Carapils or not to Carapils that is the question

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Carapils or not to Carapils that is the question

Unread postby gandalf the brew » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:34 am

For many years I have been adding Carapils malt to some of my recipes to improve mouth feel and head retention.

I have just read an article from Brulosophy on the use of Carapils (also known as Dextrin), disproving that it actually doesn't do what it says on the tin.
http://brulosophy.com/2016/11/28/dextrine-malt-pt-1-the-impact-of-carapils-on-various-beer-characteristics-exbeeriment-results/

I was thinking of making 2 brews one with Carapils, the other substituting it with Torrified Wheat, in the same quantities to see if it's actually better.

What does everybody think about it.
Carrots are good for your eyesight, but beer doubles your vision
gandalf the brew

Model: 10 litres (2015)

Re: Carapils or not to Carapils that is the question

Unread postby Onthebrew » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:10 am

i tend to use it in pale ales, so would be interested in your findings.

just noticed on that krolsh recipe i posted by brolosophy - it had carapils?
Onthebrew

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby mashy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:46 pm

I used to - but then hadn't got any once, so did without... and have done ever since.

I noticed no difference - thought it was me.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Tipsy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:48 am

I've been having problems with head retention with my light coloured lagers and have tried carapils on the last couple of beers.
A bit of reading on AHB has led me to a new mash schedule so I'll see if I can do without it.
Tipsy

Unread postby BrauTim » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:17 am

gandalf the brew wrote:For many years I have been adding Carapils malt to some of my recipes to improve mouth feel and head retention.

I have just read an article from Brulosophy on the use of Carapils (also known as Dextrin), disproving that it actually doesn't do what it says on the tin.
http://brulosophy.com/2016/11/28/dextrine-malt-pt-1-the-impact-of-carapils-on-various-beer-characteristics-exbeeriment-results/

I was thinking of making 2 brews one with Carapils, the other substituting it with Torrified Wheat, in the same quantities to see if it's actually better.

What does everybody think about it.

I've read comments that torrified wheat can have a distinct 'offputting' flavour, I've never used it myself, I've never used Carapils either but I usually add up to 10% pale wheat to my English style brews for head retention and that works really well, I believe flaked oats is also another good alternative.

If you like the style try making a wheat beer, you'll be amazed at the head retention then!

As for mouthfeel, I tend to rest the mash at 71C for around 35 mins in the belief that there is a release of dextrins to help with the body and mouthfeel, again, I have no complaints.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Return to General Brewing Discussions