Gelatin for fining

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby mashy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:17 am

Fluffy bottoms are normally associated with the yeast strain. What are you using?
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Wezzel » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:47 am

When I use gelatine in bottles even Fullers yeast, that normally packs down like concrete, goes fluffy. I stopped using it for that reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wezzel

Unread postby grooves » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:50 am

Well my gelatin experiment doesn't seem to have gone well so far - but it's not over yet. I'll open a bottle in a couple weeks and I'll see how the clarity is and how the yeast has settled in the bottle.

I used Danstar London ESB Yeast, which quotes "Flocculent strain when conditioned but certainly considerably slower than fast flocculating strains such as Nottingham. Vessel cooling and use of fining agents (ideally optimized) and time will promote flocculation."
grooves

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Everhopfull » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:51 am

mashy wrote:Fluffy bottoms are normally associated with the yeast strain. What are you using?

Perhaps " fluffy bottoms" wasnt the correct term. More like finer yeast sediment :D
Everhopfull

Unread postby mashy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:45 pm

Nope. I think fluffy bottoms is here to STAY.

"Fluffy bottoms"
Attrib: Everhopfull - 2018
mashy

Gelatin for fining

Unread postby BrauTim » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:39 am

Whilst I enjoy bottle conditioned beer, I don’t think it does justice to homebrew when giving it away to others, as those not skilled in the art of handling bottle conditioned beers may end up drinking the sediment, thereby giving one’s brew a bad rep. I like to bulk condition in a keg and fill bottles with clear beer using a beer gun when giving it away, or for competitions or even just taking to parties or on holiday
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mashy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:12 am

Do you find a beer gun retains enough pressure?

I have always been concerned that it would not keep as well.
mashy

Unread postby IPA » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:25 am

grooves wrote:Well my gelatin experiment doesn't seem to have gone well so far - but it's not over yet. I'll open a bottle in a couple weeks and I'll see how the clarity is and how the yeast has settled in the bottle.

I used Danstar London ESB Yeast, which quotes "Flocculent strain when conditioned but certainly considerably slower than fast flocculating strains such as Nottingham. Vessel cooling and use of fining agents (ideally optimized) and time will promote flocculation."

Look at my post in this thread and follow the advice, especially about not chilling, and you will have bright beer with virtually no sediment.I am brewing at the moment but I will post a piccie of what you are aiming at later.

Here it is. The faint colour on the bottom of this upturned bottle resembling a coat of aerosol paint is what you will get is you follow my advice. How many of you can invert a bottle without disturbing the yeast?
IPA

Unread postby Everhopfull » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:07 am

Most of it has dropped off into the beer looking at the clarity of that one. Only teasing you IPA.
Great picture , thanks for posting.
Everhopfull

Unread postby mashy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:49 pm

:D :D yeah the photo doesn't show the cap end :D :D :D :D
mashy

Unread postby grooves » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:40 am

Hmm - I might have spoken too soon - I took a bottle straight from the fridge last night.

It's crystal clear. I didn't really have a problem with clarity before, but I have to concede this is a step above my normal result (I'm not sure the photo does it justice!)
Attachments
gelatin2.jpg
Crystal clear pint
grooves

Unread postby mashy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:31 pm

That does look nice. Do you think the dining has effected the flavour?
mashy

Unread postby grooves » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:43 pm

I don't think so - but it's hard to be sure without a side by side test - this brew was ~45 IBU and not dry hopped.

In any case, it tastes lovely and looks great. Shame I only did a short pipe 10l batch...

As it's not much extra effort, I'll use gelatin in the next few brews and see how they turn out. Next up Czech Tmave / black lager, so I'm not sure I'll see the full effect!
grooves

Unread postby IPA » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:59 am

mashy wrote:That does look nice. Do you think the dining has effected the flavour?

"Dining". I suppose he could have drunk it wiith a meal and in that case it might have. :lol:
Seriously the whole idea is to leave the gelatine behind in the bottling vessel along with a large proportion of the yeast
IPA

Unread postby Everhopfull » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:43 am

Hey Groovesey,
Did the bottle pass the " IPA's Upturned bottle Challenge " ?
Everhopfull

PreviousNext

Return to General Brewing Discussions