doing stupid things here and there helps keep you grounded.

Come in and sit with us at the bar. Jokes, politics, rants, ...

doing stupid things here and there helps keep you grounded.

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:56 pm

what did i just do.... kegged up a beer a few days back, went in for the first little cheeky sip before actually tapping the keg. stuck a picnic tap on a little bit of tubing and onto the keg it went. i should say, the keg was under quite high (2 bar) pressure. poured off the first yeasty bit, and filled a couple glasses with the foam that came out, which (eventually) settled into a very nice taste of my herfst bok. but, when i stopped pouring, the high pressure fired the picnic tap across the room (no hose clamps in use), and began what i now refer to as the brown firehose episode, spraying lovely malty foam absolutely everywhere. you can imagine. luckily i was kneeling down near the fridge, and knew immediately to unplug the ball lock adapter from the keg, but the brain works faster than the limbs, so i had to wait a few painful milliseconds, watching my stupid slow arms, while they figured out how to get themselves away from the glass and over towards the keg, and finally yank the stupid thing off after a good few seconds of the bokbier shower. all in all it wasn't so bad, i keep a lot of old towels around because i am prone to doing shit like this, and not that much beer was lost, and changed into sweat pants. the floor is still sticky, and the room smells amazing. the beer is good by the way. not a true bok/bock as i used cal ale yeast fermented at 15c rather than my usual 2206 lager yeast. first time doing that but the results are really nice, any fruitiness that it contributes melds in nicely with the dark dried fruits of the munich and dark crystal malts.
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Re: doing stupid things here and there helps keep you ground

Unread postby jasu3 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:32 pm

the floor is still sticky, and the room smells amazing.

That was funny! Been there and done that!
jasu3

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby niels » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:41 am

Well, you can easily explain to your girlfriend while you were licking the floor.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby royco » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:49 am

Haha, excuse the mirth, but I had the same scenario only last week. Except yours was accidental with the pipe coming off. I connected a G-type coupler to the gas and clamped it to the keg before putting on the beer line, thinking there was some miraculous cutoff system. Then a few microseconds of approach-approach conflict while the brain processed the info -- plug the hole, switch off the gas, remove the coupler? Yes, remove the coupler. By then the "beer hydrant" had sprayed the wall, floor and added 4L of beer into the bottom of my conditioning freezer!
I must have an IQ of 42 (not the "answer to the question about life, the universe" etc) because I have done this twice. :oops:
royco

Unread postby BrauTim » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:09 pm

royco wrote: By then the "beer hydrant" had sprayed the wall, floor and added 4L of beer into the bottom of my conditioning freezer!

SNAP! 2 days ago, hadn't realised the party tap was locked open, pushed down on my Sankey connector to lock onto the keg, brown Porter spraying everywhere, walls, keezer, face, clothes........

Not the first time and won't be the last :lol:
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby Elderberry » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:19 am

Learning experiences are fun! This reminds me of a similar learning experience I had: We have one of those Soda Club things for carbonating water. We love the thing. Bubbles rule. A homebrewer friend who kegs his beer gave me a couple bottles of a beer of his that he filled from the keg without using a beer gun or anything. So, the beer in the bottles was pretty flat. You see where this is going, right? I'll get to the point: Follow the Soda Club instructions that say, "Use only with water."
Elderberry

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:41 pm

haha! wish i could have seen it.

carbonator caps are great for that (if you have a co2) tank by the way.
dinnerstick

Unread postby redwing_al » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:12 pm

after reading this, I had a small mishap just yesterday. Enjoy! http://youtu.be/JvlQIyZ_AiU
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:
FastFermenting Vessel 1: ~
FastFermenting Vessel 2: ~
Next Up: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy (Wheat IPA)

Total BM Brews: 10
redwing_al

Unread postby ibbones » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:36 pm

redwing_al wrote:after reading this, I had a small mishap just yesterday. Enjoy! http://youtu.be/JvlQIyZ_AiU

I have done that more than once. And I had the hose IN MY HAND. I tried to fill my hydrometer tube up while I was racking and missed the tube. Panicked and missed two more times. :oops:
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby BrauTim » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:11 pm

That's a good one, done that before, made me laugh. Today's brew saw me mopping up sweet wort from the floor - as I was draining the BM into the fermenter I had left the fermenter's bottom tap open, doh! The other almost disaster of the day was when the water output side of the immersion chiller decided to forcefully pop itself off and water just started pouring over the floor, hopefully no contamination.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:46 pm

Unread postby malzrohr » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:07 am

Nesto wrote:Checklists people! Checklists!!
https://forum.braumeisters.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=269

You might want to add "check the fridge thermostat".

image.jpg
21liter Märzen Popsicle due to faulty fridge thermostat.
Last edited by malzrohr on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Unread postby niels » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:17 am

malzrohr wrote:You might want to add "check the fridge thermostat".

You could make a Ice Märzen ;)

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby royco » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:54 pm

OK, I am officially Baron Von Wort-Hydrant. This is the 3rd time for crying out loud. I read last week that it is a good idea to purge Cornies by attaching a beer connector to the CO2 line. I plugged in the beer connector first. I was aiming the other end of the pipe at the CO2 manifold. Beer squirted over my head........onto the ceiling.........the walls...... and into the bottom of my kegerator. Again. Of course I was getting used to it by then.
AAARRGGHHH!
royco

Unread postby RobW » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:49 pm

redwing_al wrote:after reading this, I had a small mishap just yesterday. Enjoy! http://youtu.be/JvlQIyZ_AiU

FWIW, to avoid oxygenation, I would make sure that the transfer tube goes right to the bottom of the keg and also to purge the keg with CO2 before starting the transfer.
RobW

Next

Return to The Pub