Low DO brewing method..a new approach

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: Low DO brewing method..a new approach

Unread postby wobdee » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:47 pm

_20180421_144155.JPG
Attachments
_20180421_144412.JPG
wobdee

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby wobdee » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:30 pm

Dr Jacoby wrote:Quick lodo related issue that might be of general interest:

To minimise oxygen ingress at the end of the mash, I raise the malt pipe very gently, bit by bit, using a hoist until the lower filter screen is just above the level of the wort but the bottom of the malt pipe (i.e. the bit with the rubber seal) is still submerged. I hang the malt pipe in this position while I wait for the wort to come to the boil. I figure that this has two benefits. First, the malt pipe acts as a cap that reduces the surface area exposed to oxygen while the wort is brought to the boil. Second, the process of slowly lifting the malt pipe and holding it at just the right level allows me to minimise (or even eliminate) drips and splashing.

My question is: if the malt pipe is held in this position for the time it takes to bring the wort to the boil (approximately 20 minutes), will the wort gathered below remain crystal clear or will it inevitably get cloudier as some of the trapped trub seeps down through the grain? We're all used to seeing crystal clear wort above the malt pipe at the end of mashing, but once we remove the malt pipe (by whatever means, but especially via the slow process described above) do we unavoidably lose that pristine clarity?

In my limited experience with this new method, it seems to me the wort left behind is not as crystal clear as I would hope. I'm trying to figure out if there's something I can do about this or is it just an unavoidable outcome of having to remove the malt pipe, thereby disturbing the grain bed and allowing trub to escape?

Any thoughts?

Here's a (terrible) pic of the hoist holding the malt pipe in position as described above:
Braumeister hoist.jpg

How has this worked out for you? I've always set the malt pipe in a bowl while waiting for the boil but was thinking of trying this hang the malt pipe option next time.

Do you think the malt pipe gasket is rated for liquid of those higher temps?

How does your wort look as far as clarity? I always scoop a little bit of grain pieces out of the kettle with a strainer as wait for the boil, not sure if it effects anything, not much grain with a good crush.
wobdee

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:23 pm

I use a second vessel now for the strike water and boil. It allows me to underlet and drain very gently.
Dr Jacoby

Unread postby homoeccentricus » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:48 am

Dr Jacoby wrote:I use a second vessel now for the strike water and boil. It allows me to underlet and drain very gently.
Same here.
homoeccentricus

Unread postby wobdee » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:52 am

How are you guys draining all the wort out, did you install a bottom drain or just tip the unit to get all you can? How does your wort clarity look compared to the lift the malt pipe wort previously?
wobdee

Unread postby Big Monk » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:05 am

I’ve got a brand new 20L plus with the LO prototype stuff Gustav is testing coming in May. I’ll be putting it through it’s paces.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

"Messieurs, c’est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot." Louis Pasteur

Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com
Big Monk

Unread postby wobdee » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:41 am

Big Monk wrote:I’ve got a brand new 20L plus with the LO prototype stuff Gustav is testing coming in May. I’ll be putting it through it’s paces.

Lucky bastard, must be nice lol, keep us posted, there's a few of us here that can help if you need it. I've been talking to them as well.
wobdee

Unread postby Big Monk » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:05 am

wobdee wrote:
Big Monk wrote:I’ve got a brand new 20L plus with the LO prototype stuff Gustav is testing coming in May. I’ll be putting it through it’s paces.

Lucky bastard, must be nice lol, keep us posted, there's a few of us here that can help if you need it. I've been talking to them as well.

I will definitely be leaning on the collective experience here. I appreciate all the work that all the BM users have put in making this a viable option.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle

Big Monk

Unread postby homoeccentricus » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:35 pm

wobdee wrote:I've been talking to them as well.

I think they haven't contacted me because I have been cursing in public at this machine too often :(
homoeccentricus

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:48 pm

wobdee wrote:How are you guys draining all the wort out, did you install a bottom drain or just tip the unit to get all you can? How does your wort clarity look compared to the lift the malt pipe wort previously?

Bottom drain. Very handy for lodo and for cleaning. The clarity is definitely better, in fact excellent.
Dr Jacoby

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:51 pm

What's the prototype stuff? I'm obviously out of the loop!
Dr Jacoby

Unread postby Lindh » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:20 pm

Check it out at www.lindhcraftbeer.com
Lindh

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby homoeccentricus » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:22 pm

wobdee wrote:How are you guys draining all the wort out, did you install a bottom drain or just tip the unit to get all you can? How does your wort clarity look compared to the lift the malt pipe wort previously?
I use the Bacbrewing Springer filter. Works well.
homoeccentricus

Unread postby Big Monk » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:37 pm

I’m interested in how people are effectively whirpooling. I have yet to search the forum for a solution yet, though, which is what I should do first

Big Monk

Unread postby homoeccentricus » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:00 am

Big Monk wrote:I’m interested in how people are effectively whirpooling. I have yet to search the forum for a solution yet, though, which is what I should do first

I have been unable to get a good quality whirlpool (I have the previous BM model). That's one of the reasons why I boil in a separate kettle.
homoeccentricus

PreviousNext

Return to General Brewing Discussions