BM Arrived!

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

BM Arrived!

Unread postby Nath83 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:22 pm

Hi guys,

My BM20 finally arrived last week and I managed to pump out a brew on the weekend.

Not sure why I picked such a big brew for my first batch, but I guess I like to live on the silly side :)

The grain bill was 5.5kg and 1kg Dex - IIPA recipe. I ended up missing target OG by 9 points! I can't remember the exact mash schedule, but it was something like:

52 for 15min
67 for 35min
72 for 35min
78 for 15min

Boiled for 90mins, could only get to 99C, but I figured this was ok as it was rolling a little. The brew shop who gave me the recipe crushed it at 1.5mm not 1.2mm. I mashed in with 25L water and sparged with 8L

I only ended up with a measured efficiency of 63% for the day. Besides the grain crush and qty of grain, what other reasons/suggestions would there be to improve this?

Cheers
Nath
Nath83

RE: BM Arrived!

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:36 am

It will take a few brews to get your figures and efficiency sorted.

Grain crush is fairly important when it comes to the BM efficiency. From all reports 1.2mm seems to be the sweet spot.

If you have set your boil temp to 102deg c then it will generally show 99deg c at a steady boil.......this wont be vigorous.

Once you have determined your boil off and your grain absorption then you can accurately determine your "water needed" figure, which will then give you the result for the "Mash Efficiency" of your system. Don't confuse this figure with "brewhouse efficiency".
On my 20l BM my Mash efficiency is 80% average but my Brewhouse efficiency is only 63% due to the fact that after I chill I let the wort stand for up to an hour in the kettle and in that time all the break and trub drop to the bottom and from there I have clear wort into the fermenter. I usually lose around 4 litres to trub in the kettle and another litre or so in the fermenter after fermentation.

Your water figures sound pretty close for a 90 minute boil.

Taking measurements and recording results is important until you have your BM sorted.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Nath83 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:53 am

Great, thanks for the reply, Dicko!
Nath83

Unread postby paddye » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi Dicko, when you say 1.2mm do you mean the distance between the rollers in your mill?
paddye

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:46 pm

paddye wrote:Hi Dicko, when you say 1.2mm do you mean the distance between the rollers in your mill?

Hi paddye,

Yes mate, 1.2 seems to be what most BM users end up with.
That is what I have mine currently set to and I consistently get the figures quoted in my above post.
I have 2 mates that have a different brand of mill to mine and they get a few percentage points higher mash efficiency than me but all in all, fairly close results.

As with all brewing you need to experiment changing one thing at a time and note your results for future adjustments.

You will still make beer so don't sweat it too much...:D:beer:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby paddye » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:42 pm

Dicko wrote:
paddye wrote:Hi Dicko, when you say 1.2mm do you mean the distance between the rollers in your mill?

Hi paddye,

Yes mate, 1.2 seems to be what most BM users end up with.
That is what I have mine currently set to and I consistently get the figures quoted in my above post.
I have 2 mates that have a different brand of mill to mine and they get a few percentage points higher mash efficiency than me but all in all, fairly close results.

As with all brewing you need to experiment changing one thing at a time and note your results for future adjustments.

You will still make beer so don't sweat it too much...:D:beer:

Thanks Dicko,

My main concern at this point is avoiding wort fountains, I'll start with 1.2mm and adjust down from there if need be. I have something that looks like the brewferm mill.
paddye

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:17 pm

I have never had a wort fountain but have seen them on U Tube,:D

From all reports they are caused by too finer crush on the malts.
Dicko

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:42 am

Dicko wrote:I have never had a wort fountain but have seen them on U Tube,:D

me neither. i have had channeling but never a fountain, even with my old corona mill (long gone now). paddye i recommend pausing the program at several points during the mash (at pump breaks or at any old time), opening up the malt tube and giving it a good stir. tap off a few liters and pour that over the top to assist with stirring, and rinsing off your spoon/paddle. also if you have a good thermometer, check the temp at different points around the top plate when wort is flowing. you should have a pretty even temp, if you have hot and cold spots it's symptomatic of channeling
dinnerstick

Unread postby Lylo » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:12 pm

I had bad fountains on a dry stout that I double crushed the roasted barley on. ( as per Jamil)
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:00 pm

Lylo wrote:I had bad fountains on a dry stout that I double crushed the roasted barley on. ( as per Jamil)

i've done his dry stout recipe a couple times, i grind the roast in a food mill until powder, spread it on top of the mash in the last minutes. it has always been a super easy mash for me, small grain bill and no problems even with the high percentage of flakes.
dinnerstick

Unread postby Lylo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:31 am

Idea taken. Thanks dinnerstick.
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby paddye » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:34 am

dinnerstick wrote:
Dicko wrote:I have never had a wort fountain but have seen them on U Tube,:D

me neither. i have had channeling but never a fountain, even with my old corona mill (long gone now). paddye i recommend pausing the program at several points during the mash (at pump breaks or at any old time), opening up the malt tube and giving it a good stir. tap off a few liters and pour that over the top to assist with stirring, and rinsing off your spoon/paddle. also if you have a good thermometer, check the temp at different points around the top plate when wort is flowing. you should have a pretty even temp, if you have hot and cold spots it's symptomatic of channeling

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep in mind.
paddye

Return to General Brewing Discussions