Which buffer/storage solutions for a pH meter?

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Which buffer/storage solutions for a pH meter?

Unread postby Beerkench » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi chaps,

I want to buy a PH meter but I'm a bit confused about the solutions.
Do I buy both 4 and 7 buffer solutions, 4 for storage and 7 for calibrating, or can I just buy the pH 7 buffer for both?

Also how exactly do you store the electrode in the solution?
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench

Re: Which buffer/storage solutions for a pH meter?

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:00 pm

Beerkench wrote:Hi chaps,

Do I buy both 4 and 7 buffer solutions, 4 for storage and 7 for calibrating, or can I just buy the pH 7 buffer for both?

I would buy both solutions.
I first calibrate my unit in PH7 solution and then PH4 as I believe this gives the most accuracy.
I store my meter with the probe immersed in PH4 solution between uses. My PH meter was supplied with a protective cap for the tip and I half fill this cap and insert the probe and store it standing upright in the cupboard.
I have thought about removing the probe each time and storing it separately but I will continue down the path I am on and assess just how long my first probe lasts. So far 14 months. :D

Btw if I was only going to calibrate with one solution I would use the PH4 and store in that as well as #4 is closer to your required scale.

Cheers
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby cpa4ny » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:40 am

Beerkench - the answer is "it depends".

Some meters offer dual-point calibration (like the one I use: http://www.amazon.com/Hanna-Instruments ... r+for+beer ), some meters only offer single-point calibration.

If you go for the latter option, there is no need to buy two calibrating solutions - you can get one calibrating solution and one storage solution.

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby niels » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:57 pm

Hi Beerkench,

This was a difficult topic for me too, but after some reading I distilled the following information out all the things I read:
  • The best way to store your pH meter is using the storage solution (which is KCl 3 M). If you don't have this, use the 4.0 buffer solution.
  • If you have a 2-point calibration meter, you best buy the solutions closest to the range you want to measure (e.g. we want to measure accurately in the range of 5.0~6.0, so you need biffers 4.0 and 7.0)
  • The above goes also if you have a single point calibration meter. You best calibrate with 4.0 as the farther you go from the calibration point, the greater the deviation.
In short: if you want to keep it easy, buy the 4.0 buffer for a single-point or 4.0 and 7.0 for a dual-point calibration and use the 4.0 buffer as storage solution. But I advise to buy storage solution as it should prolong the probes life.

(The pH meter I got came with all 3 buffer solutions and a storage solution...)

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Return to General Brewing Discussions