Low Alcohol (~3.5%) Brew

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Low Alcohol (~3.5%) Brew

Unread postby Wobbly » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:16 am

For various reasons I have decided to reduce my alcohol intake. Weight management associated with a lower back issue being the driver.
I am interested in any recipe that has around 3.5% Alcohol and generally prefer Pale Ale styles but not wheat isn't out of the question
So if you have a recipe for the 20lt Brau I would be most appreciative if you could post the details:-
Grain Bill, Hop type and schedule, mash schedule, yeast type
Cheers
wobbly
Wobbly

Model: 20 litres

Re: Low Alcohol (~3.5%) Brew

Unread postby mashy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:51 am

I did a speckled hen recipe ages ago. Still tasted real good. It was about 3.5 kg I will look it out.

Dont know the answer but... Is the alcohol content that is issue or the residual sugar? Do we need dryer beer? Not just low alc?
mashy

Unread postby grooves » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:20 am

Check this recipe out:

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/ ... f=&t=31645

To me it looks like Siren Half Mast tastes - and that's a great beer that you would never guess is only 2.8%. This has been on my "to-brew" list for a while, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
grooves

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby grooves » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:19 am

Also check out Doodlebug from BrewDog's DIY Dog download - 2.5% beer.
grooves

Unread postby Onthebrew » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:42 am

brew dogs dead pony club is 3.8%, that's a great pale ale.
Onthebrew

Unread postby Omphteliba » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:13 pm

I hear you, same goal here - still looking for the mystical 'low-carb beer' ;)

The guys from the podcast Experimental Brewing collected a great collection of session beers:
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/sessio ... s-you-brew

The ABV threshold is a little bit higher - 4.5% ABV - but still a brad spectrum regarding beer styles with less ABV.

I brewed earlier this year an IPA on the Braumeister 20L and just diluted the wort at the end of boiling to reach a low ABV. Maybe not the safest way to brew but it was still a tasty and refreshing beverage. I since read that this way is very bad - don't remember why tho.
"Brew! There is never enough beer in the world."
- Burghard Meyer on Beersmith Podcast #66
Omphteliba

Unread postby f00b4r » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:54 pm

Omphteliba wrote:I hear you, same goal here - still looking for the mystical 'low-carb beer' ;)

The guys from the podcast Experimental Brewing collected a great collection of session beers:

The ABV threshold is a little bit higher - 4.5% ABV - but still a brad spectrum regarding beer styles with less ABV.

I brewed earlier this year an IPA on the Braumeister 20L and just diluted the wort at the end of boiling to reach a low ABV. Maybe not the safest way to brew but it was still a tasty and refreshing beverage. I since read that this way is very bad - don't remember why tho.

The rye wit at 2.6% is excellent, in fact a friend brewed it down to 1.9% and it was still great. The only issue is with that amount of rye you will need to throw a BIAB bag in the BM and just use it as a mash tun. I made this two weeks ago and am just about to crash chill and keg it, I intend to split the beer and do some interesting things in secondary with a couple of DJ's worth.
f00b4r

Unread postby Onthebrew » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:24 pm

Omphteliba wrote:I hear you, same goal here - still looking for the mystical 'low-carb beer' ;)

Over to you mashy!
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:09 am

I would be interested to know why diluting the wort is "very bad" .

Beer is after all 90something% water!
mashy

Unread postby homoeccentricus » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:05 pm

The question is always the same: do you want to brew the best possible beer with your equipment, and are you willing to do anything to reach that goal within reason? If so, there are best practices, and you have to start consulting Kunze, and the other great masters to know what they are. And maybe they will tell you you can dilute your wort under certain very specific circumstances. And if it takes standing on your head during the mash to improve your beer with one percent, you may want to do that, if that's your thing. If your attitude is: if you can drink the water you can brew with it, and you are happy with your beer, you can dilute your wort unconditionally.

No disrespect meant, it all boils down (!) to personal choice.
homoeccentricus

Unread postby mashy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:56 am

Nice pun 8)

I get and agree with your point. However that is a long way from "very bad" .
mashy

Unread postby grooves » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:16 am

There's two things that topping up introduces -

bacteria from the water - as long as you're not using a third world water supply, these will easily be outcompeted by the yeast and killed by a combination of pH, alcohol, and anti-septic hop compounds

oxygen - but just before pitching yeast is the time this is beneficial anyway

so there are not any real problems - just the purity of your process. Personally I don't top-up as getting slightly stronger beer or slightly less beer that I was expecting is hardly a disaster.
grooves

Unread postby Onthebrew » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:37 am

Ok, so for me getting the water down from around 35c to 25c with IC takes an age and I am uneasy with all that water wasted, too much water(even after saving for cleaning).

So topping up with 5 litres of fridge cold water( or even frozen water?) when it reaches down 35c could be the future? Any issues here?
Onthebrew

Unread postby grooves » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:15 am

I don't see any problem with that as long as you use freshly drawn water - or better bottled water or better still previously boiled water.

Ps - wasted IC water was the main reason I switched to a plate chiller and I've never looked back.
grooves

Unread postby grooves » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:27 am

Following on from this - I used the tools in Beersmith to do some calculations. Adding cold water might not be enough to get you to pitching temperature...

Adding 5l of water at 5c should bring 15l of water at 35c to only 27c, if you want to get it to 20c to pitch, the water needs to be -28c... which is obviously not possible...
grooves

Next

Return to General Brewing Discussions