Scaling batches

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Scaling batches

Unread postby royco » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:33 am

Hi Arne, and greetings from South Africa! I'm interested in your 1-gal BIAB test story because I did exactly that before my latest Belgian Wit. There is a lot of discussion on other sites about non-linear hop scaling when doing very small and very big batches. I just trusted Beersmith and it seemed to be OK. It probably would not make a noticeable difference in a Wit, but it could be significant in a highly hopped beer. What do you think?

Royco
royco

Model: 50 litres

Re: Scaling batches

Unread postby jervell » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:34 pm

Hi Royco,
I have not yet scaled any of my test batches up to 20 litres (but I will eventually, of course). My plan is simply to scale linearly. My assuption is that this is pretty close to what Beersmith might be doing.

For now, I'm thinking I'll just see how it turns out if I scale linearly and adjust as from there.

Another consideration is the repeatability, which for my "nano scale" brews is notwhere near what I can achieve with the Braumeister. So for the most part I consider the 3 L batches an experimental vehicle for exploring recipe building.

It appears you already have some experience with scaling your Wit, and that it turned out the way you expected? You used Beersmith, did I understand you correctly?
jervell

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby royco » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:30 am

Hi Arne, I will check back on my records to check linear vs Beersmith. I am scaling from 4L to 50L so that is quite extreme.
Wit is probably a bad example as the hopping is minimal, but on a highly hopped ale the difference could be very noticeable. Do you use Beersmith? It is awesome.

Cheers, Roy.

PS: Niels, should this go under "General" ? It would be interesting to hear what the more experienced guys think. Done ;) -Niels
royco

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby jervell » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:46 am

I agree that scaling 50:3 is quite a bit more extreme than 20:3, which is where I am at. :-)

You are probably correct. Hop utilization increases with the volume of the wort I think, so linear scaling at 50:3 is probably crazy. :-) But I don't know.

Yes I use Beersmith and I love it.
jervell

Model: 20 litres

Return to General Brewing Discussions