally perhaps something like 15-17 brews, with different results.

For this first BM brew I'd like to keep things very simple, I'm thinking of a smash: Golden promise and mosaic. A brew with no particular rests, just a mash at 67C for 60 minutes and no sparging.

Would this be done by setting only one 60 minutes rest at 67 and do the "dough in" at that temperature? There's no need for a higher strike temperature in this kind of setup?

Would a mash out be needed or can I just lift the malt pipe once 60 minutes passed and let it drain?

Any other recommendations or advices for this my first brew?
Schmurf

Re: New owner, advice needed

Unread postby BarnBrian » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:26 pm

That's exactly what I do, then up to 76 for ten minutes mash out. Lift malt pipe and let it drain while coming up to the boil.
I think keeping your first brew simple is the way to go.
Good luck.

Brian
BarnBrian

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Schmurf » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:50 pm

Thanks! What kind of mash efficiency can I expect? I mill the grain myself and I've been reading it should be milled fairly coarse.. would 1.5 mm be okay?
Schmurf

Unread postby IPA » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:36 am

Schmurf wrote:Thanks! What kind of mash efficiency can I expect? I mill the grain myself and I've been reading it should be milled fairly coarse.. would 1.5 mm be okay?

1.2 mm gives me 85% efficiency
IPA

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mashy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:05 am

Yup all good. I don't bother with 76 for 10 anymore, because I am going straight through to boil.

As soon as the mash is done, let the malt pipe drain while starting the boil.
mashy

Unread postby Schmurf » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:45 am

Thanks all, I'm looking forward to the brew day!
Schmurf

Unread postby Onthebrew » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:14 am

Spiedel now advise 1.6mm for crush so you may wish to give that a try.
Onthebrew

Unread postby tsgreen » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:50 am

Onthebrew wrote:Spiedel now advise 1.6mm for crush so you may wish to give that a try.

Have you tried it yet? If so, notice any change or advantage?
tsgreen

Unread postby Schmurf » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:20 pm

So I've received my BM now (10 litre) :cheers: and of course a few questions arises.

First, as I mentioned in the thread start I've been a BIAB brewer and used to just have a single "rest", at 67C, or there about depending on what I want. Do people use these multi rests that the BM provides us with, and if so are there any good to know generic rest schedules I should know about and when to use them? At least for now I'm mostly going to brew british ales, american IPA and possibly a few weissbier. Further down the road I might see something else coming, but not for quite some time. I'm still a brewing newbie and I don't want to experiment too much or be trying out too many new styles until I've got the hang of the basics.

Second, I've been reading about BM producing quite some weak boils and as I'm right now doing some tests runs I clearly see what they mean. My boil wont exceed 98C and it's hardly boiling at all (no lid on). Is this what to expect? (Actually now 20 minutes in to the boil the temp sunk to 97.5C).
Schmurf

Unread postby mashy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:18 am

I brew the same styles as you. Warm fill from hot tap, one step, no sparge. Wheat beers benefit from more steps, well modified malt making English ale does not.

You don't need to boil the beejeebers out of it. That's old news. (lights touch paper and stands back :D)
mashy

Unread postby IPA » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:21 am

Schmurf wrote:So I've received my BM now (10 litre) :cheers: and of course a few questions arises.

First, as I mentioned in the thread start I've been a BIAB brewer and used to just have a single "rest", at 67C, or there about depending on what I want. Do people use these multi rests that the BM provides us with, and if so are there any good to know generic rest schedules I should know about and when to use them? At least for now I'm mostly going to brew british ales, american IPA and possibly a few weissbier. Further down the road I might see something else coming, but not for quite some time. I'm still a brewing newbie and I don't want to experiment too much or be trying out too many new styles until I've got the hang of the basics.

Second, I've been reading about BM producing quite some weak boils and as I'm right now doing some tests runs I clearly see what they mean. My boil wont exceed 98C and it's hardly boiling at all (no lid on). Is this what to expect? (Actually now 20 minutes in to the boil the temp sunk to 97.5C).

If you want a vigorous boil use a domed lid and !eave it on during the boil. Plus make an insulated jacket from a foam camping mat. But as Mashy says it is not strictly necessary just boil lt for longer.
IPA

Unread postby Schmurf » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:26 am

Thanks for the replies! I was surprised though that the boil off was almost 2 litres on 1 hour, despite the weak boil.
Schmurf

Unread postby mashy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:41 am

Yup. You don't need to boil the beejeebers out of it.
mashy

Unread postby Onthebrew » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:22 pm

tsgreen wrote:
Onthebrew wrote:Spiedel now advise 1.6mm for crush so you may wish to give that a try.

Have you tried it yet? If so, notice any change or advantage?

yes speidel sent me an ingredient pack over from Germany specially so i could try it out to see if it resolved my temp issues, which it sort of did and sort of didn't ( still overshot by a couple of Degrees C after mash in, and again at mash out but in the main kept to temps pretty well) i don't measure efficiency and i don't sparge but hit all my numbers Ok. Happy with that crush though in general.
Onthebrew

Unread postby tsgreen » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:30 pm

Thank you for the feedback! :beer:
tsgreen

Next

Return to General Brewing Discussions