Has anyone considered this?

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Has anyone considered this?

Unread postby Sportyone » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Hi
Just ordered my 50l BM, hopefully get it within the week, happy days.
Total newbie to brewing, but in preparation for my first brew, hopefully within the next month, I have been thinking about ways of maintaining fermenter temperature.
I have found this material and think it may well do the job combined with a thermowell and/or sensor controlled thermostat (link below)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Underfloor-He ... 7b6c2cb0d7

I have seen and read about the usual aids used such as, heat pads, belts & aquarium heaters, but thought this would give a more controlled and even temperature.

Any thoughts!

Stephen
Sportyone
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Northern Ireland
Model: 50 litres

Re: Has anyone considered this?

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:00 pm

usually you will be wanting to cool, not heat. for when you do want to heat i'm sure that's fine though
User avatar
dinnerstick
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:51 am
Location: Utrecht NL
Model: 20 litres

Re: Has anyone considered this?

Unread postby Cervantes » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:19 pm

Here in Australia cooling is much more of an issue than heating.

I personally use a very cheap old second hand fridge and a dual outlet temperature controller.

Temp Controller.JPG
Temp Controller


The sensor sits in the fridge, the fridge is plugged into the cool socket and the heat pad into the heat socket. Then just set your fermentation temp and away you go.

Spunding.JPG
Fermenting in Keg.


This set up cost less than $100 Aussie, including the fridge. Just takes up a bit of space.

Cheers
Andy
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
User avatar
Cervantes
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:54 am
Location: Cervantes, Western Australia
Model: 20 litres

Re: Has anyone considered this?

Unread postby Nesto » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:24 am

Sportyone wrote:Hi
Just ordered my 50l BM, hopefully get it within the week, happy days.
Total newbie to brewing, but in preparation for my first brew, hopefully within the next month, I have been thinking about ways of maintaining fermenter temperature.
I have found this material and think it may well do the job combined with a thermowell and/or sensor controlled thermostat (link below)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Underfloor-He ... 7b6c2cb0d7

I have seen and read about the usual aids used such as, heat pads, belts & aquarium heaters, but thought this would give a more controlled and even temperature.

Any thoughts!

Stephen

I LOVE my heated/cooled conical from MoreBeer (http://morebeer.com/products/14-gallon- ... ooled.html). It's a little pricey, but it works so well if you don't have space for a fermentation chamber. I've seen some DIYs using Peltier cooling units as well: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/ ... ic=18452.0
___________________________
Check out my brewing blog... http://www.sycamorecreekbrewing.com/
User avatar
Nesto
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:03 pm
Location: Northern California
Model: 20 litres

Re: Has anyone considered this?

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:50 am

i have a DIY peltier based thingy. detailed in this thread hijack
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=127&start=15
if my 2-keg kegerator isn't full then i often default to using that for fermentation since i have a temp controller on it anyways, less hassle and quieter
User avatar
dinnerstick
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:51 am
Location: Utrecht NL
Model: 20 litres

Re: Has anyone considered this?

Unread postby Nesto » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:23 am

dinnerstick wrote:i have a DIY peltier based thingy. detailed in this thread hijack
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=127&start=15
if my 2-keg kegerator isn't full then i often default to using that for fermentation since i have a temp controller on it anyways, less hassle and quieter

One of the DIYs I was thinking of... that rig is sweet!
___________________________
Check out my brewing blog... http://www.sycamorecreekbrewing.com/
User avatar
Nesto
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:03 pm
Location: Northern California
Model: 20 litres

Re: Has anyone considered this?

Unread postby niels » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:18 pm

I too use an old fridge with a temperature controller. The controller is called STC-1000 and can be found for 20 USD on eBay. There is a project on GitHub with custom firmware that enables you to create temperature profiles. Very interesting, but I have to find some time to try it out.

Niels
User avatar
niels
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1056
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:08 pm
Location: Belgium
Model: 50 litres

Re: Has anyone considered this?

Unread postby Cervantes » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:45 pm

Niels,

I'd be really interested in something that would let me create temperature profiles for the fermenting fridge.

I work away from home so tend to brew when I'm home, rack from primary to secondary and then let the yeast do it's thing at 19^C whilst I'm away fro three weeks.

At some point I'd like to get into making some lagers and so something that I could set and forget that would manage fermentation temperature profiles would be great.

Unfortunately I don't have much of a clue with electronics, so would either need to find something ready made or a very easy to build kit.

I tried the website, but couldn't even work out how to use that, which demonstrates how challenged I am in this area :?

Cheers
Andy
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
User avatar
Cervantes
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:54 am
Location: Cervantes, Western Australia
Model: 20 litres

Re: Has anyone considered this?

Unread postby niels » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:24 am

Cervantes wrote:Niels,

I'd be really interested in something that would let me create temperature profiles for the fermenting fridge.

I work away from home so tend to brew when I'm home, rack from primary to secondary and then let the yeast do it's thing at 19^C whilst I'm away fro three weeks.

At some point I'd like to get into making some lagers and so something that I could set and forget that would manage fermentation temperature profiles would be great.

Unfortunately I don't have much of a clue with electronics, so would either need to find something ready made or a very easy to build kit.

I tried the website, but couldn't even work out how to use that, which demonstrates how challenged I am in this area :?

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy,

I posted a new topic regarding temperature controllers. But to give you a quick answer: reprogramming the STC-1000 is not meant for everyone. It takes some extra hardware and basic electronics knowledge. Either you get someone to flash a STC-1000 for you or you can check out one of the alternatives in the post.

Niels
User avatar
niels
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1056
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:08 pm
Location: Belgium
Model: 50 litres

Re: Has anyone considered this?

Unread postby Sportyone » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:32 pm

Thanks guy's
Some good information to consider and get my head round :D
Sportyone
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Northern Ireland
Model: 50 litres

Re: Has anyone considered this?

Unread postby richard54 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:44 pm

My first post here! Depends how much effort you want to put in:
- i am using an STC100 aquarium control linked to a heat pad in the UK to keep the temp up. this gives you a set temp +/- 1C
- there is a better controller which has a narrower temp range - forget the number
- if you got to the next step you have a fridge with heating and cooling, can still do with one controller, but there may be issues with bith temp swings. Lots of debate where you put the tem probe - in the wort or in the fridge air space.. But you can link a couple of these devices together and have temp probes in the beer and in the fridge. By linking them you can contruct and / or gate logic so you can have quite sophisticated control.
- next step is to use a microprocessor to control the fridge with a clever algorithm -- have a look at Brewpi.com. I have bought one these and am testing it. But its not for the faint hearted, you need to be vaguely technically competent. I have been working on and off since May ...
richard54
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:08 pm
Model: 20 litres

Re: Has anyone considered this?

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:53 pm

Cervantes wrote:Here in Australia cooling is much more of an issue than heating.

I personally use a very cheap old second hand fridge and a dual outlet temperature controller.

Temp Controller.JPG


The sensor sits in the fridge, the fridge is plugged into the cool socket and the heat pad into the heat socket. Then just set your fermentation temp and away you go.

Spunding.JPG


This set up cost less than $100 Aussie, including the fridge. Just takes up a bit of space.

Cheers
Andy


Hi Andy,
Good experience usina a Keg for fermentation? Pressurized fermentation or just for carbonation?
Luis Coentrao
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:07 pm
Location: Porto, Portugal
Model: 50 litres (2015)

Re: Has anyone considered this?

Unread postby Cervantes » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:59 am

Louis.

I was doing it mainly for the carbonation, but gave up on it in the end as was more trouble than it was worth for me. I work away from home so was leaving the beer fermenting for three weeks or more whilst I was at work and whilst I initially achieved some pressure and carbonation from the fermentation it would generally disappear whilst I was away. I never managed to find the leak in the system and have now reverted to normal atmospheric pressure fermentation and then force carbing when I keg
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
User avatar
Cervantes
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:54 am
Location: Cervantes, Western Australia
Model: 20 litres


Return to General Brewing Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest