Low DO brewing method..a new approach

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: Low DO brewing method..a new approach

Unread postby wobdee » Fri May 11, 2018 3:49 pm

The pump device kit is now available in the US at www.bwcequipment.com
$150 plus shipping, I ordered mine today.
wobdee

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby homoeccentricus » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:48 am

The low oxygen toolkit is available: https://shop.speidels-braumeister.de/en ... ob-set-20l
homoeccentricus

Unread postby uk_brewer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:32 pm

Wonder when it will available at more beer
uk_brewer

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Onthebrew » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:18 pm

I was thinking about trying a larger/pils for the first time.

i see on the spiedel site they recommend the low oxygen approach. The low oxygen toolkit looks only to be compatible with the new BM with cooling sleeve but not previous ones as far as i can tell so not sure it would be of any use.

The whole low Oxygen thing puts me of having a go at a lager. i can only think that it came about because traditional home brew methods were falling short in terms of delivering a quality product. If what I end up is inferior in taste to half decent commercial brands like Heineken/kronenburg then whats the point?

i quite like a can of Heineken every now and then- sort of a pallet cleaner after overdoing it on american pales and IPAs. Also, despite my greatest efforts thus far, lager is what most of my friends still drink so id like to be able to show them that home brew can deliver as good or better results than the usual commercial choices. i was thinking of trying the fast lager method too - has anyone had any joy with this- can it produce commercial Quality lager? without low oxygen approach?

I was dissappointed with my Krolsh attempt- tasted like cheap lager. so if i am to bother i would want to be able to deliver something clean crisp and malty.

Thoughts anyone?
Onthebrew

Unread postby Onthebrew » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:19 pm

I was thinking about trying a larger/pils for the first time.

i see on the spiedel site they recommend the low oxygen approach. The low oxygen toolkit looks only to be compatible with the new BM with cooling sleeve but not previous ones as far as i can tell so not sure it would be of any use.

The whole low Oxygen thing puts me of having a go at a lager. i can only think that it came about because traditional home brew methods were falling short in terms of delivering a quality product. If what I end up is inferior in taste to half decent commercial brands like Heineken/kronenburg then whats the point?

i quite like a can of Heineken every now and then- sort of a pallet cleaner after overdoing it on american pales and IPAs. Also, despite my greatest efforts thus far, lager is what most of my friends still drink so id like to be able to show them that home brew can deliver as good or better results than the usual commercial choices. i was thinking of trying the fast lager method too - has anyone had any joy with this- can it produce commercial Quality lager? without low oxygen approach?

I was dissappointed with my Krolsh attempt- tasted like cheap lager. so if i am to bother i would want to be able to deliver something clean crisp and malty.

Thoughts anyone?
Onthebrew

Unread postby IPA » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:01 pm

Onthebrew wrote:I was thinking about trying a larger/pils for the first time.

Thoughts anyone?

Half decent brands like Heineken/Kronenbourg :?: I give up. Set you targets higher
IPA

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Onthebrew » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:31 pm

That's kind of my point- if standard home practise cant even reach that level then is there any point in brewing lagers?
Onthebrew

Unread postby wobdee » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:45 pm

Im pretty sure the Speidel LO kit is compatible with the older model BM's. You can still brew low oxygen without the kit, I flood the malt pipe, no sparge and have a tight fitting lid instead of mash cap and have great results.
wobdee

Unread postby Onthebrew » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:13 pm

wobdee wrote:Im pretty sure the Speidel LO kit is compatible with the older model BM's. You can still brew low oxygen without the kit, I flood the malt pipe, no sparge and have a tight fitting lid instead of mash cap and have great results.

Ok might be worth a go.

What were your results like on lagers pre low oxygen brewing?
Onthebrew

Unread postby wobdee » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:46 pm

Onthebrew wrote:
wobdee wrote:Im pretty sure the Speidel LO kit is compatible with the older model BM's. You can still brew low oxygen without the kit, I flood the malt pipe, no sparge and have a tight fitting lid instead of mash cap and have great results.

Ok might be worth a go.

What were your results like on lagers pre low oxygen brewing?

They were ok but just didnt have that elusive German malt flavor and aroma that I was after. Now the malts really shine through and stay that way to the last drop in the keg.
wobdee

Unread postby Onthebrew » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:13 am

is that just necessary with helles- or does it apply to all lagers and pilsners too. may have a go at an octoberfest lager instead
Onthebrew

Unread postby wobdee » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:02 am

Onthebrew wrote:is that just necessary with helles- or does it apply to all lagers and pilsners too. may have a go at an octoberfest lager instead

It applies to all Lagers IMO but i think you'll notice it a little more in your light lagers.
wobdee

Previous

Return to General Brewing Discussions