New owner, advice needed

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: New owner, advice needed

Unread postby Schmurf » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:48 am

I had my first brewday yesterday. I didn't hit my numbers, I didn't expect to either, but I was more off than I thought I would be. Reading this forum, and others, my guess is that I missed something while milling my grain. I didn't find my feeler gauge (correct word??) so I might have made a mistake there.

Anyway, I used 2.65 kg of malt for my 12 liter mash and I noticed it became incredibly packed in the malt pipe. I've been reading that max amount of malt is 2.8 kg for the BM10 but I doubt I could have added much more malt than I did. It feels like this was one of the culprits too for my poor efficency. What's the highest amount of malt people are normaly using for the BM10 in rl?
Schmurf

Unread postby Schmurf » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:17 pm

Just checked my mill and it had the gap set to about 1.2mm, which if I understand correct is a bit finer than recommended, but not unheard of.
Schmurf

Unread postby tsgreen » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:23 pm

Schmurf wrote:Just checked my mill and it had the gap set to about 1.2mm, which if I understand correct is a bit finer than recommended, but not unheard of.

That had been the recommended number for a long time and I use it without problems. i am curious to try 1.6 though.
tsgreen

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby nibber » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:55 pm

Quote-it's hardly boiling at all (no lid on).
You could always try a glass lid,
I bought a used 10 litre model from a member on here recently that came with a glass lid with a handle and a steam hole.
So you can see what is going on! :beer:
see attached image-

10 Litre.jpg
nibber

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby Erick » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:52 pm

Tried 1.6 two times now and found my efficiency was going downhill.
Gonna brew tomorrow with the mill back at 1.3 again, curious if my efficiency is back to normal or that something else is going on...
Erick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby mooncat » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:06 am

I don’t get the 1.6mm gap recommendation. I milled grain for a stout and found some of the darker speciality grains were noticeably smaller than the base malt. At 1.4mm a lot of the smaller grains went through the mill whole. I re-adjusted to 1.2 with no problem and met all the numbers
mooncat

Model: 20 litres

Previous

Return to General Brewing Discussions