Grain mill?

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: Grain mill?

Unread postby HopSong » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:26 pm

Dinnerstick.. Not sure I can quite figure what you used for sleeves to connect to both the mill and the KA. Last picture.

Also, does the KA have enough torque to do the grinding with a full load of grain.. or do you have to gently feed it?

Thanks, Bill
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby perdido » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:22 am

I'm still using the cheap corona mill hooked up to an electric drill, not ideal but it gets the job done.
It's hard to adjust for an even crush and have been blaming it for the wort fountains I've been getting. But others with better 2-roll and even 3-roll mills are also suffering wort channeling...

Good to hear that the Brewferm 2-roll mill works well, since I'll probably be getting that (around 129€ plus shipping). It's the cheapest adjustable 2-roll mill that I can find.
perdido

Unread postby mrpilsner » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:05 am

Gentlemen and ladies,
(are there some women brewers amongst us?)

Have any of you opinions using a KitchenAid mixer to power their grain mill attachment? I do not yet own a mill although we have a powerful and underused mixer.

http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/countert ... hments-3/-[KGM]-400565/KGM/

http://www.kitchenaid.com/digitalassets ... 5X1290.jpg

I haven't yet milled grain, is it unpleasant or time consuming to mill 5 0r 6 kilos?

Thanks,
tom
litres later
mrpilsner

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:31 pm

It seems the general consensus is for a 1.2mm gap for the BM

Hi Dicko,
1.2mm / 0.048'' is considered a large gap in a grain mill, right?
Is it necessary to have a large gap for the BM? To avoid wort fountains and circulation problems?

I used to have a Corona mill too as there was no cheap alternative when I started brewing. It is not ideal, but it works too.

Hi Niels,
I have a corona too. How did you used to fine tune the mill?
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:25 pm

Luis Coentrao wrote:
It seems the general consensus is for a 1.2mm gap for the BM

Hi Dicko,
1.2mm / 0.048'' is considered a large gap in a grain mill, right?
Is it necessary to have a large gap for the BM? To avoid wort fountains and circulation problems?

I used to have a Corona mill too as there was no cheap alternative when I started brewing. It is not ideal, but it works too.

Hi Niels,

Hi LC,

Speidel recommend a coarser crush on the grain for mashing in a BM.
In my old 3v mash tun I had my mill set at .040" inches but had to increase the gap after my first brew on the BM due to signs of wort fountains and poor efficiency.
My mill is a 3 roller Crankenstein.
:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby niels » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:05 pm

Luis Coentrao wrote:Hi Niels,

I never used the corona mill for brewing on the Braumeister, only on our 3V setup.

I remember that we used to mill a bit of grains and check the result. Depending on the size of the grinded grains we opened or closed the mill a bit. Most of the times we made sure that there are no full grains left, so we've put it pretty wide.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby niels » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:11 pm

mrpilsner wrote:Gentlemen and ladies,
(are there some women brewers amongst us?)

Have any of you opinions using a KitchenAid mixer to power their grain mill attachment? I do not yet own a mill although we have a powerful and underused mixer.

http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/countert ... hments-3/-[KGM]-400565/KGM/

http://www.kitchenaid.com/digitalassets ... 5X1290.jpg

I haven't yet milled grain, is it unpleasant or time consuming to mill 5 0r 6 kilos?

Thanks,
tom

I have no experience with the KitchenAid mill, but it looks like it is similar to the corona type mill.

Cranking the mills by hand is doable with only 5~6 kilos of grain, but with most of the mills it is easy to connect a hand drill.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Elixir » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:13 am

I bought a Cereal Killer Grain Mill from Adventures in Homebrewing. About 100 USD and its great. I use the hand crank and can crush about 5kg of grain in 10 minutes and my efficiencies went up.
Elixir

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:02 pm

HbgBill wrote:Dinnerstick.. Not sure I can quite figure what you used for sleeves to connect to both the mill and the KA. Last picture.

Also, does the KA have enough torque to do the grinding with a full load of grain.. or do you have to gently feed it?

Thanks, Bill

just saw this now, so late reply. the connection to the mill is just a steel collar with a screw to tighten it down, and to the KA is a plastic stub that fits in the port. the machine has enough torque, but my grain hopper is small, it only fits maybe 1.5 or 2 kg. actually the problem is that the plastic is, well, too plastic; when crushing hard stuff like wheat it actually disfigures into a corkscrew shape. so back to the drawing board...
dinnerstick

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:04 pm

niels wrote:I have no experience with the KitchenAid mill, but it looks like it is similar to the corona type mill.

Cranking the mills by hand is doable with only 5~6 kilos of grain, but with most of the mills it is easy to connect a hand drill.

- Niels

yeah, my understanding is that the KA mill is designed to make your own flour, just like the corona was designed to make masa harina (maize flour for tortillas)
dinnerstick

Unread postby luk-cha » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:48 am

what setting are you guys setting your mills too?
luk-cha

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:20 am

i leave my jsp malt mill at the factory settings of 0.045" which translates to 1.1mm in real money. i don't have a gap tool, so can't really confirm the exact setting, and i have not played around with different crushes, as i like what i get from this setting
dinnerstick

Unread postby luk-cha » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:44 am

I have just picked up 1 of these http://millarsmills.com/barley-mills and yesterday when i milled the setting was 1.5, id say my efficiency has improved as i got 21L of 1.065 into the fermenter, where normally i was getting 21L of 1.060.
luk-cha

Unread postby cpa4ny » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:05 am

luk-cha wrote:I have just picked up 1 of these http://millarsmills.com/barley-mills and yesterday when i milled the setting was 1.5, id say my efficiency has improved as i got 21L of 1.065 into the fermenter, where normally i was getting 21L of 1.060.

That's from how many kg of grist?

Unread postby rocketman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:11 am

This is how I do, never had any problems, 0.9mm when doing BIAB and now 1.2mm (much easier)
the clip is from a 0.9mm milling.. I think its a two roller chinese variant I got. Bought it used.

rocketman

PreviousNext

Return to General Brewing Discussions