Burning Problems

Come in and sit with us at the bar. Jokes, politics, rants, ...

Burning Problems

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:23 pm

I had just turned on the water to my immersion chiller, collecting the hot water in a keg to use for cleaning later, dunno what happened, maybe just a big bubble passing through the hose, but the silicon tubing flew out of the keg and sprayed the first bit of ~100 degree cooling water all over the place, including on both of my previously cool arms, and my formerly handsome face! i came out of it ok, i think quite minor burns, got cold water and aloe on the affected areas quickly, after restoring some order to the cooling operation. that sensitive skin on the inside of the elbow is not feeling great, and my cheek is unhappy, but luckily my brewer's beard did its thing and protected my drinking hole aka mouth. anyways i am going to be a bit more careful in the future! and i hope everyone else is too....
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Re: Burning Problems

Unread postby malzrohr » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:33 pm

Good to read nothing really bad happened and that you are OK. Thanks for the heads up and another item on my check list.
Last edited by malzrohr on Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Unread postby HopSong » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:21 pm

I've always been cautious about this. I have a copper chiller and ALWAYS, during the cleaning process. hold the chiller upside down and slowly rotate it to get all the water to drain out. Glad you are OK.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby Elderberry » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:44 am

Glad you're ok, but the real question is: How's the beer?
Elderberry

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:42 am

we'll see.... fermenting away happily. since it's more fun to discuss the beer than the burn (red splotches, some minor blisters, not much pain once the initial sharpness was over), i made this beer for my father in law who redesigned and directed the rebuilding of my house, for free. i owe him big time. he, my father and i did the grunt work over a month or so; changed walls, moved bathroom, new kitchen, etc (made a little brew room) with a few friends and relatives pitching in occasionally. anyways he likes beer but is not highly adventurous, he likes amstel, palm, and grolsch herfstbok. i'm sure some locals have had this beer, it's incredibly sweet. way too sweet, but it's his favorite especially in the winter. he stockpiles it and drinks it into the spring when it's long gone from the shelves. he did like a malty english brown ale i made, but i wanted to make something just for him, so i made a hybrid bock-ale (b-ale? in tribute to the great welshman?); i didn't have the time or space for a big lager right now, so it's a very malty medium-dark german bock grain bill, fermented with s05/california ale yeast at 15 degrees. i was going to load it with crystal malt but i couldn't do it, chickened out at the last minute. it has some crystal 120ebc and some cara-aroma 350ebc, base of pils and munich, bit of carafa s3 for color, just a 60 minute hop addition for ~26 ibu, OG 1.070.
dinnerstick

Return to The Pub