Bottle Fermentation Issue

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Bottle Fermentation Issue

Unread postby brugen » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:19 pm

I brew in my garage and secondary ferment in the bottle. I bring the bottles into the house for two weeks at 20C to allow the fermentation of the bottling sugar. I then transfer the bottles to my unheated shed until I'm ready to drink them.

I've had a problem with the last two batches I did in November and December. After two weeks in the house the bottles are lovely and clear and nicely carbonated. After moving them to the shed they lose carbonation and become hazy. The temperature of the shed is obviously dependent on the outside temperature and can get as low as 3C.

I don't think that there is an infection problem. My assumption is that as the bottles cool the beer reabsorbs the CO2 and we also get a chill haze. (I use Irish Moss and Brewbrite in my boil but don't add any post boil finings.)

Will the carbonation come back and the haze clear over time if I leave them in the shed? Or will I have to move them back into the house? Mrs Brugen is rather anti crates of beer in the spare room.

Any advice welcome.

brugen
brugen

Model: 50 litres

Re: Bottle Fermentation Issue

Unread postby gandalf the brew » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:27 pm

I know this is a long shot brugen, but it might help.
I had a similar thing happen to my last 2 beers, they were also slightly sweet as well.
After a close look at all my notes for the same brews over a period of time, I found that for the last 2 brews I had used Tesco Ashbeck water, and wheat instead of Dextrine (I ran out).
I put the water values of Ashbeck into EZ Water calculator and found it had only got 9 ppm of calcium, some 125 ppm short of my normal tap water brew.
Low calcium causes the yeast not to ferment out, (the sweetness) also wheat can cause beer not to clear at low temps (taken from posts on various other forums).

I'm sure someone else has other reasons, so lets hope they share them and both of us might learn more.
Carrots are good for your eyesight, but beer doubles your vision
gandalf the brew

Model: 10 litres (2015)

Unread postby brugen » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:47 pm

Thanks, Gandalf but I don't that describes my problem. I use Bru'n Water and both brews used my own tap water with salt and acid adjustment. I'm in a hard water area so no shortage of calcium. Both brews also fully attenuated to my expected FG.

Could I also appologise to all readers for posting this five times. There was a break in the link between the cloud and the BM site which came back with an error code. I tried it five times and then gave up. Obviously all the attempts came through when the link was fixed.

Sorry :o
brugen

Unread postby BrauTim » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:33 pm

When the beer warms up does the haze disappear and does the carbonation increase? Does the beer taste too sweet?
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby mashy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:16 am

That was my question LOL.

I have had similar issues and yes mine did return, but I put that down me (always) using a lower sugar dose.

As for the haze, first thought is proteins?
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby brugen » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:16 pm

BrauTim wrote:When the beer warms up does the haze disappear and does the carbonation increase? Does the beer taste too sweet?

I normally smoke and drink in the shed (with heating on ) so I've never tried the obvious approach you and Mashy have suggested.

I've put a couple of bottles from each batch in the house and I'll report back tomorrow on carbonation, clarity and taste.

Thanks for your help.
brugen

Unread postby brugen » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:42 pm

Left the bottles to New Year's Eve when they came in handy.

They were completely clear, fully fermented and tasted good. No over sweetness.

Thanks for your help
brugen

Return to General Brewing Discussions