Yeast slurry pitching rate

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Yeast slurry pitching rate

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:14 pm

This may have been asked before, but I was searching around for info on WLP002 English Ale yeast and came across this article http://scottjanish.com/analyzing-wlp002 ... 5-batches/ - all this guy does is swirl the remaining beer in the fermentor to stir up the slurry and keeps it in a mason jar in the fridge, no rinsing/washing, no starter, nothing special. It's also usable at 100 days old, he states 2.5 [American fluid] ounces for his 5 [US] gallon batch, which should work out at 75 millilitres per 19 Litre batch = ~4ml per litre.

Has anyone harvested their yeast this way and done nothing special other than store it in the fridge, what were the results?
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Re: Yeast slurry pitching rate

Unread postby homoeccentricus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:17 pm

Sure, I always store yeast unwashed and under a layer of beer in mason jars, in the fridge, due to three months. But I always make a starter, as I want to be sure that fermention starts within four hours or so.
homoeccentricus

Unread postby Onthebrew » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:06 am

Tried it for the first time the weekend before last.
After racking brew, I poured a pint of the remaining slurry into a sanitised pint glass and stuck in the fridge. A week later chucked it into the next brew. It’s been 9 days so far and haven’t checked it yet but will do at the weekend. Lots of Krausen so guessing ok so far.
Onthebrew

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby mashy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:24 am

Yup. I have frozen it too. All good.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Return to General Brewing Discussions