Beyond Braumeister?

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Beyond Braumeister?

Unread postby Cervantes » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:02 am

Hi,

Apart from knocking out a few kits many years ago I pretty well started brewing with AG and my Brewmeister and so have never tried BIAB, HERMS, RIMS or any other brewing systems.

I see on the forums that I frequent that many people switch from other systems to the BM for ease of use; lack of space; lack of time or for whatever reason.

But does anyone progress from the BM on to more advanced brewing systems? If so, what systems and why?

I'm still very new to Brewing and the BM and am very happy where I am, but I was just curious as to whether there was a natural progression from the BM to another system.

Cheers
Andy
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Model: 20 litres

Re: Beyond Braumeister?

Unread postby cpa4ny » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:55 am

Well - there are what they call "pilot" systems that are used by big brewers to fine-tune their recipes.

Brew Magic by Sabco certainly comes to mind:

https://brewmagic.com/brewing-systems/b ... ms-system/" target="_blank

I understand that its consistency and efficiency is extremely high.

That said - there are a few other considerations:

a.) It costs USD 7k in the US vs USD 3k for a 50L Braumeister.

b.) It's got 3 vessels - more things to clean.

c.) It's gas-fired - i.e. it cannot be used indoors.

For apartment-dwellers like myself, c.) is a show-stopper.

Hope that helps :beer:

Unread postby Cervantes » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:50 am

Now that is sexy. All it needs is a good Clean In Place system to make cleaning easy.

Way out of my league, but if I won the lottery I might be tempted.

Cheers
Andy
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby niels » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:43 am

cpa4ny wrote:Brew Magic by Sabco certainly comes to mind:

https://brewmagic.com/brewing-systems/b ... ms-system/" target="_blank

I understand that its consistency and efficiency is extremely high.

FYI: There is a Brewing TV episode where Michael Dawson visits Worth Brewing Company. The guy runs his business (pub + local deliveries) using a Sabco system.

:cheers:
Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby cpa4ny » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:26 am

Dogfish Head also got started on a Sabco.

Unread postby Cervantes » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:18 am

This is a very sexy bit of kit and would be a very nice companion piece for the BM..................

http://www.williamswarn.com/The-WilliamsWarn#.U1r5LvmSyVY
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu May 01, 2014 9:24 am

I went the other way- rather than using the BM as a pilot system for a bigger brewhouse, I use BIAB as a pilot for the BM. In a 9L kettle and an imprecise hot plate (to sort of maintain the temp, i dough in at a precise temp and the hot plate just keeps it pretty close through the mash), and the big gas ring on my kitchen stove, cooling either with my BM immersion chiller which just fits in this little kettle, or old school water bath in the sink, i can knock out a 4-6L brew in a few hours of minimal effort. These batches fit nicely (after trub loss) into 5L jugs or my 6.5L flask. It's perfect for weeknights while cooking dinner, especially if your yeast is ready and grains are all milled. It's great for tweaking recipes, trying something crazy, or building up yeast for a proper batch.
dinnerstick

Unread postby smeller » Sun May 04, 2014 8:29 am

smeller

Unread postby royco » Mon May 05, 2014 6:27 pm

dinnerstick wrote:I went the other way- rather than using the BM as a pilot system for a bigger brewhouse, I use BIAB as a pilot for the BM. In a 9L kettle and an imprecise hot plate (to sort of maintain the temp, i dough in at a precise temp and the hot plate just keeps it pretty close through the mash), and the big gas ring on my kitchen stove, cooling either with my BM immersion chiller which just fits in this little kettle, or old school water bath in the sink, i can knock out a 4-6L brew in a few hours of minimal effort. These batches fit nicely (after trub loss) into 5L jugs or my 6.5L flask. It's perfect for weeknights while cooking dinner, especially if your yeast is ready and grains are all milled. It's great for tweaking recipes, trying something crazy, or building up yeast for a proper batch.

+1 dinnerstick. I do exactly that. Just did a 4L BIAB test before doing a 50L Wit last weekend.
royco

Model: 50 litres

Return to General Brewing Discussions