Difficult beer to clone

Come in and sit with us at the bar. Jokes, politics, rants, ...

Difficult beer to clone

Unread postby McMullan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:50 am

Not that you'd want to:

http://www.visir.is/icelandic-seasonal- ... 5150109150

What do others think about the outlandish persuits of professional home brewers (sorry 'craft brewers')? I read an article about a 'craft brewer' who's brewing with yeast harvested from his beard :lol: And another with a bacon addition :x Any more?
McMullan

Model: 20 litres

Re: Difficult beer to clone

Unread postby 3LB » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:03 am

Kinda in the same league as Rocky Mountain oysters, no? :roll:

I don't think I'll be going to Iceland pretty soon and I can imagine the export market for this particular beer is pretty limited... ;)

But, to be honest, it's quite strange that we all (well, many of us anyway) try to work as hygienically as possible, calculate our ingredients as well as possible and try and control eg the fermentation temperature to within half a degree C but the practice of fermenting beer with wild yeasts in cobwebby uncleaned 'barns' in the 'Zennevallei' near Brussels persists to this day, producing truly wonderful beers. (If you like this sour beer style, that is.)

OT: Has anybody on the forum tasted this beer yet? Possibly if you do so unreservedly - without knowing the peculiar mix of ingredients - you'd be in for a pleasant surprise?

By the way, the beer was even mentioned on one of the big national radio stations, I heard last Wednesday when driving home from work. It's also been published on a Dutch beer site here.

Cheers,
John
3LB

Unread postby BrauTim » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:44 am

I had a bottle of Lindemann Oude Gueuze Grand Cuvee last night, it's a lambic at 5.5%, I had no idea what this particular beer tasted like before I tried it (I got a load of Belgian pick n mix for Xmas from my lovely wife) it was a lovely beer, it tasted almost the same as a beer I tried to clone which was based on a Duvel recipe.

So I tried to brew a Duvel that ended up as Oude Gueuze and I thought I had flaws in it ! What do us homebrewers really know hey? Could I repeat it? I've no idea, but I'll have fun trying sometime.

Anything goes in my book, it's all in the taste at the end of the day.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby McMullan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:16 pm

Sure, it’s important to be open-minded and try new things. I tried whale meat once. It tastes like shit. (Whatever that tastes like?) I’d say that’s how our individual tastes evolve. Personally, I subscribe to Louis Pasteur’s Patent. I like the freedom of being in control. I don’t have the patience to make lambic. Besides, I don’t live in the Pajottenland region so I couldn’t use the unique microflora that’s probably been selected for over centuries of brewing that traditional Belgian style in that region. The first time I tried a lambic was when I was forced to spend a night in Brussels, because of that volcanic ash cloud grounding all flights across Europe. I took it up to the bar and complained in was ‘off, maybe infected’ :oops:

My point really was whether some craft breweries are trying a bit too hard to be different (in an increasingly competitive market?) by shocking us with outlandish recipes. I don’t know. Maybe this Icelandic brew really is the dog’s bollocks (though it claims to be the whale’s bollocks). But I’m not that open minded. Who comes up with ideas like that? It’s weird, not creative.
McMullan

Unread postby BrauTim » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:29 pm

I'm sure if you go diggin in the history books you might find references to preserving meat in beer, you can see where the idea might have come from and in those days they wouldn't have wasted any of that precious alcohol :lol:
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby McMullan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:09 pm

Beer has always been far too valuable to waste as a preservative. When you find a credible reference, ignore it. It will be nothing but biased lies :lol:
McMullan

Return to The Pub