Amsterdam

Come in and sit with us at the bar. Jokes, politics, rants, ...

Amsterdam

Unread postby BrauTim » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:08 pm

Going next week, anyone got any recommendations for bars with a good selection of beers to try ?

:beer:
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Re: Amsterdam

Unread postby Oz11 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:23 pm

To get you started: In De wildeman
FV: Northdown/EKG Bitter
Cond: Oatmeal Stout
On MiniKeg: Boadicea Bitter, Single Hop Boadicea, Dogbolter, US Amber
Bottled: Triple Stout, English Wheat Beer, Salem Porter, Triple Stout '15, JHB, Exmoor Gold, APA, Foundryman's Gold, Whitbread 1905 XK, US IPA, Irish Stout, SNPA, Autumn Mild, US Stout, Summit IPA, Milk Stout, Jaipur, 1930's Courage Stout

http://www.PubsAndBeer.co.uk
Oz11

Location: Tonbridge, Kent. UK. Brewing at the Rockin Robin Brewery (15BBL), Maidstone.
Model: 20 litres

Unread postby darthballs » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:27 pm

Oooooh very very nice.

Loads of bars to see in Amsterdam a good book to get is around Amsterdam in 80 beers http://www.amazon.co.uk/Around-Amsterdam-Beers-Tim-Skelton/dp/0954778960

But my favourite bars are:

Gollem
In De Wildeman
De Bekeerde Suster
Arendsnest Proeflokaal
Beer Temple
Cafe Belgique
Het Elfde Gebod
De Prael Proeflokaal
Gollem's Proeflokaal
Hoppe
Brouwerij 't IJ
Gollem 2

I am off there with some mates next month on 23rd October for the 37th PINT Bokbier Festival, nom nom nom, it'll be our 5th year attending on the trot :-)

I love the bokbier festival and Amsterdam, so many lovely nice beers and so many excellent bars, enjoy!
darthballs

Unread postby malzrohr » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:33 pm

café Gollem is not far from In de Wildeman.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:17 pm

already mentioned, but the big 3 craft beer places are wildeman, arendsnest, beer temple, for bottles the bier koning is a must. should you make the 25 minute train journey to utrecht please try my beer on tap at kafe belgie, smokey the barracuda!!
dinnerstick

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:58 am

Some great suggestions guys, I am working on a walking/cycling route to take in various bars and cafes :D

Dinnerstick - I would love to come down and sample your beer, I'm not sure we'll find the time to get to Utrecht though, will have to make a decision once we are there, I can foresee a very non-sober weekend ahead.
BrauTim

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:48 pm

enjoy your trip! non-sober sounds like fun, but can get tiring... should you get to utrecht there are a few beer destinations worth visiting, other than kafe belgie and its ~20 taps (some always occupied by the less than exciting leffe, jupiler, chouffe, etc but the others always changing craft beers) there's a new(ish) place called drie dorstige herten (three thirsty deers), a stone's throw away, that has chosen to specialize in the upcoming dutch craft beer scene, so they have maybe 8 taps and a really solid bottle list that also features excellent belgian, british, yank, scando, etc. brews, and they are really into talking you through exactly what you might want to try, and then serving it properly. kafe de rat has a few interesting taps and an extensive list of vintage and non-vintage lambic, gueuze bottles. then there's a place called proeflokaal rubens, it's a little living room with a couple tables and a cat, with a very small selection of nice wines, whiskys, and oud jenever (=dutch version of whisky) and cheese/sausage platters. not a beer place per se but great for a sunday afternoon tipple.
dinnerstick

Unread postby BrauTim » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:07 am

Wow - tasting team BrauTim (me and my wife) are really impressed with the Dutch Beers, we visited almost every pub on the list and they didn't disappoint, lots of local ales on tap, some good atmosphere, ignore the prices and just sample.

I can't remember any names of beers but I personally liked the Dutch Stouts better than Irish (or traditional Stouts), Porters were absolutely delicious and the darker Red ales were great and it goes without saying that the Wheat beers are fantastic. The Stouts were almost as light in colour as the Porters.

I detected a common yeast theme amongst the different beers we tasted, somewhere between German Wheat yeast and Belgian yeast in flavour, does anyone know what the yeast is most used by Dutch brewers? Also I'm guessing that some of the darker and amber ales use Special B to get the dark red and plummy flavours, really good inspiration for some of my own beers.

So thankyou for your suggestions, we would have been at a loss without a little knowledge, Amsterdam is a top location, next time we will try and fit Utrecht in also.
BrauTim

Return to The Pub