Low DO brewing method..a new approach

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: Low DO brewing method..a new approach

Unread postby wobdee » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:12 am

Big Monk wrote:I’m interested in how people are effectively whirpooling. I have yet to search the forum for a solution yet, though, which is what I should do first

I just use my spoon to gently whirlpool a few times then let everything settle for 45-60 min. I've never seen a true trub cone in the middle of the kettle but my IC seems to hold back most from going into fermenter. I also use a stainless hop spider that slides down the center rod that really helps with hop sludge.
wobdee

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Big Monk » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:26 am

homoeccentricus wrote:I have been unable to get a good quality whirlpool (I have the previous BM model). That's one of the reasons why I boil in a separate kettle.

wobdee wrote:I just use my spoon to gently whirlpool a few times then let everything settle for 45-60 min. I've never seen a true trub cone in the middle of the kettle but my IC seems to hold back most from going into fermenter. I also use a stainless hop spider that slides down the center rod that really helps with hop sludge.

I've been brainstorming about many little tricks ahead of the the BMs arrival. Have you guys seen this?:

abpumpvorrichtung-20-liter.jpg

abpumpvorrichtung-3.jpg

My thinking is to add the inserts before heating strike and insert some stiffened tubing (silicone tubing with SS tubing inserted) into the the suction side insert. Depending on the length of the tubing, you can set how high above the trub you'd pull when transferring off. You can then install the pumping device after flameout and whirlpool with the top side by attaching a length of tubing there.

When settled, you can activate the BM pump and pump off clear wort into the fermenter using the attachment.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Messieurs, c’est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot." Louis Pasteur

Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com
Big Monk

Unread postby wobdee » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:05 pm

That's a neat little contraption, is that something new from Speidel? I can see where the new BM Plus with the cooling jacket could benefit from a good whirlpool to help with cooling. I've only read a couple reviews of the Plus and they didn't sound like the cooling jacket was very efficient compared to an IC. A good whirlpool may help. Some people have installed 3 way valves underneath the BM on the pump hardware as well.
wobdee

Unread postby Big Monk » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:39 pm

wobdee wrote:That's a neat little contraption, is that something new from Speidel? I can see where the new BM Plus with the cooling jacket could benefit from a good whirlpool to help with cooling. I've only read a couple reviews of the Plus and they didn't sound like the cooling jacket was very efficient compared to an IC. A good whirlpool may help. Some people have installed 3 way valves underneath the BM on the pump hardware as well.

Not sure how long it's been out but they have it listed on the Speidel site.

My goal is to utilize as much of the unit stock as I can in my initial testing. I want to test it as it will come from Speidel for anyone who buys the unit new. That said, I will be using my IC in a 5 gallon bucket loaded with ice water as a pre-chiller to the Plus internal coil.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

Big Monk

Unread postby mashy » Tue May 01, 2018 6:44 am

Not sure how long it's been out but they have it listed on the Speidel site.

Do you have a link? I can't find it on their site. :(
mashy

Unread postby Nashbrew » Tue May 01, 2018 9:58 am

Is this what you are looking for Mashy?

https://shop.speidels-braumeister.de/en ... raumeister

I built my own.
Attachments
pumpedoutlet.jpg
Don't forget to wake up breathing!
Nashbrew

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby wobdee » Tue May 01, 2018 11:15 am

Looks like in the US the pump device will be available this Summer from morebeer.com.
wobdee

Unread postby homoeccentricus » Tue May 01, 2018 11:16 am

How about clear wort when you use this device?
homoeccentricus

Unread postby Big Monk » Tue May 01, 2018 11:34 am

homoeccentricus wrote:How about clear wort when you use this device?

My plan is to have a piece of tubing in the suction side insert so that as the trub pile settles during whirlpool I'll be drawing off above it.

Big Monk

Unread postby wobdee » Tue May 01, 2018 12:42 pm

Big Monk wrote:
homoeccentricus wrote:How about clear wort when you use this device?

My plan is to have a piece of tubing in the suction side insert so that as the trub pile settles during whirlpool I'll be drawing off above it.

Might not even have to do that. Those inserts that fit into the suction and outflow look like they have a little height to them that may be enough to keep trub out? Also that outside edge where the suction is located usually stays pretty clear for me anyways until the end when the trub starts to creep outwards.

I'll definitely be purchasing one of these, I had one episode where tipping the BM to get the wort out almost caused a major disaster. It's not very stable when you place something under the rear legs and have your IC hoses hanging off the side. Luckily I was standing right there when she started to go.

Also plan on try out a venturi in line for oxygenation.
wobdee

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Tue May 01, 2018 6:35 pm

I finally have a solution to my mash cap problems. I add enough liquid to bring the level above the central rod and use the attached baking tray to reduce the surface area. It fits the 20L BM perfectly.

Resized_20180429_135009.jpeg

Resized_20180501_192254.jpeg
Dr Jacoby

Unread postby homoeccentricus » Tue May 01, 2018 10:33 pm

The question is then what is the maximum gravity you can obtain with so much liquid...
homoeccentricus

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Wed May 02, 2018 5:41 am

I have the bac bring filter disc that sits on top of the malt pipe allowing me to use 7.5kg of grain. I haven't pushed it to the limit yet so not sure what gravity is achievable. More than enough for mid range lagers I suspect.
Dr Jacoby

Unread postby Big Monk » Wed May 02, 2018 2:28 pm

homoeccentricus wrote:The question is then what is the maximum gravity you can obtain with so much liquid...

This was a major concern of mine in addition to having to dramatically increase my output to accommodate the BM. Then I got to thinking, I brew the following beers (expanded recently to include Saison and BdG):

Table Bier/Single
Pale ale
Saison
Amber BdG
Dubbel
Tripel
Dark Strong Ale
Imperial Stout

Of those beers, only 2 don’t have sugar and all the rest use at least 8%. With he exception of maybe the DSA and RIS, I can get away brewing a 12 °P base beer and letting the sugar get me to my OG.

Big Monk

Unread postby mashy » Wed May 02, 2018 3:17 pm

Nashbrew wrote:Is this what you are looking for Mashy?

https://shop.speidels-braumeister.de/en ... raumeister

I built my own.

Thank Nash
It seems so. I was mistaken I thought there was something new for LoDo especially.
I agree with you about building your own Gandalf did a copper one (and wrote up the plans.)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2670
mashy

PreviousNext

Return to General Brewing Discussions