Grain mill?

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

RE: Grain mill?

Unread postby niels » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:50 pm

dinnerstick wrote:
cpa4ny wrote:Thanks DS; motorizing a mill with a KitchenAid - now that's an idea!

When you get a chance - could you kindly post a photo of how you connect the mill & the KA?

stand back, it's high frigging tech. err not really. but it works. i can't show it grinding grain as i'm not grinding any at the moment. i just set it up on the floor for the photos. it's a hand wrench with the handle ground down to a square that fits in the KA, with some flexible shafts, and the right size little clampt thing with a screw for the mill.

Very ingenious, but a simple electric drill seems a lot less work to set up ;)

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

RE: Grain mill?

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:46 pm

my cordless drill wouldn't turn the mill. not enough torque? not sure
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Re: Grain mill?

Unread postby Batz » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:14 am

There are so many mills on the market today. When I bought mine there was a Valley Mill (made in Canada) or a Barley Crusher, I went for the Valley Mill because shipping was less from Canada.

Valley mills are no longer made, mine is around 10 years old now and never missed a beat. It has knurling on the rollers like new, the rollers are on ball bearings not bushes, adjustment is via a single knob, it's sad quality like this is not longer available. I'll hate to think how many tonne I have put through this mill, even milled for a mate for a few years.

Photo is not my mill but mine is the same, I do have a motor driving it.

ValleyMill.jpg

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Re: RE: Grain mill?

Unread postby cpa4ny » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:57 am

dinnerstick wrote:
cpa4ny wrote:Thanks DS; motorizing a mill with a KitchenAid - now that's an idea!

When you get a chance - could you kindly post a photo of how you connect the mill & the KA?

stand back, it's high frigging tech. err not really. but it works. i can't show it grinding grain as i'm not grinding any at the moment. i just set it up on the floor for the photos. it's a hand wrench with the handle ground down to a square that fits in the KA, with some flexible shafts, and the right size little clampt thing with a screw for the mill.

Brilliant! Really nice engineering solution!

Those KitchenAids are built like mini-tanks - the torque and the speed must be just perfect.

Unread postby cpa4ny » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:02 am

Batz wrote:There are so many mills on the market today. When I bought mine there was a Valley Mill (made in Canada) or a Barley Crusher, I went for the Valley Mill because shipping was less from Canada.

Valley mills are no longer made, mine is around 10 years old now and never missed a beat. It has knurling on the rollers like new, the rollers are on ball bearings not bushes, adjustment is via a single knob, it's sad quality like this is not longer available. I'll hate to think how many tonne I have put through this mill, even milled for a mate for a few years.

Photo is not my mill but mine is the same, I do have a motor driving it.

Batz

Thanks for sharing Batz - sad to hear that this high-quality product is no longer available.

Unread postby Hoppyone » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:22 am

I just did my first brew with a mill master mini mill that I have motorised & put a water cooler bottle as my hopper, worked great with the first lot of grain through it this morning, i am need some advice on the proper gap setting as I lost a bit of efficiency on on the brew today.I have set it to 1.1mm.

photo.JPG
mill in use

Cheers

Ashley :D
Last edited by Hoppyone on Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoppyone

Unread postby cpa4ny » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:57 am

Great job on motorizing!

Which motor did you use, if you don't mind me asking?

Unread postby Hoppyone » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:20 am

It is a 12v DC worm driven motor from Motion Dynamics.
http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/home-b ... oller.html
Hoppyone

Unread postby cpa4ny » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:52 am

Thanks very much!

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Hoppyone wrote:
photo.JPG
I just did my first brew with a mill master mini mill that I have motorised & put a water cooler bottle as my hopper, worked great with the first lot of grain through it this morning, i am need some advice on the proper gap setting as I lost a bit of efficiency on on the brew today.I have set it to 1.1mm.

Cheers

That is a neat set up.

1.1mm gap is pretty close. It seems the general consensus is for a 1.2mm gap for the BM

You could experiment with the gap but you also may try giving the mash a stir during the mashing process and if you are losing efficiency with bigger beers then you may want to check your grain absorption figure.
If it is calculated too high then you will drop efficiency the more grain you use.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Hoppyone » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:38 pm

Dicko wrote:
Hoppyone wrote:
photo.JPG

Cheers

That is a neat set up.

1.1mm gap is pretty close. It seems the general consensus is for a 1.2mm gap for the BM

You could experiment with the gap but you also may try giving the mash a stir during the mashing process and if you are losing efficiency with bigger beers then you may want to check your grain absorption figure.
If it is calculated too high then you will drop efficiency the more grain you use.

Thanks Dicko, I have widened the gap to 1.2 mm & will see how that goes on my next brew, I have been playing with the grain absorption fiqure & may have put it too high, I will check it over the next few brews.
Hoppyone

Unread postby Soviet » Tue May 20, 2014 3:56 pm

I've got this one and I'm very happy with it after a year of using: http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shop/grain-m ... n-crusher/
Soviet

Re: RE: Grain mill?

Unread postby pmac » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:44 am

Cervantes wrote:I have one of these...............

Grain Mill

I didn't fit the handle though and use an electric drill.

It's the only mill I've ever used, so have nothing to compare it too, but it's quick and easy and seems to do what it says on the box.

Cheers
Andy

Hey Andy,

I also grabbed one of them off Ciaron. I am yet to use a drill on it - I do the old fashioned hand crank!

Interested to know what size gap you crush at with this? I am at about 1.1mm according to my gauge but I think it could still be too fine. Having said that I am happy with my efficiencies.

Cheers,

Paul.
pmac

Unread postby niels » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:35 am

Soviet wrote:I've got this one and I'm very happy with it after a year of using: http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shop/grain-m ... n-crusher/

That looks exactly like the Brewferm mill I have, which in turn is exactly the same as the Chinese mill that was bought in group by the Dutch forum.

That Chinese supplier has hit the target!

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Lylo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:38 pm

My Barley Crusher has done a fine job on over 70 brews.
This was one of the first things I bought because I live a long ways away from a supply store.
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

PreviousNext

Return to General Brewing Discussions