Not Wit enough

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Not Wit enough

Unread postby royco » Tue May 27, 2014 7:04 pm

After a 4L test brew I took the plunge and did a 50L batch of Wit. The micro brew came out very well but did not have enough of the clove/bubblegum taste that I have grown to love.
The grain bill was 50-50 pale and flaked wheat with coriander, orange peel and S-23 yeast (maybe that is the problem?). Then my lhbs recommended subbing some oats and wheat malt for part of the flaked wheat. All this seemed to achieve was a stuck mash which threatened to blow the pump motors. The taste was fairly similar but not nearly as fresh as the test batch, and also lacking enough clove flavor.
I set the ferm temp at the lower end of the range -- 16.5°C, which apparently brings out more clove and less banana, but it didn't help.
Must I just grind up some cloves and toss them into the secondary?

Another problem: My OG was only 1040 as opposed to 1050 expected. The FG was 1010. The BM won't allow any more grain to be crammed in as the flakes are hugely volumetric.
How can I get the ABV into the 5~5,5% range?
Thanks, Royco.
BTW, just got back from Hong Kong and China. Hoegaarden is HUGE there.
royco

Model: 50 litres

Re: Not Wit enough

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue May 27, 2014 9:44 pm

i think the majority of the wit character comes from the yeast. get the wyeast or white labs wit strain (both hoegaarden as far as i know) and it practically makes itself. i go with the brewing classic styles recipe which is something like 12% flaked oats, tiny bit of munich, and the rest about equal pils and flaked wheat. orange zest, coriander, chamomile, and i like to add star anise. i have not had mash circulation problems with this recipe, and have even made an 'imperialish' version into the 6.5%abv range. don't know what i'm doing differently from you on the mash side though!
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby royco » Wed May 28, 2014 6:34 pm

Hey Dinnerstick (one day I'm going to work out what that means :wink: ) thanks for the advice. I will try your recommended yeast. Maybe I'm wrong about the clove taste in wit although I think Hoegaarden has a hint of it. Is clove not typical of the style? Some of the German Weiss beers have too much of this for my liking.
Re the mash, I will probably revert to the simple pale/flaked wheat bill. It tasted great in the 4l micro test brew. My supplier says he subs wheat malt for the flaked, but surely that would impact on the taste?
Beste, Roy
royco

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu May 29, 2014 12:50 am

royco wrote:
BTW, just got back from Hong Kong and China. Hoegaarden is HUGE there.

I don't have the exact statistics, but from anecdotal evidence I believe that Hoegaarden & Erdinger really dominate East Asian wheat beer market.

Model: 20 litres

Return to General Brewing Discussions