Gelatin for fining

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby mashy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:28 pm

grooves wrote: .... I have read that chilling does make a difference as the chill haze proteins are precipitated and then they can be attracted to the gelatin's charge, which then helps them drop out.

I haven't heard about any problems with there not being enough yeast left in suspension for a secondary fermentation - this brew will be bottled conditioned, so I will find out!



What a good point about chill haze proteins.
I will be interested to hear the results - having counted yeast under a microscope, on its journey through different filter plates, I am genuinely interested to see what effect fining will have.
User avatar
mashy
 
Posts: 2717
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:43 pm
Location: Mercia
Model: 20 litres

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby Joe1002 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:11 pm

mashy wrote:
IPA wrote:
There will always be enough yeast in suspension to condition the beer no matter how clear it is to the naked eye.
Also irish moss and gelatine do not do the same job. The former is to provoke the hot break and the latter is to trap most of the yeast in the finished beer.


Help me out here. That seems a contradiction.

It means that it will trap most of the yeas but not all. What yeast is left will not be visible to the naked eye thereby producing a bright bees but will be sufficient to condition.
Joe1002
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:10 pm
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby IPA » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:48 pm

Joe1002 wrote:
mashy wrote:
IPA wrote:
There will always be enough yeast in suspension to condition the beer no matter how clear it is to the naked eye.
Also irish moss and gelatine do not do the same job. The former is to provoke the hot break and the latter is to trap most of the yeast in the finished beer.


Help me out here. That seems a contradiction.

It means that it will trap most of the yeas but not all. What yeast is left will not be visible to the naked eye thereby producing a bright bees but will be sufficient to condition.


I'm glad someone understands because most people don't know the difference between hot break, cold break, protein haze and yeast. If you select the right strain of yeast and correct brewing procedure you should be able produce beer that has the faintest trace yeast on the bottom of the bottle that looks like it has been sprayed with aerosol paint. And when poured you can empty the bottle COMPLETELY without any trace of haze in the glass. I am convinced that the cloudy hop soup craze that started in the USA is fueled by brewers who cannot brew bright beer.
IPA
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:16 am
Location: France
Model: 50 litres

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby Mashman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:06 pm

IPA wrote:
I'm glad someone understands because most people don't know the difference between hot break, cold break, protein haze and yeast. If you select the right strain of yeast and correct brewing procedure you should be able produce beer that has the faintest trace yeast on the bottom of the bottle that looks like it has been sprayed with aerosol paint. And when poured you can empty the bottle COMPLETELY without any trace of haze in the glass. I am convinced that the cloudy hop soup craze that started in the USA is fueled by brewers who cannot brew bright beer.



Spot on :) :)
Mashman
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:06 pm
Location: Canterbury, Kent, UK
Model: 20 litres

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby grooves » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:10 am

Ok - boiled 100ml water cooled it, mixed in 1tsp Gelatin, zapped it in the microwave to dissolve it, and now it's been added to the beer which is at around 3c.

One problem - looks like the cooling sucked back some starsan from the blowoff...

Anyway - I'll bottle on Sunday and then I'll see if it's made a noticeable different compared to previous brews.
User avatar
grooves
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:34 am
Location: UK
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby grooves » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:48 pm

Ok - here are my results. Gelatin @ 3c for 4 days - and then another week at shed temperature as I didn't get around to bottling it.

On the left, a previous brew of similar colour - this has no gelatin added and has been in a keg at shed temperature since November.

On the right, the gelatin brew.

both about 9c

To be honest I couldn't see a noticeable difference. If gelatin is just "powdered time" perhaps this isn't so surprising as the keg has been cold and undisturbed for a long time.

I didn't get the the wow! result I was looking for, and I'm not convinced I'll bother to do this again unless I need to get grain to glass quickly for an event where the beer is going to get drunk. If it's just me and the usual suspects drinking, it is not needed.
Attachments
gelatin.jpg
gelatin results
User avatar
grooves
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:34 am
Location: UK
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby mashy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:31 pm

Good work. I was wondering how it had gone.
User avatar
mashy
 
Posts: 2717
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:43 pm
Location: Mercia
Model: 20 litres

Gelatin for fining

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:43 pm

I find that around 5-8 days following kegging under pressure at low temp that my beer has pretty much cleared to the point where it will stay until it’s drunk. It does clear even more with time, but 5 days onwards is sufficient, it’s also the point that any yeast bitterness recedes, all without post fermentor finnings.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
User avatar
BrauTim
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:03 pm
Location: England
Model: 50 litres

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby Onthebrew » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:30 am

I found it accelerated it. I Wasn’t impressed at first but after a about 6 weeks in fridge mine was crystal clear. Think I will try it again as it only takes 30 seconds.
Onthebrew
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:02 am
Location: Belfast
Model: 20 litres

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby grooves » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:37 am

I'll see how it develops then. The gelatin brew is bottle conditioned - I'm hoping the gelatin will help stick the sediment to be bottom of the bottle. Either way it's pretty tasty already - a bit like London Pride - not a bad result since I just made up the recipe out of thin air.
User avatar
grooves
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:34 am
Location: UK
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby Onthebrew » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:44 am

Sounds like they may not last long enough then!
Onthebrew
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:02 am
Location: Belfast
Model: 20 litres

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby Everhopfull » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:49 am

grooves wrote:I'll see how it develops then. The gelatin brew is bottle conditioned - I'm hoping the gelatin will help stick the sediment to be bottom of the bottle. Either way it's pretty tasty already - a bit like London Pride - not a bad result since I just made up the recipe out of thin air.


My experiences of bottle conditioned beer fined with gelatine is that it tends to create a finer yeast sediment which doesn't really stick to the bottom of the bottle that well
Last edited by Everhopfull on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Everhopfull
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:20 pm
Model: 20 litres

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby Wezzel » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:59 pm

Everhopfull wrote:
grooves wrote:I'll see how it develops then. The gelatin brew is bottle conditioned - I'm hoping the gelatin will help stick the sediment to be bottom of the bottle. Either way it's pretty tasty already - a bit like London Pride - not a bad result since I just made up the recipe out of thin air.


My experiences of bottle conditioned beer fined with gelatine is that it tends to create a finer yeast sediment/ fluffy bottom which doesn't really stick to the bottom of the bottle that well


Me too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wezzel
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:06 pm

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby mashy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:55 pm

This gelatin is not winning any friends here. :p
User avatar
mashy
 
Posts: 2717
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:43 pm
Location: Mercia
Model: 20 litres

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby chastuck » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:58 pm

I like using gelatin and it always works for me. I always transfer the finished beer from the fermenter to a bottling bucket and add the gelatin there. After 3 days I will bottle. Never had any fluffy bottoms or otherwise in my bottles.
User avatar
chastuck
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:21 pm
Location: Beckenham, Kent
Model: 50 litres (2015)

PreviousNext

Return to General Brewing Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests