Grain in the boil effects?

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Grain in the boil effects?

Unread postby bigfargs » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:41 am

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering how much grain gets out of your malt pipe during the mash and is boiled? Would it have any adverse effects on the end product if there is quite a bit that comes out? I would estimate that I have about 1 to 2 cups (250-500g) of grain floating around during my boil.

Thanks for the input!

A
bigfargs

Model: 20 litres

Re: Grain in the boil effects?

Unread postby Mashman » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:10 pm

Where does it come from ? Never had anything like that. Well..... apart from removing the top filter with the pump running..........
Mashman

Unread postby mashy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:14 am

I don't normally have any. Make sure you have your strainer plates in properly. Also consider a silicone seal for the top plate.

Much over 1 or 2 cups I would drain and clean up.

At that level I don't think it will affect the taste too much, and can be sieved out as it goes into the fermenter.
mashy

Unread postby paddye » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:08 pm

The last brew I did I managed to get grain in the wort, the pumps came on when I was mashing in. I forgot to tell the bm I was mashing in.
paddye

Unread postby Mashman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:18 am

paddye wrote:The last brew I did I managed to get grain in the wort, the pumps came on when I was mashing in. I forgot to tell the bm I was mashing in.

Been there, done that :(
Mashman

Return to General Brewing Discussions