Massively underpitched ale

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...
grooves
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread post

I brewed last Sunday from stepped up revived frozen yeast. I pitched a small vial of 4ml of yeast slurry to (edit: forgot the write about the first step so step 4ml ->100ml -> 1l -> 1l) 100ml of starter and then after 24h pitched the into 1l of starter, and then after 24h crashed and poured off 80%, and pitched the remainder into 1l of new starter for about 48h - as I could only brew a day later than planned (hangover).

The brew went well and again I poured off 80% and pitched the rest into the wort - only then I had a chance to do a yeast count under the microscope - I did a x20 dilution as I was expecting loads of cells - but there were hardly any, and I calculated my pitch to be only ~ 20 billion! I was expecting 10 times that.

Anyway it's now Saturday and it's still fermenting strongly, but has only gone from 1.047 to 1.024... I saw quite a bit of what I took to be bacteria under the microscope too - but the beer tastes fine, so now it's just a case of if it can ferment out and what the final taste will be like. Anyone else managed to mess up the amount of yeast as much as this?
grooves
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread post

Well after 17 days it has settled out at 1.012 for attenuation of 74% - bang in the middle of the published range of 72-78%. WLP051 is known to be a slow fermentor but it's obviously taken ages due to the underpitch. The aroma is a bit wine musty, sharp and a bit yeasty, but it's pretty tasty. I'll crash and fine with gelatine for a couple of days and then keg. I'll not sure how stable this beer will be, so I'll have to guzzle it during this lockdown...