Low efficiency

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Low efficiency

Unread postby HumlepraXis » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi there

I am sorry - I am new and have some problems posting and don´t know how to delete....
Cheers - Kenneth/ HumlepraXis - www.humlepraxis.dk
HumlepraXis

Model: 50 litres

Re: Low efficiency

Unread postby gandalf the brew » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:53 pm

When posting on the forum, there is a delay. Some people think that their post has not been accepted and hit the "Submit" button more than once creating multiple posts.
Just hit it once and wait, it will take you to you new post in a few seconds.
If you multi post, don't worry, admin will clear the mistake.
Carrots are good for your eyesight, but beer doubles your vision
gandalf the brew

Model: 10 litres (2015)

Unread postby HumlepraXis » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:29 pm

Because of technical issues I couldn't post my question....
HumlepraXis

Unread postby HumlepraXis » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:31 pm

Here it comes

I am new to this forum but not new to brewing as I run a small micro brewery in Denmark.
That is with a 200 liters 3 kettles system.

I recently bought a BM 20 plus for test brews and a BM 50 plus for small batches on kegs.

My problem is that I get too low efficiency on both BM' s.
Today I brewed with the BM 50 and had an efficiency on only 50% !!

I filled in 55 liters of water. Used 11 kgs pale and 1,8 kgs cara gold malt.
Mashin at 55 degrees Celsius 5 minutes- 68 degrees for 50 minutes- 72 degrees for 15 minutes- 78 degrees for 10 minutes.
4 liters sparges water ( only 4 liter because of low SG )

Ended up with 40 liters at OG 1049 - and I took out all worth from the BM.

My grains were crushed like I normally do on my 200 liters system where I have an efficiency about 80 %.

I really don't understand why I get such a low efficiency on the BM.....?

Do anyone have an idea on what my problem might be ???

Best greetings from Denmark
HumlepraXis

Unread postby chastuck » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:46 pm

HumlepraXis wrote:Here it comes

I am new to this forum but not new to brewing as I run a small micro brewery in Denmark.

I recently bought a BM 20 plus for test brews and a BM 50 plus for small batches on kegs.

Mashin at 55 degrees Celsius 5 minutes- 68 degrees for 50 minutes- 72 degrees for 15 minutes- 78 degrees for 10 minutes.

My grains were crushed like I normally do on my 200 liters system where I have an efficiency about 80 %.

That's a big grain bill for the standard BM filters. I bet you had a very stiff mash. I think I might also have used more sparge water and had a very long boil to reduce volume. When I do a grain bill of that size I use the BAC extender filters and dispense with the top BM filters completely. This allows for more grain and a higher liquor to grain ratio.(http://www.bacbrewing.com/epages/990497 ... BM50.003V2)
chastuck

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby richardm » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:55 pm

chastuck wrote:
HumlepraXis wrote:Here it comes

That's a big grain bill for the standard BM filters. I bet you had a very stiff mash. I think I might also have used more sparge water and had a very long boil to reduce volume. When I do a grain bill of that size I use the BAC extender filters and dispense with the top BM filters completely. This allows for more grain and a higher liquor to grain ratio.(http://www.bacbrewing.com/epages/990497 ... BM50.003V2)

It doesn't sound like a big grain bill for the 50 litre BM
Richard M
20L BM
Cardiff, Wales
richardm

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby HumlepraXis » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:08 am

Thanks ! I have allready ordered it, though I don´t quite understand how it works or give you the extra space...

That's a big grain bill for the standard BM filters. I bet you had a very stiff mash. I think I might also have used more sparge water and had a very long boil to reduce volume. When I do a grain bill of that size I use the BAC extender filters and dispense with the top BM filters completely. This allows for more grain and a higher liquor to grain ratio.(http://www.bacbrewing.com/epages/990497 ... BM50.003V2)[/quote]
It doesn't sound like a big grain bill for the 50 litre BM[/quote]
HumlepraXis

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:50 pm

Grain bill sounds fine but towards the top end I.t.o weight. A common issue on low efficiency is your grain crush. See various previous threads on the forum. Accepted norm is a 1.2mm gap on the grain mill. What numerous user apply (including myself). You should get a efficiency of around 72% to 75%.
Fritzkellerbrau

Unread postby IPA » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:54 am

The most important thing is to thoroughly mix the grain and liquor. Add some grain and stir then add a bit more and stir. Keep repeating this process until all of the grain is thoroughly wet and there are no dry grain balls in the mix. It will take a while if you are approaching maximum capacity in the malt tube. This process is the same no matter how you brew and it was originally called mashing. Today we use the term differently. Finally lift the malt tube onto the stirrup and,leaving the top filters in place, sparge with 12 litres for the 50 litre BM and 6 for the 20 Follow these rules and you will acheive 84-85% efficiency. It really is that easy.

Edit your mash times seem a bit on the short side. Try a minimum of 60 mins for the 66-67 rest. Plus I just noticed the caragold which takes your total grist to 12.8 kilos which is pushing the limit using the standard filters but just about possible. Just make sure that it is thoroughly mixed ( mashed)
IPA

Unread postby HumlepraXis » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:15 pm

Thanks for the answers. I will be aware of the things you have mentioned. And then hope to achieve a better efficiency.
I didn't stir the mash that much - and I will try the filter from bacbrewing. As my efficiency on the other system is fine, I hope that I won't have to adjust my maltmill.
HumlepraXis

Unread postby BrauTim » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:33 pm

It probably doesn't apply because of your experience brewing on the 200L BM, but have you checked the pH range of the mash to eliminate that as a potential cause?
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby HumlepraXis » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:20 pm

The Bac brewing filter is a cool and simple invention. I didn't try it out yet, but I'm looking forward to !
Attachments
IMG_0139.PNG
HumlepraXis

Return to General Brewing Discussions