Gelatin for fining

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Gelatin for fining

Unread postby grooves » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:49 am

I'm going to try some post-boil fining for the first time ever. I don't usually feel the need, as all beers drop clear over time - even the ones that are supposed to be cloudy such as wheat beers.

Nevertheless, I thought I'd try it out. Powdered gelatin seem to be the easiest to use and most effective (sorry vegans)

The question is how to use it. There seem to be two options

1) Mix 1 tsp with 1/2cup / 100ml of 65c water water (either pre-boiled or not) and chuck it in

2) Mix it with water, wait an hour, boil 5 mins, cool to room temp and chuck it in

What does anyone here do?
User avatar
grooves
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:34 am
Location: UK
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby Onthebrew » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:42 am

I used it for the first time on an IPA in November. I used leaf from the MM. I just let it dissolve in some warm ( pre boiled) water and add straight to FV and cold crash. Still got chill haze though but it was very clear the rest of the time.
Onthebrew
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:02 am
Location: Belfast
Model: 20 litres

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby uk_brewer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:53 pm

uk_brewer
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 8:36 pm
Location: Dundee, IL
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby IPA » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:13 am

Option 1 works well. Leave the fined wort for three days then rack off the bright wort into a bottling/ barrelling vessel.
Absolutely no need to chill. Just make sure that the gravity has remained stable at the expected FG for at least three days before starting this proceedure or it will not work. No need to stir it in. Just pour it in and let it sink to the bottom and do its job.
IPA
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:16 am
Location: France
Model: 50 litres

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby mashy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:18 am

I did a couple of batches with egg white many moons ago, very gentle fining.

I then switched to Irish moss and never bothered since. Your post made me realise it is something I could have done again when I forget the Irish moss recently.

Gelatine nope, sorry.
User avatar
mashy
 
Posts: 2704
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:43 pm
Location: Mercia
Model: 20 litres

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby grooves » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:39 am

It was the Brulosophy blog that got me thinking I'd try it. Marshall also seemed to come from the angle that it's totally unnecessary (same as me), but was then blown away by the results, and now uses it for every brew.

I'll go with option one this time - thanks for FG stable tip - a full packet of yeast ripped through the 10l fermentation in 48 hours! I'll crash and fine on Monday - 6 days after the brew. I'd usually leave it a bit longer, but I would like to bottle it next weekend.
User avatar
grooves
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:34 am
Location: UK
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby mashy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:15 pm

It will be interesting to see how the bottle ferment takes off after fining, 'cos there should be less yeast in suspension.
User avatar
mashy
 
Posts: 2704
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:43 pm
Location: Mercia
Model: 20 litres

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby Onthebrew » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:59 pm

I was blulosophy that sold it for me. Will give it another go as it’s so simple.
Onthebrew
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:02 am
Location: Belfast
Model: 20 litres

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby IPA » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:49 am

mashy wrote:It will be interesting to see how the bottle ferment takes off after fining, 'cos there should be less yeast in suspension.


Surely that's the whole idea. To use someone else's quote ( how I wish that I had said it first ) "IF YOU WANT CLEAR BEER COMING OUT YOU HAVE TO HAVE CLEAR BEER GOING IN"
There will always be enough yeast in suspension to condition the beer no matter how clear it is to the naked eye.
Also irish moss and gelatine do not do the same job. The former is to provoke the hot break and the latter is to trap most of the yeast in the finished beer. And the other break is the cold break that occurs when the wort is cooling and is very seldom
mentioned.
Last edited by IPA on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
IPA
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:16 am
Location: France
Model: 50 litres

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby IPA » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:57 am

grooves wrote:It was the Brulosophy blog that got me thinking I'd try it. Marshall also seemed to come from the angle that it's totally unnecessary (same as me), but was then blown away by the results, and now uses it for every brew.

I'll go with option one this time - thanks for FG stable tip - a full packet of yeast ripped through the 10l fermentation in 48 hours! I'll crash and fine on Monday - 6 days after the brew. I'd usually leave it a bit longer, but I would like to bottle it next weekend.


No need to chill. The gelatine works fine without doing it. The two processes are separate and should not be confused. Certainly chilling helps precipitation but fining with gelatine works by opposite polarity attraction. You should fine and after the beer has cleared it should be racked off of the sediment into another vessel before bottling or barrelling.
IPA
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:16 am
Location: France
Model: 50 litres

Gelatin for fining

Unread postby BrauTim » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:23 pm

I use kettle finnings and wort is drawn through leaf hops when draining the BM, leaving plenty of congealed protein amongst the hops and then chill at the end of fermentation, I get clear beer every time regardless of yeast type and sometimes struggle to keep wheat beer hazy. I gave up using post fermentation finnings a long time ago because it is unnecessary in my process. I wouldn’t be able to pinpoint why I get it clear and others need to fine though. I am also never in a rush to get beer from fermentor to glass either, where others might use finnings just to speed up their own process.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
User avatar
BrauTim
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:03 pm
Location: England
Model: 50 litres

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby Joe1002 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:13 pm

BrauTim wrote:I use kettle finnings and wort is drawn through leaf hops when draining the BM, leaving plenty of congealed protein amongst the hops and then chill at the end of fermentation, I get clear beer every time regardless of yeast type and sometimes struggle to keep wheat beer hazy. I gave up using post fermentation finnings a long time ago because it is unnecessary in my process. I wouldn’t be able to pinpoint why I get it clear and others need to fine though. I am also never in a rush to get beer from fermentor to glass either, where others might use finnings just to speed up their own process.


Out of interest Tim, what filter do you use?
Joe1002
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:10 pm
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby mashy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:13 pm

BrauTim wrote:I use kettle finnings and wort is drawn through leaf hops when draining the BM, leaving plenty of congealed protein amongst the hops and then chill at the end of fermentation, I get clear beer every time regardless of yeast type and sometimes struggle to keep wheat beer hazy. I gave up using post fermentation finnings a long time ago because it is unnecessary in my process. I wouldn’t be able to pinpoint why I get it clear and others need to fine though. I am also never in a rush to get beer from fermentor to glass either, where others might use finnings just to speed up their own process.


+1 and I don't filter live hop leaves (bloody good idea though)
User avatar
mashy
 
Posts: 2704
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:43 pm
Location: Mercia
Model: 20 litres

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby mashy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:19 pm

IPA wrote:
There will always be enough yeast in suspension to condition the beer no matter how clear it is to the naked eye.
Also irish moss and gelatine do not do the same job. The former is to provoke the hot break and the latter is to trap most of the yeast in the finished beer.


Help me out here. That seems a contradiction.
User avatar
mashy
 
Posts: 2704
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:43 pm
Location: Mercia
Model: 20 litres

Re: Gelatin for fining

Unread postby grooves » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:53 am

Well i'm about to find out if it's worth it. I've set the brewfridge down to 3c to cold crash for a couple of days, then I'll chuck in the Gelatin for a couple more. I have read that chilling does make a difference as the chill haze proteins are precipitated and then they can be attracted to the gelatin's charge, which then helps them drop out.

I haven't heard about any problems with there not being enough yeast left in suspension for a secondary fermentation - this brew will be bottled conditioned, so I will find out!
User avatar
grooves
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:34 am
Location: UK
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Next

Return to General Brewing Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest