Grain mill?

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: Grain mill?

Unread postby Victor Coelho » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:11 am

rocketman wrote:This is how I do, never had any problems, 0.9mm when doing BIAB and now 1.2mm (much easier)
the clip is from a 0.9mm milling.. I think its a two roller chinese variant I got. Bought it used.

Never had a wort fountain with this gap?
Victor Coelho

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby rocketman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:44 pm

Only do 1.2mm in the BM and never had any wort fountain, the 0.9 mm setting is for when doing 40l brew in a bag batch (my old setup)
rocketman

Unread postby Victor Coelho » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:06 pm

rocketman wrote:Only do 1.2mm in the BM and never had any wort fountain, the 0.9 mm setting is for when doing 40l brew in a bag batch (my old setup)

Thanks for this info Rocketman!
Have just set mine @1.2!!!
Victor Coelho

Unread postby niels » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:40 am

rocketman wrote:I think its a two roller chinese variant I got.

It does look exactly like my Brewferm mill (which is some Chinese copy of the originals). It does work great, but I want to replace the "screws" on the side to adjust the roller with a better system. Still undecided on what the replacement will be, though...

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby malzrohr » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:09 am

Anybody got experience with the Chinese malt mill copies as sold here?
Money wise it is tempting to go for a cheaper mill from China and see how far it goes.
On the other hand, I got so dissatified with el-cheapo stuff I had gathered when I was doing 3V, that I decided to cough up the extra money and get me things with that are well designed, well engineered and well manufactured: a Braumeister!
Btw. I am using a corona mill type now.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Unread postby bruulog » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:42 pm

Can any of you recommend quality mills, sold in EU. I like to avoid overpriced "Made in China" junk (if this is even possible now days)
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Unread postby niels » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:02 pm

malzrohr wrote:Anybody got experience with the Chinese malt mill copies as sold here?
Money wise it is tempting to go for a cheaper mill from China and see how far it goes.
On the other hand, I got so dissatified with el-cheapo stuff I had gathered when I was doing 3V, that I decided to cough up the extra money and get me things with that are well designed, well engineered and well manufactured: a Braumeister!
Btw. I am using a corona mill type now.

These look exactly like the "cheap" Brewferm (Brouwland) or schrootmolen.nl. I have the Brewferm version and I really like it (considering the price). The only downside is the way you have to lock down the roller with those "eye" screws. I will replace them with "butterfly" screws if I ever remember to buy them when I'm at the hardware store.
bruulog wrote:Can any of you recommend quality mills, sold in EU. I like to avoid overpriced "Made in China" junk (if this is even possible now days)

I'm not aware of EU manufactured mills. Maybe in the UK? Or importing one from the US? As said before: considering the price I don't think you can go wrong with these Chinese mills sold through EU dealers. A "real" one will outlive it, but I'm certain I'll have a few years of use on my cheap mill...

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby bruulog » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:35 pm

I was searching for good technical drawings for a 2 roll, adjustable etc mill. but did not find anything good I can walk with in to a local machine shop and ask for a quote. :)
Buying stuff from China weakens your country's economy (an you get poorer too) :cheers:
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Unread postby bierfest » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:11 am

I have a barley crusher with the extended hopper and it works perfectly. The only thing I would change is that I would like to see the hopper fixed in a stronger fashion to the mill roller housing. As its so tempting to pick up the mill and carry it around with the hopper I could see it coming lose after many years of doing this.

Im planning to fix a variable speed motor to it like Hoppyone has done. There is an interesting thread on one of the Aussie forums about this motor.

Alternatively as this is a Speidel themed forum and you are feeling flush with cash you could have one of these: http://speidels-braumeister.de/shop/de/ ... alstaender :D
bierfest

Unread postby niels » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:18 pm

bierfest wrote:Im planning to fix a variable speed motor to it like Hoppyone has done. There is an interesting thread on one of the Aussie forums about this motor.

Do you have a link to that thread? It could be interesting.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby bierfest » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:08 pm

Sure:

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/44766-mill-motors/
http://www.canberrabrewers.com.au/2013/07/grainmill/
http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/home-b ... oller.html

First link is the full thread so you can see how it developed,
Second article is a build by a brewer
third link is where you can buy the motor kit

Enjoy!
bierfest

Unread postby Dan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:19 am

I have one of those Motion Dynamics motors and speed controllers.
At full speed, the motor seems to run at the perfect RPM. So the speed controller isn't really essential. I only wind mine down to barely spinning so I can hit the rollers with a dry paint brush to clean them, but they're never very dirty anyway. Whenever I'm crushing, it runs at full speed.

You will need a power supply to drive the motor, and a coupling to go between the motor shaft and mill shaft.
Here is what I bought:
Power Supply - Tried a 20A but kept stalling - so must be at least 30A
Coupling

The mill is a Millmaster MiniMill, bought HERE - Not cheap, but neither was the BM :wink: - Buy right, pay once!!

Put them all together and this is what you get

-Overview:
IMG_1323.JPG
IMG_1323.JPG (54.46 KiB) Viewed 360 times

-The power switch and speed control:
IMG_1324.JPG

-Where the grain goes in (had a local company cut and bend the sheet metal):
IMG_1325.JPG

-Under the hood:
IMG_1326.JPG
Dan

Unread postby HopSong » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:39 am

Any idea what speed you ar milling at? You said full speed.. but, is that 100 rpm or 1000rpm or ??
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby Dan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:15 am

HbgBill wrote:Any idea what speed you ar milling at? You said full speed.. but, is that 100 rpm or 1000rpm or ??

Motion Dynamics quote a shaft speed of 160-180 RPM
Dan

Unread postby Dan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:23 am

PS - I forgot to mention I had to buy the shaft too - not supplied with the motor.
- 12mm
Dan

PreviousNext

Return to General Brewing Discussions