Grain mill?

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: Grain mill?

Unread postby malzrohr » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:12 am

Hey Dan,
Your MillMaster mini mill looks like a well designed and engineered malt mill!
I find the specs and close up images depicted here quite impressive for home brewer equipment.
What I could find so far is that it is mainly available from Australia...
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Dan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:29 am

Hey malzrohr

Maybe a little over engineered for an amateur brewer, but I figured the extra $$ spent now would give me a mill that should last a lifetime.
And if I'm ever blessed with the opportunity to start a nano brewery, it should suffice for that job too.

The rollers are geared to turn together. Most small mills use the friction of the grain to turn the secondary roller - this can tear the husk.
Also the gap is adjustable at both ends. I can't think of any reason to have a large gap one end and small on the other, but at least you're not relying on a mechanism to adjust the gap perfectly even both ends - you can do this yourself manually and be certain to get a very consistent crush size = repeatable mash efficiency.
Dan

Unread postby bierfest » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:58 am

Dan wrote:PS - I forgot to mention I had to buy the shaft too - not supplied with the motor.
- 12mm

@Dan - where did you buy the shaft and what type of pin are you using to keep it i place?
bierfest

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:17 pm

bierfest wrote:
Dan wrote:PS - I forgot to mention I had to buy the shaft too - not supplied with the motor.
- 12mm

@Dan - where did you buy the shaft and what type of pin are you using to keep it i place?

I just bought a length of 12mm steel rod from a local steel supplier - from memory I think it was 100mm long.
There's a small hole in the "shaft hole" (highly technical name for where the shaft joins the motor drive output thingy :D )
I bought a split pin to fit the hole and drilled the same size hole in the shaft.
The split pin should be the weak point so it will break before any damage to the motor/gearbox is done.

Funny thing is - when first trying out the mill it sounded like the motor was turning but I couldn't see the mill cranking. For a while I thought I'd broken something, until I realised - just drilling the hole for the split pin wasn't good enough - I actually had to put the split pin in the hole too :lol:
Dan

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi Niels,

Stil happy with your Brewferm grain mill?
How do you Set the gap? With a feeler gauge?
Manual or automatic milling?

Cheers,
Luis
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby niels » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:42 pm

Luis Coentrao wrote:Hi Niels,

Stil happy with your Brewferm grain mill?
How do you Set the gap? With a feeler gauge?
Manual or automatic milling?

Cheers,
Luis

Well, I only did about 10 brews with it yet, but I'm still very happy with it. As mentions before (or in another thread) I don't like the way of adjusting the roller, but it not a biggie.

The mill has some markings at the side (imperial) so you have a good idea of the gap size (assuming they are correct). But I always mill a handful of grains to check the result instead of really measuring the gap. I feel this is a better way of milling as you know exactly how your grains will look like.

I use a cordless drill (Metabo) which handles it without a sweat. One day I will construct a small platform with a dedicated motor, but that's not for the near future.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Elderberry » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:21 am

I also have the Brewferm mill. After years of working with a Corona mill (which did a perfectly decent job, by the way), I love this thing. We'll see if I'm still saying that after a couple years.

I set my gap with a credit card and marked the settings. There are 2 adjustment screws (one for each side) with seemingly arbitrary numbers that don't match up on both sides.

Wingnuts to hold the gap. Why didn't I think of that?
Elderberry

Unread postby BrauTim » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:39 am

Elderberry wrote:
I set my gap with a credit card and marked the settings.

That's interesting a credit card is only 0.76mm thick by design !
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby Elderberry » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:53 pm

BrauTim wrote:
Elderberry wrote:
I set my gap with a credit card and marked the settings.

That's interesting a credit card is only 0.76mm thick by design !

OK, maybe it wasn't a credit card. Or maybe it was 2. Anyway, I measured a bunch of different cards and found something that got me close to 1.2mm (I think that's what I was going for).
Elderberry

Unread postby MattSR » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:17 am

Well I'll be posting up pictures of my mill ASAP.

I'm in the process of fabricating the original MashMaster Mk3 Mill into a stand with the Motion Dynamics motor and gearbox combo. This mill had larger rollers and ball bearings with a few other features that made it even more industrial than the MIniMill - however I don't need the extra beef - it was just all that was available 3 years ago when I purchased it.
MattSR

Unread postby bruulog » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:26 am

Our local shop mills the grains for a small fee. I need about 130 mills before I break even. This is 8+ years of milling. :)
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Unread postby Lylo » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:53 pm

bruulog, you also have to take into consideration the money saved by buying bulk grains and milling at home. I buy 55lbs of Canadian Maltings Superior Pale malt for around $40.
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby bruulog » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:50 am

Lylo wrote:bruulog, you also have to take into consideration the money saved by buying bulk grains and milling at home. I buy 55lbs of Canadian Maltings Superior Pale malt for around $40.

Good point Lylo but I have no storage space. I use about 10 kg of malts per brew so I'll have base malt bag open for almost 3 months.
I still have to go to the shop (5 min walk) and get special malts.
If I find a good used one, with reasonable price, I'll get it.
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Unread postby Lylo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:56 pm

Lucky you, I have to drive 150k to find a decent HBS!
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby Dan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Lylo wrote:Lucky you, I have to drive 150k to find a decent HBS!

Lucky YOU - Dicko and I have to drive 650km :(
Dan

PreviousNext

Return to General Brewing Discussions