Grain mill?

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Grain mill?

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:41 am

Dear fellow BMers -

I currently buy my grains pre-crushed from LHBS; however, I consider getting my own mill (in my neck of the woods, a 25 kg bag of malt costs about 1/3 less than buying kg-by-kg).

I also would like to have more control over the crush.

Would be delighted if the forum participants can kindly share which mill they have and why they bought that particular model.

I am especially curious about 2-roll vs 3-roll choices.

(Currently eyeing on Monster's MM3-2.0). :D

Sláinte :beer:

Model: 20 litres

RE: Grain mill?

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:18 am

i've got a 2 roller jsp malt mill, with an attachment to drive it from the auxiliary port of a kitchenaid. i got it because it was the only dual-adjustable mill that wouldn't cost me a fortune to ship across the atlantic! i don't have much to compare it to, but i am happy with it. it's easy enough to hand crank 6 kg for a 20L batch.
dinnerstick

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:25 am

Thanks DS; motorizing a mill with a KitchenAid - now that's an idea!

When you get a chance - could you kindly post a photo of how you connect the mill & the KA?

Unread postby niels » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:04 am

I have the Brewferm one. It is a cheap alternative to the ones offered by US manufacturers. It cost me a little over 100 EUR which is a pretty fair price for the quality.

Running the mill with a cordless drill gets me through 6 kg of grains in a matter of minutes.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:55 am

Thanks for sharing Niels - all these years I wrongly thought that Brewferm only makes dry yeast!

That looks like a high-quality mill for the price that they are asking - I will look at it closely.

Unread postby fy0d0r » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:11 pm

I've got Crankandstein 2D (older model with no gearwheel part on the side)

Pretty happy with it, it is easily adjustable and 2 times cheaper than 3D
fy0d0r

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:57 pm

cpa4ny wrote:Thanks DS; motorizing a mill with a KitchenAid - now that's an idea!

When you get a chance - could you kindly post a photo of how you connect the mill & the KA?

yep, give me a day or so to find everything and get a photo. i just moved and the mill isn't set up yet
dinnerstick

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:10 pm

Fyodor / DS - thank you gents! :beer:

Fyodor - C&S mills have a really good reputation. I also started to wonder whether getting a 3-roll mill would be a major overkill for my 20L. I should probably stick to 2-rolls and use that extra money more wisely elsewhere :cheers:

DS - staying in Utrecht or moving to another city? Wish you a smooth move! I moved to my current apartment a couple of years ago and it was a major PITA. :beer:

Unread postby paddye » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:28 pm

I have something like this http://beersmith.com/barley-crusher/ its rated to do 50kg per hour if I hook it up to a power drill which you can do by attaching the drill chuck directly to the axle the handle was attached to.
paddye

Unread postby swiggingpig » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:37 pm

niels wrote:I have the Brewferm one. It is a cheap alternative to the ones offered by US manufacturers. It cost me a little over 100 EUR which is a pretty fair price for the quality.

Running the mill with a cordless drill gets me through 6 kg of grains in a matter of minutes.

Niels

i also use one of these with a cordless drill and been pleased with its performance.
20L BM with Jacket and Copper Hood
swiggingpig

Unread postby Cervantes » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:32 pm

I have one of these...............

Grain Mill

I didn't fit the handle though and use an electric drill.

It's the only mill I've ever used, so have nothing to compare it too, but it's quick and easy and seems to do what it says on the box.

Cheers
Andy
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby cpa4ny » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:27 am

Thank you all - that was very helpful!

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:08 am

niels wrote:I have the Brewferm one. It is a cheap alternative to the ones offered by US manufacturers. It cost me a little over 100 EUR which is a pretty fair price for the quality.

Niels

Niels is this the 2-roller adjustable one? ie not the corona mill. That must be what you mean! I had the cheap brewferm mill, which is a corona mill in a brewferm box, for a while, before they started selling a roller mill. Although i wouldn't recommend it since it shears rather than crushes, is a pain to assemble, is extremely slow and hard work, i did use it with the BM successfully for quite a while.
dinnerstick

Unread postby niels » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:44 pm

dinnerstick wrote:Niels is this the 2-roller adjustable one? ie not the corona mill. That must be what you mean! I had the cheap brewferm mill, which is a corona mill in a brewferm box, for a while, before they started selling a roller mill. Although i wouldn't recommend it since it shears rather than crushes, is a pain to assemble, is extremely slow and hard work, i did use it with the BM successfully for quite a while.

It is the roller mill from Brewferm. It has one adjustable roller and seems to be exactly the same one as the Chinese mill that was bought in bulk via Hobbybrouwen.nl.

I used to have a Corona mill too as there was no cheap alternative when I started brewing. It is not ideal, but it works too.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:03 pm

cpa4ny wrote:Thanks DS; motorizing a mill with a KitchenAid - now that's an idea!

stand back, it's high frigging tech. err not really. but it works. i can't show it grinding grain as i'm not grinding any at the moment. i just set it up on the floor for the photos. it's a hand wrench with the handle ground down to a square that fits in the KA, with some flexible shafts, and the right size little clampt thing with a screw for the mill.

mill_01.jpg
mill_02.jpg
mill_03.jpg
dinnerstick

Next

Return to General Brewing Discussions