Black is the new Blonde

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Black is the new Blonde

Unread postby gandalf the brew » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:30 pm

Here's a good one to start the brain cells. Today I started to brew my Ghost Ship clone again (I just love this beer).
All went well until 10 minutes into the boil, then I noticed the wort was going darker. I let it go another 5 minutes, then I had to stop the BM.
The wort had gone black, but remained clear. I have no idea what caused it, I just scrapped the brew and cleaned everything with PBW for 30 minutes.

I then started it all again, same grain, same water with the same additives. This time it all went well, with the EBC about 17.

Can't work out what went wrong, I always run Star San through the BM before all brews, then flush with clean water, any ideas guys.
Carrots are good for your eyesight, but beer doubles your vision
gandalf the brew

Model: 10 litres (2015)

Re: Black is the new Blonde

Unread postby brewdog » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:36 pm

gandalf the brew wrote:Here's a good one to start the brain cells. Today I started to brew my Ghost Ship clone again (I just love this beer).
All went well until 10 minutes into the boil, then I noticed the wort was going darker. I let it go another 5 minutes, then I had to stop the BM.
The wort had gone black, but remained clear. I have no idea what caused it, I just scrapped the brew and cleaned everything with PBW for 30 minutes.

I then started it all again, same grain, same water with the same additives. This time it all went well, with the EBC about 17.

Can't work out what went wrong, I always run Star San through the BM before all brews, then flush with clean water, any ideas guys.
thats a bummer. Can’t think what that could be. Publish the recipe and I will give it a try as my favourite as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brewdog

Model: 10 litres (2015)

Re: Black is the new Blonde

Unread postby gandalf the brew » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:58 pm

brewdog wrote:Publish the recipe and I will give it a try as my favourite as well.

BM 10 Litre
SG 1.049
IBU 40.5
EBC 16 - 17
ABV 5.5%

12 L water treated however you need to
2.2Kg Maris otter malt
200g Cara Rye malt

Mash in @ 40C
rest @ 66C for 75 minutes
Mashout @ 77C for 10 minutes

Sparge with 1.8 Litres @ 75C