Can You Over Pitch Yeast?

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: Can You Over Pitch Yeast?

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed May 28, 2014 12:23 am

Dicko wrote:
I wonder if I can get a DO meter passed by the"minister for finance" in my home. :lol:

I am actively lobbying mine as well :wink: :cheers:

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed May 28, 2014 6:25 am

good luck. i am familiar with such lobbying. be a shark! i'm fresh off a flash new pH meter, so letting things settle before discussing upgrade to BM50

does anyone, like me, 'think' that someday they will approximate their O2 tank flow rate by leaving the normal pressure valve on the same low setting as always and filling a balloon inside a 2L bottle (with holes punched in the bottom) (of the bottle, not the balloon) and measuring the time to fill the balloon? i know i'll never do it but keep thinking i should. although this should probably be done with the stone on the end as it seems to increase resistance and therefore reduce flow rate? anyways what i do is use the same amount of time, and guess that the O2 is where i want it. fermentation goes as i want, so i carry on with the same process.
dinnerstick

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed May 28, 2014 7:23 am

dinnerstick wrote:good luck. i am familiar with such lobbying. be a shark! i'm fresh off a flash new pH meter, so letting things settle before discussing upgrade to BM50

does anyone, like me, 'think' that someday they will approximate their O2 tank flow rate by leaving the normal pressure valve on the same low setting as always and filling a balloon inside a 2L bottle (with holes punched in the bottom) (of the bottle, not the balloon) and measuring the time to fill the balloon? i know i'll never do it but keep thinking i should. although this should probably be done with the stone on the end as it seems to increase resistance and therefore reduce flow rate? anyways what i do is use the same amount of time, and guess that the O2 is where i want it. fermentation goes as i want, so i carry on with the same process.

Got my O2 tank from a hospital, so the regulator shows both the pressure remaining inside the tank + the flowrate in liters/minute ("lpm").

Something along these lines:

http://www.p-wholesale.com/cn-pro/10/45 ... 34611.html

To figure out how reliable those lpm markings are, need that DO meter :wink:

Unread postby Dicko » Wed May 28, 2014 10:05 am

Cervantes wrote:Dicko,

Many thanks for that.

You are, if I may say so, a Gentleman.

I pinched this from the AHB forum.............

"Recommended dosage is 60sec @ 1 litre/min for a 23 litre batch through a 0.5 micron airstone."

I've added it here so that I can find it again :D

I was not completely sure of that specification but from memory it sounds pretty close.
Again from memory I have found that 90 seconds seems optimal for me but the chinese flow meter may not be that accurate either.
As cpa4ny said above a DO meter would be the only accurate way to determine the result.

The title of Gentleman is hard to maintain when I drink but that is another story. :lol:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby royco » Thu May 29, 2014 11:35 am

cpa4ny wrote:
Dicko wrote:
I wonder if I can get a DO meter passed by the"minister for finance" in my home. :lol:

I am actively lobbying mine as well :wink: :cheers:

Does a DO meter cost less than a BM50?
royco

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby royco » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:54 pm

dinnerstick wrote:good luck. i am familiar with such lobbying. be a shark! i'm fresh off a flash new pH meter, so letting things settle before discussing upgrade to BM50

OK, so my geek side kicked in. Didn't have a handy 2L container so filled a balloon with 2L of water and approximated the size. Set my OMA 3 (0.5~5 lpm) to 2lpm and found it to be under reading by half. In other words it was delivering about 4 lpm at the 2 lpm setting. Will do it more scientifically later.
Royco
royco

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:48 am

Does anyone here uses disposable O2 tanks with a regulator for wort oxygenation?
Like the BernzOmatic one?

I have this oxygenation system: Image

But is quite difficult to find O2 disposable tanks in Europe to fit in. Do you have any idea?

I found this O2 disposable tank from 13£:

With a regulating pressure valvel (max 4L/min) for 25£:

For human use purposes...

I think it may fit with a oxygenation system tubing :wink:
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby Cervantes » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:58 am

Luis Coentrao wrote:Does anyone here uses disposable O2 tanks with a regulator for wort oxygenation?

Yes I use the Bernzomatic refills. About AU$30 from Bunnings Hardware.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby cpa4ny » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:43 am

Luis Coentrao wrote:Does anyone here uses disposable O2 tanks with a regulator for wort oxygenation?

I have this oxygenation system: Image

But is quite difficult to find O2 disposable tanks in Europe to fit in. Do you have any idea?

I found this O2 disposable tank from 13£:

With a regulating pressure valvel (max 4L/min) for 25£:

For human use purposes...

I think it may fit with a oxygenation system tubing :wink:

Should work fine - just needs a diffusion stone at the end of the hose: http://morebeer.com/products/diffusion- ... reads.html

Unread postby royco » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:38 pm

Dicko wrote:Here is the flow meter that I use. LINK ON EBAY I have the LZQ 2 model.
While it is not absolutely accurate it does give a close approximation of how much you are putting into your wort.

I need to thank Dan from here for sourcing it for me.... :D

Thanks for the link Dicko. The only model I could get locally was the 0~5 lpm model. The 0~3 would be better. I did a few "balloon tests" and it seems now to be reading about 30% out, i.e. a setting of 1.5 lpm for 60 sec yielded just over 2l of O2. Maybe this is being a bit anal as some guys just use O2 with no flowmeter and let rip for 90 secs or so. Anyway I'm glad to have it and will try this flow rate for 2 mins on a 50l batch. Apparently you have to overdo it by a fair margin to notice any ill effects.
royco

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:11 pm

royco wrote:
Dicko wrote:Here is the flow meter that I use. LINK ON EBAY I have the LZQ 2 model.
While it is not absolutely accurate it does give a close approximation of how much you are putting into your wort.

I need to thank Dan from here for sourcing it for me.... :D

Thanks for the link Dicko. The only model I could get locally was the 0~5 lpm model. The 0~3 would be better. I did a few "balloon tests" and it seems now to be reading about 30% out, i.e. a setting of 1.5 lpm for 60 sec yielded just over 2l of O2. Maybe this is being a bit anal as some guys just use O2 with no flowmeter and let rip for 90 secs or so. Anyway I'm glad to have it and will try this flow rate for 2 mins on a 50l batch. Apparently you have to overdo it by a fair margin to notice any ill effects.

As fussy as I am about many things, O2 flow isn't one of them. I have a regulator without a gauge, so I'm guessing too. I do have the Milwaukee DO meter on my wish list. I've read someplace, can't remember where... maybe Yeast book from White and Jamil, that you have to get up above ~30ppm to see effects from overoxygenation. So I don't really worry too much about that. I think it would be pretty hard in a homebrew setup to actually get up that high.

Unread postby royco » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:40 pm

Thank you, much appreciated. I am doing an amber ale tomorrow and will just set at the calculated rate. The inefficiencies of the system will deduct a percentage and the remaining over-oxygenation should not be excessive. Beats the hell out of sloshing 50L of wort around 8 or 10 times or using an aquarium pump for half an hour! :cheers:
royco

Previous

Return to General Brewing Discussions